UPDATED: should the government cut funding to NPR and PBS?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Tiger
the programming is what it is - who determines what is "conservative" and what is "liberal"? things are often not as clear cut as this. for fun though - name some instances of liberalism that you find offensive on PBS.

Where to start?
Just about anything done by WGBH in Boston.
Now, even without uber pinko Bill Moyers.
Frontline.
A few of the kids shows may not be specifically leftist, but they do have a decidedly politically correct, "progressive" (God, I hate that word.Talk about mis-appropriating a word) bent.

Please don't tell me to turn the channel if don't like the programming. I'm paying for this programming, unlike commercial broadcasting, and my values and should be equally represented.

Those aren't convincing examples. Rather than just say "everything", you should provide specific examples in their programming that demonstrate a left wing bias.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: ExpertNovice
Assume they primarily pushed a radical right wing agenda. Would you want funding cut?

I would.

Unlike many I also want funding cut now because of their radical left wing agenda.

I'm consistent. Who else is consistent?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Examples of this "radical left wing agenda" please.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: Tommunist
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Athens??

was athens ever a country? my ancient history isn't that great....

IIRC Greek city states were nations.

I don't think nationalism was well defined back then, but Athens was comparable to a nation with all the same responsiblites. They are held up as a democracy and forced Socrates to drink his Hemlock for among other things, "corrupting the youth".

He is considered the first martyr for free speech.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
the programming is what it is - who determines what is "conservative" and what is "liberal"? things are often not as clear cut as this. for fun though - name some instances of liberalism that you find offensive on PBS.

Where to start?
Frontline.
A few of the kids shows may not be specifically leftist, but they do have a decidedly politically correct, "progressive" (God, I hate that word.Talk about mis-appropriating a word) bent.

Please don't tell me to turn the channel if don't like the programming. I'm paying for this programming, unlike commercial broadcasting, and my values and should be equally represented.

so mainly it's the news on PBS that you don't like - can you provide some instances of liberalism in their presentation of the news?

for the record there are plenty of things that my tax money goes to that I don't like but apparently I can't get funding magically cut.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
you should provide specific examples in their programming that demonstrate a left wing bias.

Where are the offsetting shows to NOW and Frontline?

Feb 16, 2005
I gladly signed it. PBS and NPR are great places to get information, entertainment and some education. Why in the hell would they cut those? For 100 million? FFS, they spend that in a week in Iraq. I am flying past loathing of this administration, seething hatred is coming up quick.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
I say kill both of them. There's really no reason for them.

Originally posted by: charrison
Kill both of them.

IF they are worth supporting, they will find funds to stay in business.

Of course the Republicans want to kill the non-commercial broadcasts that can cast them in a bad light.

They only want church driven money making propaganda machines to further their agenda and take over.

I always wondered why conservatives hated PBS and NPR. Perhaps it is their lack of culture. What clowns. :thumbsdown:

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
you should provide specific examples in their programming that demonstrate a left wing bias.

Is the mclaughlin group conservative by most people's standards? I remember seeing it as a little kid but I wouldn't have recognized such things at the time.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
so mainly it's the news on PBS that you don't like - can you provide some instances of liberalism in their presentation of the news?
Neither of those shows are "news" shows.
Frontline does documentaries and NOW is an interview show.
I have never seen an instance of NOW where they interview someone with even a "moderate" point of view. Everyone has been a liberal bomb thrower.

I don't have a problem with that. Even the pinko's need their cheerleaders. All I want is to see some offsetting programming on a broacasting service I'm paying for.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Ldir
Kill both of them.

It is not about business. They are noncommercial. That is their unique value. We need more alternatives to corporate MSM.

So is XM radio but I dont see the govt footing the bill for it either.

I was not aware the government footed the bill for PBS. Why are they always on TV asking for donations then?

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000

Is the mclaughlin group conservative by most people's standards? I remember seeing it as a little kid but I wouldn't have recognized such things at the time.

McLaughlin is a conservative, but he HATES how Bush has run the Republican party into the toilet.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Neither of those shows are "news" shows.
Frontline does documentaries and NOW is an interview show.
I have never seen an instance of NOW where they interview someone with even a "moderate" point of view. Everyone has been a liberal bomb thrower.

I don't have a problem with that. Even the pinko's need their cheerleaders. All I want is to see some offsetting programming on a broacasting service I'm paying for.

i'll be honest i had never seen NOW but frontline also seemed like it was kind of a 60 minutes sort of show with more extended "articles" if you will. i sort of consider this news but either way - i suppose it doesn't matter.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Kill both of them.

It is not about business. They are noncommercial. That is their unique value. We need more alternatives to corporate MSM.

I was not aware the government footed the bill for PBS. Why are they always on TV asking for donations then?

less than 20% of PBS is funded by the gov't - the rest is from donations and other sources.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Corporation For Public Broadcasting is the funding entity for PBS. The majority of their funding comes from CPB. The fund raisers you see on your local station are like pissing in the ocean comparatively.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: PatboyX
Kill both of them.

how is XM radio non-commercial? people pay for the service just like cable TV (hbo, etc.).

i think he meant literally, no commercials.
but thats not true, either, is it?

i'm not sure if it's true or not - but that is probably what he meant. but regardless it seems useful to have a news outlet that isn't looking for profit.

No that is not what I meant. I meant most major media is corporate owned and driven by profit. NPR and PBS are not. That is their unique value. They are a mainstream alternative to the corporate commerical media.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28

McLaughlin is a conservative, but he HATES how Bush has run the Republican party into the toilet.

does that mean he's liberal now? ;)
i'm joking but okay - here is one conservative show. i'm not aware of the full PBS lineup so does anyone else have anything?

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004

No that is not what I meant. I meant most major media is corporate owned and driven by profit. NPR and PBS are not. That is their unique value. They are a mainstream alternative to the corporate commerical media.

i was referrin to what Genx87 said - not what you said :)

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: kogase

Where to start?
Frontline.

Those aren't convincing examples. Rather than just say "everything", you should provide specific examples in their programming that demonstrate a left wing bias.

Nope. Not very convincing at all. Doesn't Tucker Carlson play in your market?

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28

does that mean he's liberal now? ;)
i'm joking but okay - here is one conservative show. i'm not aware of the full PBS lineup so does anyone else have anything?

He's not liberal, but he's a genuine conservative (unlike most "conservatives" nowadays). On a funny note, he did predict that the Dems would win back the House in 2006.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't care about PBS. I'd not really heard about PBR until about two weeks ago and it's quickly risen to the top of my radio station favourites.

Regards to tax money, I'm not sure. I like their style, but they can surely figure something out without the funding.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nope. Not very convincing at all.
Doesn't have to be. I'm just voicing my opinion.
I was wrong about the PBS funding 15-20% is funded by the governemnt through CPB.
The last numbers I saw were a $1.8B budget of which $285M is public. If public funding of PBS is only 15-20% of their budget cut them totally off the public teat and let them sink or swim on their own.

surreal1221

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2005
Got to start cutting funding someplace, and well. . . with this war going on, don't expect it to come from anywhere else except from quality programs such as NPR and PBS to pay for the sh1tty "other" programs.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: BBond
Don't you folks worry. Soon, Republican control of all media will be complete and you won't even have the MSM to watch.

McCain Unveils Measure To End Analog Broadcasts

Hey brainiac we are already tentatively scheduled for Jan 1st 2007 to have all open air broadcasts be digital.
LOL. :thumbsup:

I was wonder WTF he was trying to get at. The fact that we are switching over from analog to digital television is a sign that the Republicans are trying to kill all dissentient media? :confused:

And this from someone who like to throw around the "kool-aid' bit? Someone's posts are going to be lumped in the "whacko - ignore" pile from now on.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Nope. Not very convincing at all.
Doesn't have to be. I'm just voicing my opinion.
I was wrong about the PBS funding 15-20% is funded by the governemnt through CPB.
The last numbers I saw were a $1.8B budget of which $285M is public. If public funding of PBS is only 15-20% of their budget cut them totally off the public teat and let them sink or swim on their own.

So it's costing the taxpayers a little over a one dollar per person per year???

Like I said, it's a bargin. Sign the petition.

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/