US to let Turkish forces move into Syria, abandoning Kurdish allies

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
ppp
What would you do leave 50 US Troops to get slaughtered knowing that they don't stand a chance against 150,000 Turkish troops?
Been mentioned by others. Attacking those 50 US troops is the same as declaring war on the US. No sensible world actor would dare such a thing. Heres where the stoopids come in: Trump doesnt even realize that and based his actions on a severely limited world view while being totally in the dark on repercussions, wider strategic consequences not just for US interests in the region, but on a global scale.

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
Cease fire
Pause in the attack

It seems like the same thing to me...
The point is (and the laughter accompanying it) that Trump is taking credit for a "deal" that in his words everyone, including the Kurds, is happy with. And that he has done a great thing not only for them, but for all of CIVILIZATION.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
ppp

Been mentioned by others. Attacking those 50 US troops is the same as declaring war on the US. No sensible world actor would dare such a thing. Heres where the stoopids come in: Trump doesnt even realize that and based his actions on a severely limited world view while being totally in the dark on repercussions, wider strategic consequences not just for US interests in the region, but on a global scale.

The Reich loves how he is doing things because they usually act without thinking things through all the time. I thought all Presidents acted in the best interests of their businesses and put the United States and her people last.

Reactions: dank69
Feb 4, 2009
So good you didn't actually answer any questions.

Here is what I think.

If the Turkish were coming in regardless of my 50 troops. I would move them out and warn the Kurds what is going down so they could also prepare for the coming storm.

What would you do leave 50 US Troops to get slaughtered knowing that they don't stand a chance against 150,000 Turkish troops?

We should not have been in Syria to begin with.

More than 50
Estimate is around 1000 in at least a dozen bases or observation posts

Video here sorry about the pop ups

It’s an unplanned retreat similar to the final days of Vietnam. Except it didn’t need to happen this way.
Troops are calling air strikes on their empty bases and munition supplies they didn’t have time to pack up.
As I said earlier I’m sick of the Middle East, particularly Syria. However we made commitments there, we had an Ally that was doing almost all the fighting and nearly everything we asked without *too much* corruption. We turn our backs on those dudes and retreat to Saudi Arabia who has yet to address the madrases that bread the 9/11 hjackers.
As the trade war I don’t think the President has a bad idea, I think he spent 10 minutes planning this, didn’t ask for any feedback or consult any experts and is unwilling to change course because it is weak.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
@Fanatical Meat I just wanted to point out that the Kurds have just as many women fighting on the frontlines as men and utilize mainly female snipers due to their size and ability to blend into the scenery better than most men.

Edit: spelling

Feb 4, 2009
@Fanatical Meat I just wanted to point out that the Kurds have just as many women fighting on the frontlines as men and utilize mainly female snipers due to their size and ability to blend into the scenery better than most men.

Edit: spelling

Good!
Point is these guys have been dependable allies since Reagan so crazy to abruptly turn our back on the and literally run away.

Mitt has a theory and wants to have the turkey call tapes released to Congress.

I’ll admit I laughed at his claim Russia was the biggest threat in 2012 however I was wrong, Mitt was right. Whatever the reason he appears to be good at this stuff.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Good!
Point is these guys have been dependable allies since Reagan so crazy to abruptly turn our back on the and literally run away.

Mitt has a theory and wants to have the turkey call tapes released to Congress.

I’ll admit I laughed at his claim Russia was the biggest threat in 2012 however I was wrong, Mitt was right. Whatever the reason he appears to be good at this stuff.

Sound like what I said in post # 500:

"If the phone call with Turkey was a warning to the US that they were coming period which I also heard/read somewhere. I would rather that he did pull them out rather than leave them to the Turkish troops."

And also I stated back in 2013:

No. The Syrian people are trying to dump that evil bastard Assad. That is what they are trying to do. The USA isn't trying to do anything. Unfortunately for them anyone that is waiting to take over the country is also an evil bastard...

Lose or lose ... Pick one.

USA should stay the fuck out. No money, no guns, no rubber bands nothing.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The point is (and the laughter accompanying it) that Trump is taking credit for a "deal" that in his words everyone, including the Kurds, is happy with. And that he has done a great thing not only for them, but for all of CIVILIZATION.

The point I was making is a Cease Fire is a Pause in the Attack. To imply that there is a difference is laughable.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So good you didn't actually answer any questions.

Here is what I think.

If the Turkish were coming in regardless of my 50 troops. I would move them out and warn the Kurds what is going down so they could also prepare for the coming storm.

We should not have been in Syria to begin with.
Typical conservative, the rules apply to you not to me. Ok sport. So good you didn't actually answer any questions.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

Congress Pushes Forward On Turkey Sanctions Despite Ceasefire

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
And totally not answering a single question. Again.
Good job Sparky.

Would you also rather leave ally and friend behind to get slaughtered?

No, I would warn them that thousands of Turkish troops are on the way.

Would you sell out your friend and ally to their enemy, tuck tail and run, to let them get slaughtered?

No, the Kurds are a very capable force. There is nothing that 1000 Americans scattered across the Northern regions of Syria would have changed.

Good job?

Yes, We should not have been in Syria to begin with.

Now you answer some questions. K

Do you think we should be pouring thousands of our troops into Syria to stop the Turkish hoards?

How many American lives are you willing to throw into a fire that doesn't belong to us?

The fight between the Turkish and Kurds has been going on for over 4 decades. It has nothing to do with us. If we are going to fight the Turks on behalf of the Kurds we need to go all in and just send troops into Turkey.

Should we start bombing Turkey?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Would you also rather leave ally and friend behind to get slaughtered?

No, I would warn them that thousands of Turkish troops are on the way.

Would you sell out your friend and ally to their enemy, tuck tail and run, to let them get slaughtered?

No, the Kurds are a very capable force. There is nothing that 1000 Americans scattered across the Northern regions of Syria would have changed.

Good job?

Yes, We should not have been in Syria to begin with.

Now you answer some questions. K

Do you think we should be pouring thousands of our troops into Syria to stop the Turkish hoards?

How many American lives are you willing to throw into a fire that doesn't belong to us?

The fight between the Turkish and Kurds has been going on for over 4 decades. It has nothing to do with us. If we are going to fight the Turks on behalf of the Kurds we need to go all in and just send troops into Turkey.

Should we start bombing Turkey?

So what you are saying is that US couldnt stop Turkey to invade a foreign territory by using diplomatic ways ??
Are you suggesting that Erdogan would have attack either way without the "OK" from US ??

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's been pointed out that there were about 1000 US troops in northern Syria with the Kurds. It's also been pointed out that the Turks aren't stupid enough to attack US troops. Period. There would be no Turkish attack had we remained in place. It's also perfectly obvious that the Kurds would deal with the Assad regime to counter the Turks, and that's just what happened.

Assad wins. Putin wins. Erdogan gets to be the bad guy, even though Trump gave him the green light. Trump claims victory on behalf of the Russian Federation.
Trump thinks he's smart but in actuality he is Putin's fool.

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
The US media (and many posters in this forum) are hysterically screaming about how their Kurdish allies have been betrayed by Trump and Turkey should be severely punished with economic sanctions, tariffs and other ways.

It is highly disappointing but as I know that Trump is a hate figure for obvious reasons, I don't blame anyone on the subject. Let’s clarify some facts that you don’t want to understand again.

1. Turkey is not invading Syria! Turkey started this operation in order to build a buffer zone due to the existence of the PKK & ISIS -DAES terrorist elements in the region. We will possibly come to terms with Essad or relocate some of the 4 million Syrians in Turkey by building cities and infrastucture in the region. If you are willing to host a few million Syrians for our behalf, you are welcome.

2. Turkey has been warning US, NATO, Russia and all EU countries who are ALWAYS ignorant about terrorist attacks of the PKK-YPG, which created more than 40,000 deaths and misery in our families over the last 40 years.

3. Yes,Turkey is the invader country who welcomed more than 4 million Syrian refugees and is keeping them safely in our country while the REST OF THE WORLD has been shamefully ignoring and neglecting them. We all love the humanitarian values of West a lot.

4. Same so-called invader Turkey is such a vicious country against the Kurds, who opened her borders on March 16, 1988 in Northern Iraq when Saddam Hussein slaughtered almost 50,000 Kurds with chemical weapons. Nearly 1,2 millions Kurds crossed Turkish borders and Turkey called for international humanitarian aid and the response of the Western world was heartbreaking and great deal of embarrassment!

5. You call the PKK-YPG militants as heroes and allies, but never asked this important question: Have they cleared-out ISIS-DEAS yet.
The answer is absolutely NOT! Still more than 70,000 ISIS-DEAS operatives are all around Northern Syria and part of Northern Iraq.
President Obama (maybe domestically he was perfect ) unfortunately ruined the balance of Middle East by ignoring Turkey and using the PKK (which is officially considered a terrorist organization by the US Senate 🤣) as a leverage tool, thanks Barrack 👊🏻!

Yet let's say Kurds helped you clear out ISIS, they did you a favor, what has Turkey been doing since the Korean war ? You sell out your old buddy for the new guy in town ? What is this ungrateful hostility ?

6. Erdogan is a dictator bla bla bla .. Well, having never and will never vote for the guy, all I can say is he is a funny kind of dictator who can lose elections and end his term around 2023. He is sitting in Ankara because he was elected democratically with 86% voter turn out elections. He is not a perfect symbol of democracy but worse examples seem to be OK for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It would appear, based on reports, that the Turkish operation has continued despite Erdogan's promises for a pause. What a surprise.

Dec 10, 2005
ppp

Yep - part of why we have bases and deployments all over the world - helps keep a lid on things, particularly for our benefit. (You could certainly make an argument that perhaps we do it too much, but that's a conversation for another thread)

Reactions: DarthKyrie

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I do like Mattis' response to trumps calling him over-rated

He also added - "I earned my spurs on the battlefield. He earned his in a letter from a doctor."

He also now refers to him as "Donald Trump" not President Trump...Twiiterea incoming..

His comments are nice and all...But..some of these guys need to come out swinging and speak out as General McRaven did!

Reactions: dawp

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
He also added - "I earned my spurs on the battlefield. He earned his in a letter from a doctor."

He also now refers to him as "Donald Trump" not President Trump...Twiiterea incoming..

His comments are nice and all...But..some of these guys need to come out swinging and speak out as General McRaven did!
General McRaven does strike me as someone who doesn't take shit from anyone, including trump.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
lol

Erdogan not even hiding the contempt for Trump and how weak he is, despite getting everything he wanted. The idea that Trump is a powerful figure to anybody but his employees is really overblown.