Updated - Buying a 2012 Nissan GT-R - ETA - This Week

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Now, now, now. Leave the poor guy alone. He's forced to use Macs, so at least leave him with some dignity.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
The asthetic design and history of the Corvette is why the rear is designed to look the way it looks to begin with. It's a signature styling cue of nearly all Corvettes since the first.

Seamless rear panel with lights, bumper, etc, all a single integrated flush surface. This means it's a single one piece panel. This is the only thing different about the Corvette's rear "bumper" vs most other cars.

You don't have a vertical trunk surface, two fenders ends, external tailight housings, a trunk sill plate, and a small bumper. You have no ribs, no creases, no sills, nothing. You have one flush large single piece. Being a single panel, means it's very large. Large panels flex easier than small panels. Who would have thought?

That said, I already know I could push in the hood or door or any large flat single piece panel similar in size to the Corvette's rear panel on any Jag/BMW/etc regardless if it's metal or plastic. Can't push in the rear bumper because it's a different shape and style from a different car? No problem I'll find something else close. Press my knee into the door of a BMW... hey it buckled because it's just sheet metal with nothing behind it... oh wow what garbage. :\

You should spend some time making friends and hanging out at body/upholstery shops so you can see just how shitty ANY car really is and see how much elitist wool pulled over your eyes. Just watch and learn, don't open your mouth. It's not as fancy or high tech as you think.

I've seen BMWs, Mercedes, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc all in the body shop. And guess what, take out the stitched leather and wood veneer and emblem emblazoned covers, and underneath it's *ALL* staples, glue, seam putty, rivets, rusty brackets, electrical tape, panels beaten with a hammer and spot welded, primer, and ZOMG PLASTIC!1!! Amazing what a shiny finish coat and some scraps of leather on the outside can do.

I notice Mr. Fiftypostsaday has been strangely absent from this thread since this (and a few other) posts were made. All because you made him look like a total fool.

...is there hope in the war against trolls? :p

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I notice Mr. Fiftypostsaday has been strangely absent from this thread since this (and a few other) posts were made. All because you made him look like a total fool.

...is there hope in the war against trolls? :p

I don't think it's that, I think he's probably not posted here since as it got too technical and he lost interest.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Figured out what happened to OP. He was racing for slips and thus never had his car.

1879bbb64f0b9793aeaa4d0da2f63ea74.jpg

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I don't think it's that, I think he's probably not posted here since as it got too technical and he lost interest.

...or realized he had been proven wrong, had no way of refuting it or arguing the point, and decided to quietly slip away in hopes no one one notice.

Great thread to do it in, too. How very fitting. :)