US Open

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
so who's gonna be champ this year?

Got quarter finals tickets this year. I can't wait!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Jhill
Roddick EASILY.

That would be SWEET!

I can't believe it's US open time already. Off to clean up the DVR so I can fill it with with HD tennis goodness.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Jhill
Roddick EASILY.

That would be SWEET!

I can't believe it's US open time already. Off to clean up the DVR so I can fill it with with HD tennis goodness.

I'm going to be doing the same. Didn't realize the Open started today. Thought it was later this week. I don't usually watch the opening matches much though. Quarterfinals and on I try not to miss any games.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I only watch women's tennis (shut up;)) since there seems to be a lot more strategy and less showboating. It's pretty boring in the early matches cause of the weaker/crappier players that have to be eliminated. After they make it to the quarters, it heats up. The match at the Canadian Open (Rogers) between Henin and the Serbian (forget name) was one of the best I've ever seen.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Imp
I only watch women's tennis (shut up;)) since there seems to be a lot more strategy and less showboating. It's pretty boring in the early matches cause of the weaker/crappier players that have to be eliminated. After they make it to the quarters, it heats up. The match at the Canadian Open (Rogers) between Henin and the Serbian (forget name) was one of the best I've ever seen.

I would argue that there is signficantly less strategy in the women's game...especially for the first week. There is just such a discrepency between the top 20 players and the rest of the top 100 that you'll pretty much see anyone in the top 10 winning 6-0,6-1...or if they got off to a slow start 6-4, 7-6 and then 6-0 next set.

Whereas with the men's draw there are always plenty of great first round matches, from young up and comers to veterans...and unless you're Federer, on any given day if you don't play your best there are plenty of people in the top 100 who can beat you. If anything, you'll see much closer scores 6-4, 6-3...it's a lot lot less common to see a bagel in mens tennis. In other words, the playing field is much closer and strategy does come into play quite a bit.

The women are catching up...I've lost track of the 20-30 russian teenagers who've broken top 50 or higher...but even now, if you have just 1-2 big weapons you can win several rounds w/o breaking a sweat.

That being said, I will watch as much tennis as I can and I am rooting for Federer. As a tennis fan/player for the last 15yrs he's just all class and skill...his top matches...instant defense/offense transition, deconstruction of opponents, effortless shots...it's just artwork.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
and I'm very jealous of the people who are going :0

only thing of worth in Ohio is the masters tourny in cincy.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I'll be there on Saturday ... our company is one of the sponsors so I'll be chillin in one of the hospitality tents

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by: rocadelpunk

the cincy masters tournament was actually good this year (specially the final).

I love the fact that I live in Flushing. Arthur Ashe and Shea are less than 5 minutes away so I've been to countless US Open and Mets games. When I have to deal with the stink/noise of the area, I just day dream about tennis and baseball. :)

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Caught the last match tonight. S. Williams vs Kerber. Pretty good match for a 1st rounder.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
bump for another day of tennis :D

how do you guys think blake will fare? I would say he has a pretty good chance at making it pretty far, especially now that Baghdadtis is out.

Anybody see the Haas-Darcis match, what happened there?

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
I'm going to try to catch some of next week's matches on the tv in Madison Square park.

SpeedEng66

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: bigrash

I love the fact that I live in Flushing. Arthur Ashe and Shea are less than 5 minutes away so I've been to countless US Open and Mets games. When I have to deal with the stink/noise of the area, I just day dream about tennis and baseball. :)

and wow you have to day dream pretty hard that water by northern is smellllllly :)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sharapova.
HD.
She's wearing red and she's hotter than hell.
I love US Open Tennis.

I'm looking forward to the grunting.
WAA-UHNNN!!!!

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
Sharapova.
HD.
She's wearing red and she's hotter than hell.
I love US Open Tennis.

I'm looking forward to the grunting.
WAA-UHNNN!!!!

Ivanovic is hotter in real life. Or from what I could tell 50 ft away

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by: SpeedEng66
Originally posted by: bigrash

and wow you have to day dream pretty hard that water by northern is smellllllly :)

shhhh! I always pretend that that smell does not exist, so don't remind me. :)