Valve Finally Announces new Half-Life Game, but...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Valve can not count past 2!

Its been proven on almost any game they make.

Team Fortress
Left for Dead
Half Life
Portal.

They can only count to 2.

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I was staring at that Twitter post not able to put words on what I am feeling about this right now. I still can't. So all I'm going to say is this: No.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Valve stated in the past that they would release 3 VR titles, so they will actually release 2 VR titles and can the last one when they realize that even a new Half Life isn't going to get people on the VR train...

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Even if they don't want to make a true Half-Life (or Left For Dead for that matter) sequels, there are plenty of game studios they could license it to.

Even if the games don't live up to expectations (which they likely could never do), there is so much money they are leaving on the table by not doing it.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Even if they don't want to make a true Half-Life (or Left For Dead for that matter) sequels, there are plenty of game studios they could license it to.

Even if the games don't live up to expectations (which they likely could never do), there is so much money they are leaving on the table by not doing it.

- I'd rather the Half-Life series remain in stasis than have it farmed out to some 3rd rate dev.

All I can say about this title is that I hope its the kind of game that will translate to a non-VR FPS experience sometime down the line, although with Valve trying to make "killer apps" for their VR system I can easily see the game staying VR due to either Valve's obstinate insistence on VR or certain game elements not properly transitioning to a non-VR environment.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
- I'd rather the Half-Life series remain in stasis than have it farmed out to some 3rd rate dev.
I agree. However, there are some very good developers out there, so they wouldn't have to license it out to just anybody.

They could even allow a developer to take all the time it needs to get it right. If one thing Valve has shown the world since they came along, they are in absolutely no hurry for anything. :p

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I doubt this will be anywhere near as impactful a game as HL1, 2 or Portal 1,2 were. Probably be a nice showcase for their new VR set controllers like they mention and that's it.

The install base of VR on PC is really low, and I doubt there will be a huge rush of people running out to pick up their VR kit for the game.

Disappointing if you've been waiting on another real HL game to release, I don't think this will be it.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I agree. However, there are some very good developers out there, so they wouldn't have to license it out to just anybody.

They could even allow a developer to take all the time it needs to get it right. If one thing Valve has shown the world since they came along, they are in absolutely no hurry for anything. :p

- I don't disagree, but who do you think could capture the sort of elegant, sublime story/gameplay elements of the first two and 2/3 games? I don't even think Valve could really pull it off at this point as much of the talent that made the first two games is gone now, and its not a situation like Oblivion where basically all the old Black Isle folks just ended up at a new studio; to the best of my knowledge all the old Valve talent basically dissapated into the industry or got out of it altogether.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I doubt this will be anywhere near as impactful a game as HL1, 2 or Portal 1,2 were. Probably be a nice showcase for their new VR set controllers like they mention and that's it.

The install base of VR on PC is really low, and I doubt there will be a huge rush of people running out to pick up their VR kit for the game.

Disappointing if you've been waiting on another real HL game to release, I don't think this will be it.

I'd be happy if they released a new episode every month until the end of time. There's still such a huge fanbase for it, and look how well it's working for Disney to release the Mandalorian on a weekly basis. Just hire a good writer & sub-contract out the game to a quality studio & keep the episodes pumping out! Endless cash cow...

Reactions: JEDIYoda

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
- I don't disagree, but who do you think could capture the sort of elegant, sublime story/gameplay elements of the first two and 2/3 games? I don't even think Valve could really pull it off at this point as much of the talent that made the first two games is gone now, and its not a situation like Oblivion where basically all the old Black Isle folks just ended up at a new studio; to the best of my knowledge all the old Valve talent basically dissapated into the industry or got out of it altogether.
I doubt they could.

I think a game with a history and a reputation like Half-Life, regardless of how good the follow-up was, would never meet people's expectations. It's been discussed for so many years, it's one of the very few "mythical" status games that will always be remembered as almost perfect.

That said, if they had a great story and put the money and time into it, they could make a really great game. If they ever do decide to make a follow-up, I just wouldn't want it to turn out to be a game like how Duke Nukem Forever. It took forever, was discussed and joked about to death, and was hyped by the developer. That game was a perfect example of what not to do.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
VR can be awesome and awful at times, dunno how much of the valve index tips the scale. At $1500 though I’d be looking at cheaper options like the rift to play the new half life game...if it’s even good

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
Ima start replaying hl 1,2 and episode 1/2 in anticipation. Hopefully the story picks up from episode 2!

Reactions: Kaido

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010

I used to think similarly, however, so much time has passed and Laidlaw's "conclusion" to the episodic series that followed HL2 came across as a realistic, yet half-baked end to a story that deserved so much more. HL has legions of fans, modders, and indie developers (see Black Mesa) that could surely match or exceed the vision that Valve once had for the franchise. Heck, I'd sign up now if they wanted some writing direction and concept art. They wouldn't even have to pay me.

As for it turning into a true FPS over time... don't hold your breath. They tote it as a "flagship" VR game, which to me translates into "we are going to dump every resource we can into making this a AAA VR game."

Feb 4, 2009
Who knows, I agree valve as a company is really neurotic and appears to be controlled chaos.
I have no horse in this race, I know I’ll attract anger but the main reason I purchased the orange box was for half-life 2 & 2 1/2
I hated both games, I struggled to play more than 10 minutes of two. I felt the games were too stiff & scripted.
At the time I was really disappointed team fortress 2 went with small maps, lower player counts and a cartoon look. I was really looking forward to what steam teased about TF2, a hardcore, big map, tons of players Military sim.
One night after work I was pretty bummed the orange box turned out to be so crappy, the half-life games were a major let down, portal just wasn’t fun, I figured I’d try the crappy looking team fortress game.
I immediately fell in love, played that game hundreds of hours over years. I still occasionally load it during holiday events.

Guess my long winded point is let’s wait and see what it is.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Full length VR game? So what, like 4 hours long tops...

At least the Index VR device isn't that expensive oh wait yes it most certainly is.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I know I’ll attract anger but the main reason I purchased the orange box was for half-life 2 & 2 1/2
I hated both games, I struggled to play more than 10 minutes of two. I felt the games were too stiff & scripted.
Not anger, but pity. :p HL2 and D3 were games that needed to be played when released to properly evaluate and enjoy. As Dana Carvey's old man character on SNL always shouted "That was all there was, and we liked it!" Youtube it if you are going "who?". He was Garth on Wayne's World.

HL was a watershed game, and HL2 was a worthy successor. The only people that derided it back then, were Nvidia loyalists, contrarians, a few authentic gamers that did not dig it, and literally paid tRollos. Did I misspell that? ;)

I personally think HL2 and D3 were some of the first AAA titles to hit the level of audio, atmosphere, and graphics, necessary for my full immersion. Positional audio and atmosphere made me about jump out of my chair the first time I played D3. And HL2 had some moments that were creepy as heck too. As to heavily scripted and stiff, that sounds like the Drake's Fortune series, Tomb Raiders, and a plethora of other games. They just call it Cinematic now. /my POV.

Feb 4, 2009
Listed for Pre-Order on Steam, "coming 2020"

VR is required
Has pretty hefty system requirements.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Listed for Pre-Order on Steam, "coming 2020"

VR is required
Has pretty hefty system requirements.
I only see these listed as minimum requirements (outside of a compatible VR headset of course). But this is a VR game, so that's expected.

Otherwise, these requirements are pretty low for a major game in 2019/2020, IMO.

5.jpg

Reactions: DAPUNISHER