US Embassy in Pakistan under attack

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19660294

The authorities in Pakistan have called on the army to control protesters demonstrating against an amateur video mocking Islam outside the US embassy in the capital, Islamabad.

Live rounds have been heard and tear gas has been fired as police struggled to contain the crowd of thousands.

The film, which was made in the US, is said to insult the Prophet Muhammad.

Several people have died in protests in the past week against the film in the Middle East and North Africa.

The BBC's Aleem Maqbool in Islamabad says some protesters have said they will not leave the diplomatic enclave until the US embassy is on fire.

However, he has not yet seen any evidence of the army's arrival.
Chaotic scenes

Streets leading to the enclave, where most of the embassies are housed, were earlier blocked off by shipping containers in an effort to increase security.

Television pictures have shown chaotic scenes as police tried to gain control of the situation.

Effigies have been burned, and stones and other missiles have been thrown at police.

One demonstrator told Reuters: "Our policemen are not any better than the Americans, because they are trying to stop us."

A demonstration in the same area on Wednesday saw around 500 protesters gather outside the gates of the enclave.

The US State Department earlier issued a warning against any non-essential travel to Pakistan.

They also "strongly urged" US citizens in Pakistan to avoid protests and large gatherings.

Anti-US sentiment has been growing since people became aware of the amateur film, Innocence of Muslims, earlier this month.

The US Ambassador to Libya was killed in an attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, on 11 September.

Protests in countries around the world then took place.

Tensions with the West have been further inflamed by the publication by a French magazine of obscene cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad on Wednesday.

The Pakistani government has called a national holiday on Friday to enable people to demonstrate peacefully.

I'd still like to see what evidence there is to suggest that this is happening all because of a youtube video. If a 15 minute video will provoke this kind of unrest, one would think my avatar had motivated Nidal Malik Hasan.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
The Pakistani government has called a national holiday on Friday to enable people to demonstrate peacefully.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry, I just can't get over how stupid that was. Don't these people have real work to do especially when they aren't exactly well off to begin with?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011

Sorry, I just can't get over how stupid that was. Don't these people have real work to do especially when they aren't exactly well off to begin with?

Blowing themselves up takes time, you cant rush lunacy.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Pakistan was the host of Osama Bin Laden, just about all you need to know about them.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Pakistan was the host of Osama Bin Laden, just about all you need to know about them.

Their own populace is constantly hounded by Taliban & Co and it is U.S drones that are helping to eradicate them. The irony here can't be any more stark.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
You can't fix stupid. These idiots are in the dark ages and want to do everything to make sure everyone else joins them there.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
BusAd32-295x275.jpg

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i agree. where is this video. and isnt it time for us americans to just say enough? we dont really care about your religion. you can have it, but keep it to yourself. you dont like us mocking it? then stop paying attention to us. keep trying to kill us and you wont be remembering anything soon.

i wonder if this prophet stuff could trigger a world war. you know americans are tired of some other country telling us what we can say, and the kids are going to start drawing more pictures and making more silly videos. soon it will be a new fad, and they wont be able to stop all the new content. i know im tired of not being able to talk about something just for fear i might get a call from the feds.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i swear the middle east is full of goat herding imbeciles. the world would be a much better place if islam was eliminated. forever. all they know is violence, if they are not killing somebody or throwing a rock at somebody they wouldn't know what to do.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
New law-

"Any attack on an embassy, consulate, or facility in a nation which receives foreign aid shall cease such aid until the State Department determines that the embassy, consulate or any other facility controlled by the US government is deemed safe. A full public statement as to the particulars of the attack and remedial actions taken must be made public 1 week before funding is resumed. If the bodies providing oversight are not satisfied as to the State Department report then the prohibition against aid shall continue until the situation is adequately addressed.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Rider, if someone wants aid they can apply for statehood and start adopting our constitution. Only then should any State get our aid.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
The western world (and the US is the biggest part of this economically, so it's going to be hardest on them) needs to stop dealing with the parts of the world that willfully continue to live like this.

No trade, no military support, no immigration.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Americans have been killed during riots at the Pakistan American embassy in the past. This is just what these muslim fools do.

p.s., Makes one wonder who is the bigger fool. We keep giving them money to kill us.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
The western world (and the US is the biggest part of this economically, so it's going to be hardest on them) needs to stop dealing with the parts of the world that willfully continue to live like this.

No trade, no military support, no immigration.

Just one problem with that - oil.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011

Pakistan doesn't have oil.

We have all the energy sources we could ever need right here in North America. I say we develop our own energy and let the ME just go to hell.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
i agree. where is this video. and isnt it time for us americans to just say enough? we dont really care about your religion. you can have it, but keep it to yourself. you dont like us mocking it? then stop paying attention to us. keep trying to kill us and you wont be remembering anything soon.

I don't mind muslims not keeping it to themselves. Proselytize all you want.

But have the decency not to get violent because someone somewhere is mocking your religion.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009

And that's why I said it'd be hardest on the US as your usage to production ratio is quite large.

We'd either have to double production in North American to cover our own usage, reduce our usage of oil, or probably a combination of the two.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
And that's why I said it'd be hardest on the US as your usage to production ratio is quite large.

We'd either have to double production in North American to cover our own usage, reduce our usage of oil, or probably a combination of the two.

uh... oil consumption on the downswing, we pull roughly 50% of what we currently use out of the ground ourselves, the next largest importers are our neighbors followed by the Sauds I believe? So pretty sure we could manage by just opening up domestic exploration.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010

Real work? The country is a shit hole. I'd say they aren't doing any real work over there.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
uh... oil consumption on the downswing, we pull roughly 50% of what we currently use out of the ground ourselves, the next largest importers are our neighbors followed by the Sauds I believe? So pretty sure we could manage by just opening up domestic exploration.

I was going by the numbers here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_by_country. Not that wiki is the be all and end all, but it's showing about 40%.

If you add up production in Can/US and divide it by usage in Can/US, it's about half.

I'm sure eventually there'd be enough oil around to not need any importing (aside from us Canucks), but it's not going to happen over night. I wouldn't be surprised if it took more than a decade to actually get there.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Muslims, energy, US foreign policy.......

What was the real subject of this thread?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Maybe we'd actually learn how to conserve our energy resources then.

Yes, just like it would if oil started to become scare, we would never run out of oil, the prices would become to high and market forces would prevent it from happening.