UT3 beta demo is out now!

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
I gave the demo another go yesterday and played some team DM. That was more interesting although I got annoyed with the bots asking for help but giving no clue as to where they were.

Everything works for me (bar the UK keyboard goof) except I can't connect to an online game. I ask it to find a match for any game type, it says it's searching for half a second, then "Connecting..." forever. My router lights are going apeshit but nothing happens :confused: No software firewalls, no Windows firewall but no joy. Do I need to port forward?

I tried looking on the official forums but the main problem there is either splash screen crashes, or people arguing with each other about UT v3432423 being better than v23413213.

I have to disable my anti-virus to connect to a game, otherwise I get the same issue as you. Might be worth a shot if you have not already tried it. :)

KT

Dec 27, 2001
I'd like the add to this thread that you don't need a Fileplanet "subscription" you just have to have an account. I'm DLing as we speak..........with very low expectations I might add. It's just that I have this 8800GTS sitting in this machine. I didn't like UT2004 in the least.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I have to disable my anti-virus to connect to a game, otherwise I get the same issue as you. Might be worth a shot if you have not already tried it. :)

That didn't help but I hadn't thought of it, thanks.

I gave up on the instant (lack of) action option and tried joining manually. The browser is hopeless, I love how it ignores the filters completely. I could only find 1 team DM server and 23 DM servers. Played on 2 of the DM servers, both of them had random lag even though the ping was approx 30.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
I didn't like UT2004 in the least.

Well then sorry but you probably won't like this one much either. It plays very similar.
Wait for StarCraft 2?

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: ryan256

Well then sorry but you probably won't like this one much either. It plays very similar.
Wait for StarCraft 2?

Yeah, I give UT3 two thumbs "meh". Ran VERY smoothly on an 8800GTS though. That bodes will for the games that get built on the engine.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i keep getting killed and i have no idea whats killing me or where it came from. this pisses me off. Iliek in TF2 how it shows you who killed you when you die.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004

Wait for StarCraft 2?

Yeah, I give UT3 two thumbs "meh". Ran VERY smoothly on an 8800GTS though. That bodes will for the games that get built on the engine.

Isn't that the whole point, though? I think they're more interested in making tech demos to license the engine. The game itself is secondary.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
i keep getting killed and i have no idea whats killing me or where it came from. this pisses me off. Iliek in TF2 how it shows you who killed you when you die.

Here's a link to an article that contains some UT3 Demo tips:

http://planetunreal.gamespy.co...Articles.Detail&id=109

To see the death messages, you need to modify one of your .ini files:

5. How do I enable death messages in the demo?

1) Open: My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config\UTGame.ini

2) Find:
[UTGame.UTDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=true

[UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=true

Change to:
[UTGame.UTDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false

[UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: daveymark
really wish you could drop weapons. now when the avril runs out, you're screwed until you die

Yeah, Epic messed up on that one and I'm sure they've received feedback about it. It's been suggested that they removed the drop weapon ability because console gamepads don't have a button for it. Hopefully they'll include it in the full version. Alternatively, someone will make a mod.

Oct 30, 2004

Wait for StarCraft 2?

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. A great many UT99 lovers disliked the UT 2003/2004 game play, however, from what I can tell, most of those very same people like the UT3 game play which feels much more like UT99. In fact, I've been referring to it as "UT99-2".

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
really wish you could drop weapons. now when the avril runs out, you're screwed until you die

I don't understand what you mean. how are you screwed? why would you need to drop a weapon when you can carry every single weapon in the game?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

I don't understand what you mean. how are you screwed? why would you need to drop a weapon when you can carry every single weapon in the game?

The avril's specifically an anti-vehicle weapon. If you run out of ammo you can't use it unless there's an ammo pickup for it. By throwing your weapon you can get a brand new avril that's full of ammo, otherwise you're screwed.

Btw, you can't throw a weapon that's out of ammo. You have to get rid of it when there's 1 or more shots left.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
you're not really screwed because other weapons will work against vehicles...the vehicles seem really weak in this game. speaking of weak, the avril seems really weak also anyway.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
you're not really screwed because other weapons will work against vehicles...the vehicles seem really weak in this game. speaking of weak, the avril seems really weak also anyway.

Well, I was just giving the theory behind it :p I don't really play the vehicle game types. I'm pretty much DM and CTF only. I'll play other game types very rarely.

Oct 30, 2004

Dropping weapons with low ammo in exchange for new weapons of the same type with the default ammo is very, very common, at least amongst clan-level players.

Example: You're the flag defender and your shock rifle is out of ammo! Two shock cores spawn near the shock rifle but another player just scarfed them up and you don't want to wait for them to respawn.

Of course, this could be easily solved if Epic would allow you to fill your weapon up to its default amount merely by walking over it. Most often, it's the shock rifle that someone wants to swap out.

In previous iterations of the game, a full shock rifle comes loaded with 20 primary shots but a shock core pickup only gives you 10, so even if there are two shock cores near the shock rifle pickup and you have 1 shot left, your best bet would be to throw the empty shock rifle and pick up a new one along with the two shock cores (you now have 40 ammo). In contrast, if you merely picked up the two shock cores you'd have 21 ammo.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Where in hell is the translocator??? I sure hope that did not get nixxed from the game...

And it probably is me but did they slightly increase the bot AI on all levels?

Oct 30, 2004
The tranny is in there. I've tried it. It felt good after I used tweaks to remove the shimmering effect that you see after you've thrown it. Of course, however, you won't see the tranny in DM and vCTF which is why you didn't get to see it in the demo. To see the tranny:

Start a single player DM game. Open the console (tilda key) and type: loaded

You can then access the tranny with whatever key you bound it to.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Yeah, Epic messed up on that one and I'm sure they've received feedback about it. It's been suggested that they removed the drop weapon ability because console gamepads don't have a button for it. Hopefully they'll include it in the full version. Alternatively, someone will make a mod.

I sure the hell hope they officially put back the weapon drop. Consoles be damned! This is a PC game to begin with! </personal bias>

That or add in a very very long spawn for AVRIL ammo in addition to the weapon.... but I dont think that will happen either.