Updated - Buying a 2012 Nissan GT-R - ETA - This Week

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
Been thinking about it ever since i saw one a few weeks ago in person. They're absolutely stunning and i've been tossing around the idea of buying a new one but i saw a used one on ebay and it has peaked my interest.

Right now i'm free and clear on my vehicles, own my home and have ample savings. What does everyone think?

!!h!r4dw!WE~$(KGrHqYOKkYEznEZ9ykKBNPCHmV7RQ~~_4.JPG

!!h!r4r!!mE~$(KGrHqUOKpoE0VRsee(QBNPCHosqqw~~_4.JPG

Ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...nkw=390283958436&_fvi=1&_rdc=1#ht_8888wt_1165

Last edited:

punjabiplaya

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
nope. Nissan is going to be releasing upgrade kits for older GTRs to get them up to the 2012's power and stuff.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Maintenance is very expensive on these, and you need to be sure the dealership near you can even service it. This is a car I'd rather buy new as who knows what the previous owner did. Too many launches and they won't cover the transmission, which costs like 20+k not including install charges. Newer ones seem to have a better launch control, dunno if Nissan is covering older ones or not.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
If you can afford it, then there is no reason not too. I personally think it is a very cool car and it's performance is amazing for it's price.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've always liked the Skylines since the emergence of the R32, but what I really liked about them was the performance you got for the meager price (at least considering it was about ~45k via Yen to USD conversion if I remember correctly). The new one is far more expensive, but it is still a great car for its price.

The Nissan dealer here can service GT-Rs, which would tempt me more than I'd want to be tempted :p.

There's nothing in the GT-R's specs about a full-on "you might as well just bought a minivan" automatic transmission:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Gt-r

In fact, I just went and watched the Top Gear segment on the GT-R (Season 11, Episode 5) and it's the exact same gear lever. He put it down into manual (the bottom) to enable the "flappy paddles."

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I really like the car, but be prepared to pay for the performance. Things like tires, brakes, and oil changes are much more expensive that anything you may be used to. I know that replacing $2k worth of tires on my Vette is shock.

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
I really like the car, but be prepared to pay for the performance. Things like tires, brakes, and oil changes are much more expensive that anything you may be used to. I know that replacing $2k worth of tires on my Vette is shock.

Yikes and double yikes on that kent. Tires start at 1350 for a set.

Going to try and stop by the nissan dealer this afternoon to see if possibly he's getting a pearl white or can find me one. Was doing some reading and guys have been getting leftover 09's and 10 models for invoice around 80K. I'd much rather pay 10K more for brand new then get stuck with a vehicle thats been beat on.

A 3 year / 36000 mile prepaid maintenance package for this car runs for 6500 dollars which is actually less then i expected.

Last edited:

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
CTS-V is a great car but not a super car. Equally you can have a Z06 as well. But the key thing i think is that the GT-R is a super car that can be daily driven. AWD is key in this. Yea $60k is a lot of money for a car, obviously you have that type of money to throw around. So there are PLENTY of cars in your range. If you just want to own ONE car then a GTR is top of my list. But then again i wouldn't want to own just one car. a CTS-V + a SUV is the route i go with $60k or any other higher end car.

I know 2 GTR's owners and they both dont use it very often which is just sad. If i had the money to buy it, it will be a daily driven

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
CTS-V is a great car but not a super car. Equally you can have a Z06 as well. But the key thing i think is that the GT-R is a super car that can be daily driven. AWD is key in this. Yea $60k is a lot of money for a car, obviously you have that type of money to throw around. So there are PLENTY of cars in your range. If you just want to own ONE car then a GTR is top of my list. But then again i wouldn't want to own just one car. a CTS-V + a SUV is the route i go with $60k or any other higher end car.

I know 2 GTR's owners and they both dont use it very often which is just sad. If i had the money to buy it, it will be a daily driven

The z06 is VERY close to the GTR in performance. Upgrades on the LS motors are cheap as well. Maintenance on a Corvette is super cheap as well.

The GTR might be a bit more prestigious, but with a Corvette you can beat on it every single day and it won't complain.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I'd much rather have a CTS-V. Call it an old man car if you want, but performance is comparable(0-60 on CTS-V is 3.9, GTR is 3.5-3.8 without launch control) and it can seat 4 comfortably. Plus the maint would be much less. Cheaper to insure as well I'm sure.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
if you got the $, why not
awesome car, not something i'll ever be able to afford haha :)
enjoy life!

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'd much rather have a CTS-V. Call it an old man car if you want, but performance is comparable(0-60 on CTS-V is 3.9, GTR is 3.5-3.8 without launch control) and it can seat 4 comfortably. Plus the maint would be much less. Cheaper to insure as well I'm sure.

I was just looking around a few minutes ago and an 04-05 CTS-V can be had for under $20k.

Hmmmmm.

Sinanju

Jan 25, 2011
I will tell you right now. It was the best decision i've ever made. i have a white 09 GTR and it is fun as hell to drive.
No mods yet though. trying to keep her clean.

and all the vette fans can shove it because
1. every 40yr old getting no tail goes out to buy a vette during their mid-life crisis.
2. you see vettes everywhere
3. the vette is not a 'Super luxury Sports' car.

Dont get me wrong i love vette, they are sexy ass cars, but like mustangs (which are nice too) everyone with a decent amount of money has one.

but look at it this way.

It takes a lighter, RWD, supercharged V8, manual, $100k+, 600+ HP car to beat a..

much heavier, V6, auto, AWD, ~$86k, 480hp car

at the end of the day and you think about all the added features you get with the GTR and everything that it took just for the ZR1 to beat the GTR ( only in the performance area). The GTR is the real winner. The GTR also rides smoother and has superior interior.

Another thing people talk about is maintenance cost and/or insurance.... If you're worried about costs for small stuff like tires and other maintenance and insurance. Then you're too poor to afford cars like these.

Last edited:

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I was just looking around a few minutes ago and an 04-05 CTS-V can be had for under $20k.

Hmmmmm.

My brother has the older gen, maybe an 06? He likes it. I've driven it. While it's pretty damn fast, it sure is a rough ride. Really bad wheel-hop too.