Jan 11, 2018
Hello!

I'm currently using:
  • AMD FX-6350 @ 4.0 Ghz.
  • Radeon HD 7850 2Gb.
  • 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM.
  • 2 x 1TB HDD.
  • 1080p Monitor.
I was thinking to upgrade CPU, Mobo and RAM only and wait for the next gen GPUs since they are not that far away, my 7850 can still live through those months (and I can use the time to save up a little more to get a beefy one!):
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1500X (Yes, I know the 1400 is better value. I want the cooler and the little "X" at the end of it).
  • 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM.
  • Asus Prime AM4 ATX Motherboard.

And this plan was almost going to happen, but AMD showed the release dates for the second gen Ryzen. Now I'm thinking... Should I wait a couple of months to buy the newest AMD Chip? or should I get the Ryzen 2400G next month because it seems like the IGP is pretty good and roll with that? Maybe I should stick with my original plan and just get the pieces mentioned above?

I'm open to suggestions! (I actually need them)

Thanks in advance!

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
What will you do with the new PC, gaming? Where do you live?

If you don't really need to upgrade now, waiting will get you either a better CPU or cheaper CPU, and possibly either a better or cheaper motherboard. If you're lucky the price of DDR4 might finally start to drop.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wait until Ryzen 2000 comes out (and probably at that time, DDR4 price will be more bearable than today).

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

If you don't really need to upgrade now, waiting will get you either a better CPU or cheaper CPU, and possibly either a better or cheaper motherboard. If you're lucky the price of DDR4 might finally start to drop.
Wait until Ryzen 2000 comes out (and probably at that time, DDR4 price will be more bearable than today).

I agree with both of you guys, the OP should wait a few more months and btw what are you planning on upgrading too?

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I agree with both of you guys, the OP should wait a few more months and btw what are you planning on upgrading too?

DDR4 prices are not good and are predicted to be a bit better in 6 months.

Hope you know what you want to do with your putter. I love my desktop build for how quiet it is with a most of the time not CPU overclock with a 1700x. Ram is overclocked all the time. It was for a mostly silent build in a mid-tower case and the ryzen 1x series runs cool unless pushing all cores.

My laptop is still a 4700mq, but the fan gets noisy and it downclocks once it hits max TDP. I do some audio recording with it and I don't like noise.

The cheap b350 board that I have (b350 pro carbon) voltage droops "a lot" once your try and push for maximum CPU overlcock. Really bad.... But my memory runs at 1733 DDR on my early 1700x. Like 8 week early.

I have been watching and I think the new ryzen will be so much better on all fronts, though I don't plan on cheap-ing out in the future on the motherboard VRMS and features. But that is me. It had been 10 years since my last desktop build. Been using middle end - up-gradable laptops, and still do!

I want my desktop to be up-gradable, quiet, and rock and I under-did my motherboard on this early ryzen build....

Vaarkain

Jan 11, 2018

Yes. It is intended for gaming. I live in México and prices are somewhere between 10% and 50% higher depending on the brand mostly.

I don't need to upgrade now but got some cash and want to do it. I can always wait a little bit more. DDR4 prices are bonkers right now, 8Gb cost $100 USD and that's the cheap ones! Maybe I should wait... I'll find another project in the meantime to keep my mind off it.

Vaarkain

Jan 11, 2018

After reading some news I'm not sure RAM prices are going to fall by a ton if any those price cuts take months sometimes to reflect on our stores. But yeah, waiting for Ryzen 2000 seems lime the logical choice here.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
After reading some news I'm not sure RAM prices are going to fall by a ton if any those price cuts take months sometimes to reflect on our stores. But yeah, waiting for Ryzen 2000 seems lime the logical choice here.
Yeah... the way hardware works is that the prices rise fast, and sellers keep the prices up as long as possible. There's zero chance something like RAM will dive in price any time in the 12 months.

On a similar point CPU's aren't going to get much more cost effective even if you do wait for what's "just around the corner"; The new CPUs will just slot into the same price points as the old. A generous guess is the next Ryzen CPU will have 10% better performance, and the soonest you'll get a new one is 3 months away. So you have to ask yourself how much would you pay to have a better PC for the next few months?

Reactions: Vaarkain
Jan 10, 2018
It's better to wait for some more days as new Ryzen processors are coming and still, hopes are high that they will be more powerful and power efficient.

chetansha

Sep 2, 2006
Price cut.
5e51261bda1af13aa5939bfc12d67a74.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vaarkain

Vaarkain

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah... the way hardware works is that the prices rise fast, and sellers keep the prices up as long as possible. There's zero chance something like RAM will dive in price any time in the 12 months.

On a similar point CPU's aren't going to get much more cost effective even if you do wait for what's "just around the corner"; The new CPUs will just slot into the same price points as the old. A generous guess is the next Ryzen CPU will have 10% better performance, and the soonest you'll get a new one is 3 months away. So you have to ask yourself how much would you pay to have a better PC for the next few months?

Agreed. Double checking the Ryzen 2000 slides from AMD There's little to be gained if I wait, that 10% is really generous. Maybe I should just YOLO it and stop complicating things for myself.

Yes, prices are going to stay up for the rest of 2018, for sure here in México.

Vaarkain

Jan 11, 2018
It's better to wait for some more days as new Ryzen processors are coming and still, hopes are high that they will be more powerful and power efficient.

Maybe, but I really dont expect anything extraordinary. Unless the gap is huge (which it appears NOT to be), I don't think waiting will make things that much better, but I'll definitely keep my eyes on the news untill the day I buy the components!

Reactions: Arshad Hussain

chetansha

Sep 2, 2006
Those price cuts are not going to be applied here in México, they never have been and never will. Sadly that's the reality of my market.
I feel you man, we face same problem in India. Well, I am hoping AMD will normalise the price globally.
Or find some one coming to your place from USA

Vaarkain

Jan 11, 2018
I am generally in favor of this approach. For some enthusiasts, getting a "good deal" is most of the fun, though.

I'm stuck in between the two, but as each day goes by... I am closer to just buying the things no matter what comes in a few months. Specially since "good deals" here are not really "good deals" just $10 saivngs, at most.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Never let $10 stand in the way of technolust!

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
Just curious, why are you only looking at the amd side of things? Intel just released coffee lake and the 8700k is an amazing gaming cpu. It's also a pretty good work horse as well.

chetansha

Sep 2, 2006
Just curious, why are you only looking at the amd side of things? Intel just released coffee lake and the 8700k is an amazing gaming cpu. It's also a pretty good work horse as well.
Cost of ownership?
Cost to performance ratio?

Feb 25, 2011
Cost of ownership?
Cost to performance ratio?

Cost in absolute or relative terms? Regardless of manufacturer, the only returns you get going up the product stack are diminishing ones, and if you have the money to burn on new and shiny, then, well, DOOOO EEEET, right?

$/performance and $/ownership are both going to be best served by buying a pre-leased business-class laptop on eBay and never opening Steam again. But where's the fun in that? :-D

Reactions: fastamdman
Jan 10, 2018
AMD always come with budget/powerful processors. Ryzen outperformed Intel in price vs performance thing so it can be figured easily that new series can be powerful. They might shrink die size or add something which can help boost graphics.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
How can be so sure that if new series can be that much powerful?
1. faster memory support (DDR4-3200 instead of DDR4-2400)
2. much better CPU core (at least 40% better than excavator)
3. L3 Cache (first time in AMD's APU history)
4. improved GCN core (it uses Vega arch. instead of Polaris)

Even if the igpu ended up as crap (for gaming ofc, it's still a beast for multimedia though), you still get 4 Cores CPU for less than $100 and a platform that capable to be upgraded to 8C/16T in the future.

Last edited: