US Soldiers Execute Iraqi Family

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: jman19
:(
rose.gif

Just one of the prices paid for occupying a foreign nation.

Tell that to the South Koreans that were spared from communism and the Vietnamese that are starving under communism.

I didn't say there never was a reason to occupy, I just said it is a price paid. Do you have trouble reading, or are you purposely being obtuse?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
At least they met their insurgent quota for the day.

I'm sure they're appealing right now to their superiors to get the mom and sister labeled as insurgents too. Their case would be much stronger if they didn't leave so many witnesses, including the surviving daughter.
why do you seem to take such pleasure in reporting such atrocities? Im serious, you seem almost giddy... wtf!?

sad.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74
why do you seem to take such pleasure in reporting such atrocities? Im serious, you seem almost giddy... wtf!?

sad.
Sorry, stories like this should really be buried on page 12; better yet, not reported at all.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Haditha started out like this too and that case has been falling apart. Time mags Tim McGirk broke "story" using video from a "human rights group" that turned out to be a guy who had been in prison with insurgents. Since media works with enemy nobody can be too sure of these things as they show up.

" In Tuesday's incident, the U.S. military said it "regrets the loss of an innocent civilian and the wounding of a child." It said U.S. soldiers killed the two men in self-defense.

But the head of Adwar's Awakening Council, Col. Mutasim Ahmed, said that one of the men killed was a U.S.-allied fighter and said it appeared that gunmen were positioned near the house and attacked the Americans, provoking return fire.

"Our own investigation is continuing and this area is full of Al Qaeda operatives who are not satisfied with our successful work with the Americans," he said. "I cannot rule out that the enemy is trying to sow seeds of division between us and the Americans."

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Haditha started out like this too and that case has been falling apart. Time mags Tim McGirk broke "story" using video from a "human rights group" that turned out to be a guy who had been in prison with insurgents. Since media works with enemy nobody can be too sure of these things as they show up.

" In Tuesday's incident, the U.S. military said it "regrets the loss of an innocent civilian and the wounding of a child." It said U.S. soldiers killed the two men in self-defense.

But the head of Adwar's Awakening Council, Col. Mutasim Ahmed, said that one of the men killed was a U.S.-allied fighter and said it appeared that gunmen were positioned near the house and attacked the Americans, provoking return fire.

"Our own investigation is continuing and this area is full of Al Qaeda operatives who are not satisfied with our successful work with the Americans," he said. "I cannot rule out that the enemy is trying to sow seeds of division between us and the Americans."
Perhaps by killing people in their beds and claiming the Americans did it? Nah... would never happen.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Why didn't you bold this part of the story?
U.S.-backed tribesmen discovered about 50 bodies Tuesday in a mass grave in a former al-Qaida stronghold of Jazeerah near Lake Tharthar, an area northwest of Baghdad where hundreds of bodies have been unearthed in recent months, said Col. Mazin Younis Hussein, commander of a Samarra police unit.
I suppose AQ is out to win the hearts and minds of Iraqi's too huh? If not they'll just kill them by the hundreds.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Perhaps by killing people in their beds and claiming the Americans did it? Nah... would never happen.
Multiple eyewitnesses have US soldiers pulling the trigger. The US soldiers themselves admit to the raid and killing members of the family.

Tell us another bedtime story.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Why didn't you bold this part of the story?
U.S.-backed tribesmen discovered about 50 bodies Tuesday in a mass grave in a former al-Qaida stronghold of Jazeerah near Lake Tharthar, an area northwest of Baghdad where hundreds of bodies have been unearthed in recent months, said Col. Mazin Younis Hussein, commander of a Samarra police unit.
I suppose AQ is out to win the hearts and minds of Iraqi's too huh? If not they'll just kill them by the hundreds.

LOL Al Qaeda is EVERYWHERE! Gonna getcha! Boogie boogie! Boogie boogie! Boogie man!! :roll:

So much trumped up BS about every damned "insurgent" being "Al Qaeda".

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Are you saying our soldiers are no better than al-Qaeda?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
sad.

No, let me tell you what is "sad," palehorse.

Invading a country that never attacked us. That's sad. Trying to fight Islamic Fascism by taking out a secular country in the Middle East. That's sad. Trying to spread democracy by force. That's sad. Causing a war that kills over 600,000 Iraqi people. That's sad. And getting almost 4000 of our own men and women killed doing so. That's sad. The tens of thousands of men and women in uniform who will return to the US missing an arm, or a leg, or their sanity. That's sad. Having to borrow billions of dollars from China to pay for all of this. That's sad. And after all this cluster fuck of sadness, there is still no day in sight that it will ever end. That, palehorse, is sad.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
Uhhh...it's called war.
Amazing we have people on this forum excuse the murder of an unarmed family...in their beds, in their home...mother, father, brother, sister...under the excuse of "it's war".

Even in war, we are bound by rules of engagement. Look them up junior.

They shot. They got owned.

do NOT oppose us. do NOT send up a kid with fruit to hug the soldier underwhich is hidden grenades.

When your enemy doesn't abide by the rules of engagement you don't either. war is never pretty, and you guys are all too happy to lap up the propaganda.

What's worse is you spread it. Maybe worse than that is you believe it.

-edit-
"oh, you're trying to kill me! Can I shoot back? I understand that you aren't a soldier, but you're trying to kill me...so I'm just gonna go ahead and kill you first."

Strong words from General Coward of the 101st Keyboard division. Guess those civilians deserved to be shot, what with staying in their home. I bet while they were in their house, they probably had a bad thought about Americans, which is sufficient enough for Spidey07 to declare them as terrorists.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: CitizenKain
Strong words from General Coward of the 101st Keyboard division.
Hahahaha :laugh: :thumbsup:

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

sad.
Sorry, stories like this should really be buried on page 12; better yet, not reported at all.

So any news stories that show our military in a bad light should be covered up? Is that the patriotic thing to do?

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: M0RPH

sad.

So any news stories that show our military in a bad light should be covered up? Is that the patriotic thing to do?

whats sad is that when initial news stories are proven wrong and the charges against soldiers dropped, the stories rarely make the front page news.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Uhhh...it's called war.
Amazing we have people on this forum excuse the murder of an unarmed family...in their beds, in their home...mother, father, brother, sister...under the excuse of "it's war".

Uh, no. I'm not saying those who violate the rules of war shouldn't be punished because it's "war", rather, it should be EXPECTED.

When you have 300,000+ soldiers being sandbagged with 5 tours of duty, contrary to their 2-3 tour contract, the likelihood of incidents increase.

it's just math. There will always be problem soldiers in a war of this scale.

I'm not denying that, but what is the purpose of this thread? I appreciate the rules of engagement but what does that have to do with anything???

You are plastering an isolated incident as an object to argue with. You are denying the war based on a typical soldier angst parade.

This happened WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, etc..etc..etc..'

It's happened in ALL wars. The fact that you are shocked could be considered testimonial to your blatant naivety.

Let's turn this around: How about I copy and paste the thousands and thousands of info documenting the atrocities by the Iraqi government and other Islamic/ME nations?

Do you think that is a valid entry in discrediting a conflict?

Your fallacies and propaganda might fool some, but not me.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Uhhh...it's called war.

Uh, no. I'm not saying those who violate the rules of war shouldn't be punished because it's "war", rather, it should be EXPECTED.

When you have 300,000+ soldiers being sandbagged with 5 tours of duty, contrary to their 2-3 tour contract, the likelihood of incidents increase.

it's just math. There will always be problem soldiers in a war of this scale.

I'm not denying that, but what is the purpose of this thread? I appreciate the rules of engagement but what does that have to do with anything???

You are plastering an isolated incident as an object to argue with. You are denying the war based on a typical soldier angst parade.

This happened WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, etc..etc..etc..'

It's happened in ALL wars. The fact that you are shocked could be considered testimonial to your blatant naivety.

Let's turn this around: How about I copy and paste the thousands and thousands of info documenting the atrocities by the Iraqi government and other Islamic/ME nations?

Do you think that is a valid entry in discrediting a conflict?

No shit. None of us stated otherwise, it is still outrageous and wrong and is the primary reason why the War should not have been started in the first place.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: M0RPH

sad.

Check the ole' sarcasm meter.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre
sad.

Invading a country that never attacked us. That's sad. Trying to fight Islamic Fascism by taking out a secular country in the Middle East. That's sad. Trying to spread democracy by force. That's sad. Causing a war that kills over 600,000 Iraqi people. That's sad. And getting almost 4000 of our own men and women killed doing so. That's sad. The tens of thousands of men and women in uniform who will return to the US missing an arm, or a leg, or their sanity. That's sad. Having to borrow billions of dollars from China to pay for all of this. That's sad. And after all this cluster fuck of sadness, there is still no day in sight that it will ever end. That, palehorse, is sad.

:thumbsup:

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
We should expect more than cold-blooded murder from our soldiers. These guys deserve nothing less than a lengthy prison sentence to reflect on the lives they so carelessly ended.

Ditto.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
sad.

What is even sadder is that the "Democracy" song and dance is just a red herring. Look at the Palistinians that voted Hamas into power and what the US reaction. It is about the subjugation of the Iraqi people, it is about making them Obey.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
sad.

The "war is hell" is of mild relevance as a statement made by us sitting here at home surfing the net and picking our nose. It truly is hell for those in Iraq.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Here is probably what happened.

Multiple informants inform a US Infantry Company Commander operating in the area that a certain house has armed insurgents wanted by American Forces for crimes against Coalition forces and Iraqi civilians. One says he watched them enter the house recently and they haven't come out. Company Commander plans a raid to apprehend these individuals who are believed to be armed and dangerous.

American troops cordon off the house and then knock down the door and begin to clear. As they enter the sleeping room several males, suprised to find people busting in, jump up and run towards the intruders in confusion.

The leading US soldiers have a fraction of a second to determine if these people have hostile intent or not. If it's at night, this knocks down your vision even more dramatically. The soldiers, believing based on HUMINT that there are armed insurgents, begin to fire. This ends up being the wrong choice, but it wasn't a malicious one.

I bet the story is something more along these lines.

I am in an Infantry Company. I've been here 1 year now, and still have some months to go. I've been operating in an area of Baghdad that has had some of the worst, statistically speaking, of the sectarian violence. We do raids all the time. As of yet, we haven't killed any innocent civilians from entering someones house. We try to be very careful to avoid civilian casualties. But I've been in the above situation I mentioned. We just didn't end up pulling the trigger, luckily.

The way jpeyton is portraying it, he would have you believe US soldiers waltzed in and murdered people while they were sleeping. I very much doubt this was the case. My scenario is much more likely. I would hope that people would listen to my story, as someone who is actually here, as opposed to someone who isn't (which includes the media who, for the most part, hides out in the Green Zone).

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: datalink7

Multiple informants inform a US Infantry Company Commander operating in the area that a certain house has armed insurgents wanted by American Forces for crimes against Coalition forces and Iraqi civilians. One says he watched them enter the house recently and they haven't come out. Company Commander plans a raid to apprehend these individuals who are believed to be armed and dangerous.

American troops cordon off the house and then knock down the door and begin to clear. As they enter the sleeping room several males, suprised to find people busting in, jump up and run towards the intruders in confusion.

The leading US soldiers have a fraction of a second to determine if these people have hostile intent or not. If it's at night, this knocks down your vision even more dramatically. The soldiers, believing based on HUMINT that there are armed insurgents, begin to fire. This ends up being the wrong choice, but it wasn't a malicious one.

I am in an Infantry Company. I've been here 1 year now, and still have some months to go. I've been operating in an area of Baghdad that has had some of the worst, statistically speaking, of the sectarian violence. We do raids all the time. As of yet, we haven't killed any innocent civilians from entering someones house. We try to be very careful to avoid civilian casualties. But I've been in the above situation I mentioned. We just didn't end up pulling the trigger, luckily.

The way jpeyton is portraying it, he would have you believe US soldiers waltzed in and murdered people while they were sleeping. I very much doubt this was the case. My scenario is much more likely. I would hope that people would listen to my story, as someone who is actually here, as opposed to someone who isn't (which includes the media who, for the most part, hides out in the Green Zone).

Thank you for your service.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: datalink7

I think your version is probably closer to the truth. My question is why can't the Iraqi Army do these raids? Why should our guys be put in these kind of situations when we have supplied and trained the Iragi Army to do this?