Updated - Buying a 2012 Nissan GT-R - ETA - This Week

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It's just a solid example of how to check if a car has been made as cheaply as humanly possible, using cheap materials.

No, it isn't. It's not any sort of a test. The Corvette's materials are no cheaper than any other car's.

Don't look now, but Boeing is making a whole airliner fuselage out of plastic.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
No, it isn't. It's not any sort of a test. The Corvette's materials are no cheaper than any other car's.

Don't look now, but Boeing is making a whole airliner fuselage out of plastic.

It's just the only car I know that does that, and it's also a car renown for it's cheap materials.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It's just the only car I know that does that, and it's also a car renown for it's cheap materials.

The Corvette is known for it's state of the art high tech materials and manufacturing.

Next you'll whine that they had balsa wood in the floor...

How did they calibrate the pressure they were putting on the parts to be certain they weren't pressing on one harder than the other?

I'm a metrologist by training. How much pressure was put on the Corvette vs any other cars?

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
How did they calibrate the pressure they were putting on the parts to be certain they weren't pressing on one harder than the other?

I'm a metrologist by training. How much pressure was put on the Corvette vs any other cars?

1) Who is "they"
2) I doubt "they" measured the pressure
3) I'm talking about in my own experience and there is a finite amount of pressure I can apply using two fingers.
that's what she said

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
1) Who is "they"
2) I doubt "they" measured the pressure
3) I'm talking about in my own experience and there is a finite amount of pressure I can apply using two fingers.

You hate the Vette, you are biased. I can't rely on you to give the Vette a fair shake. You would certainly press harder on the Vette's bumper cover, and give a Jag a pass. This much is clear.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
You hate the Vette, you are biased. I can't rely on you to give the Vette a fair shake. You would certainly press harder on the Vette's bumper cover, and give a Jag a pass. This much is clear.

Then allow me to add this:

I do not have the strength in two fingers to push in my Dad's Jag's bumper

It definitely is, except when a TV show needs viewers.

No. It is not, In the UK it is known as a cheap gaudy american car with a massive engine. Ask around a UK forum and see.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Any modern Jag almost certainly has the same "cheap" plastic bumper covers as the Corvette, made out of the same "cheap" materials.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
In fact Euro pedestrian protection rules pretty much mandate a weak front bumper cover to prevent limb damage.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
And it would embarrass any car coming out of England on the track, especially when you consider the (U.S.) price.

It doesn't pretend to be a luxury car, despite the fact that it's reasonably comfortable and gets good fuel economy for having 400HP+.

Why is this even an argument? Made of plastic or playdough, it embarrasses pretty much every other car's performance in its price range.

And yes, performance includes more than just acceleration.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
He's not interested in a rational discussion at all.

If he'd just say he doesn't like the Vette, and JC was just ragging on it as usual, it would be fine, but he insists on making a useless point, that he can't even make anyway.

I don't know who the bigger fool is, him, or me for taking his bait...

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I agree plastic bumpers suck, badly. I'll stick with my all solid steel 84 chevy pickup.

My neibour actually ran into my back bumper last week(he parks in the spot across from me in my apartments parkade) cause he wasnt paying attention and cracked his plastic bumper and grill as well as shattered his headlights on both sides, was quoted $1300 for the repairs. There literally isnt even a noticable scrath in my bumper. I laughed when he told me about it which is funny cause he thought i was going to flip out.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
In nearly all modern cars, the bumper is still steel. Only the cover is plastic for decorative and aero purposes.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
interestingly enough, i've only seen 1 GTR in the SF Bay Area and it was in Stockton.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Then allow me to add this:

I do not have the strength in two fingers to push in my Dad's Jag's bumper

The asthetic design and history of the Corvette is why the rear is designed to look the way it looks to begin with. It's a signature styling cue of nearly all Corvettes since the first.

Seamless rear panel with lights, bumper, etc, all a single integrated flush surface. This means it's a single one piece panel. This is the only thing different about the Corvette's rear "bumper" vs most other cars.

You don't have a vertical trunk surface, two fenders ends, external tailight housings, a trunk sill plate, and a small bumper. You have no ribs, no creases, no sills, nothing. You have one flush large single piece. Being a single panel, means it's very large. Large panels flex easier than small panels. Who would have thought?

That said, I already know I could push in the hood or door or any large flat single piece panel similar in size to the Corvette's rear panel on any Jag/BMW/etc regardless if it's metal or plastic. Can't push in the rear bumper because it's a different shape and style from a different car? No problem I'll find something else close. Press my knee into the door of a BMW... hey it buckled because it's just sheet metal with nothing behind it... oh wow what garbage. :\

You should spend some time making friends and hanging out at body/upholstery shops so you can see just how shitty ANY car really is and see how much elitist wool pulled over your eyes. Just watch and learn, don't open your mouth. It's not as fancy or high tech as you think.

I've seen BMWs, Mercedes, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc all in the body shop. And guess what, take out the stitched leather and wood veneer and emblem emblazoned covers, and underneath it's *ALL* staples, glue, seam putty, rivets, rusty brackets, electrical tape, panels beaten with a hammer and spot welded, primer, and ZOMG PLASTIC!1!! Amazing what a shiny finish coat and some scraps of leather on the outside can do.

Last edited:

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
Nobles and TVRs have fibreglass bodies as well. It's a good way to keep the weight and cost down instead of using aluminium. In a car designed for the track it doesn't really matter.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I disagree. It's definitely not know for that in England.

thats because you are guys are still learning dentistry, and havent figured out what carbon fiber is and that lucas electronics are shit yet ():)

Last edited: