UPDATE! There was a hate crime committed accross the street from my school

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: nan0bug
Originally posted by: SherEPunjab
Originally posted by: MindStorm
Originally posted by: se7enty7

I see 50x more racist black people than I do racist whites.

EDIT:
And this thread follows what I see where I live.

Let me guess, you're one of the ridiculously stupid 40% of AT (referring to a poll from a while ago) who believe white males are the most discriminated group.

I do believe that, but I didn't participate in the poll.

Do you seriously believe that? When I saw the results of the poll, that just boggled my mind. It's like someone dogmatically arguing with me that the earth is flat. It's such a ridiculous notion that I don't even know how to respond. WHY do you believe, as a white male, that you are the most discriminated group against? Because of AA?

Man AA is most predujiced against those that don't benefit from it but technically should. I believe AA was designed to "correct the wrong doings of the past," and to attempt to ensure that fair amounts of people from different ethnic groups are represented in the work place and schools. Well, Asians were discriminated against in the past as well. When was a white protestant male discriminated against in this country? The Chinese were forced to build the railroads under slave like conditions, they were put in the coal mines first to die off, they were lynched and harassed esp. the chinese with long pigtail hair).

This is why I say they are the real victims of A.A., I definitely do not think whites are. Even today minority groups are discriminated against, how much is all relative. Blacks, obviously, get discriminated against the most. But don't think that Asians don't. They do, and they have to contend with the fact that they are already often overrepresented in many colleges and the pool with which they are competing against is, in all probability, superior to the pool of whites in terms of academic merit. I think they are on the receiving end both times. i think this and i'm not even chinese.

I agree. Discrimination against blacks isn't nearly as open as it is against asians and middle eastern people. I hear more people make fun of the way asians and middle eastern people talk than any other kind of racism on a day to day basis.

All of that is still petty sh!t. As an Asian, I sure as hell wouldn't be justified in saying my race is the most discriminated against group because of affirmative action or because people poke fun at the Asian accents. Likewise, it's just as crazy when white guys cry "pity me" because their advantaged position is being slowly being eroded by affirmative action. When I apply to medical school or graduate engineering school, I'm going to get screwed over, because as SherEPunjab said, we are over-represented. But I'm not going to bitch like the aformentioned 40% of AT who participated in the poll because I realize the discrimination against me is still petty when I consider the much greater racism that blacks, Arabs, women, or half-Arab-half-black lesbian handicapped women have to face. To those certain white boys, you are not the most discriminated group, get the fvck over your self-pity and maybe you'll come to understand a little of the real racism other people face.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Now why did a thread about someone burning a cross in an Afro-American's yard become an argument about affirmative action?

Why did you guys feel the need to divert this thread?

Did someone bring up BET and "when will they start of WET" too?

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Xionide
Pickup truck driving, Garth Brooks listening, confederate flag brandishing, nascar watching white people are hicks. I can say that because I am white.

And I cant?

-Xionide

Sure, as soon as I can start calling welfare supported, drug dealing, ghetto dwelling, pants sagging to their asses wearing black people 'n-ggers'. Thats the stereotype, right?

Okay, whats wrong with someone being on welfare? or living in the ghetto? or have pants sagging to their a55es?

The first and second is a matter of circumstance, many times not controllable. Being on welfare automatically does not make the person a bad person. If they abuse it, then it does. Living in the ghetto has absolutely nothing to do with if a person is good or not, no point in even addressing that. The sagging pants doesn't make the person inferior, only different. Should I think that my fellow Texans with 10 gallon hats, pants tight enough to ensure their impotence, and belt buckles that would blind Stevie Wonder are inferior because they dress like (idiots in my opinion)? And about the drug dealing, the blacks wouldn't have drugs to sell if the white kids wouldn't buy it now, would they?

I don't disagree with you, trust me. I was just pointing out the absurdity of his point of view. Prejudice is prejudice no matter how you cut it. He can call people hicks if thats what he feels like doing, but then he needs to understand that he has no room to get offended if someone refers to someone in his race as a 'n-gger'

Holding on to these prejudices does nothing to bring people together. My step-father listens to Garth Brooks, drives a pickup truck, and watches Nascar. He doesn't wave a confederate flag, but according to the definition up there, by any other standard he's considered a 'hick'. He's not a hick. Hick carries the negative connotation of being a racist or ignorant and uneducated. He's got not one but two degrees. His favorite music group is the Temptations. Hes about as far removed from hick as they come, but because of the stereotype, if either of those guys saw him tailgating at a nascar race in the poconos listening to garth brooks, the immediate reaction would be 'oh, hes a hick'.

That as absurd as me seeing a black heart surgeon on his way to work, driving a Mercedes through a bad neighborhood wearing baggy clothes, listening to 50 cent and coming to the conclusion that he must be a welfare supported drug dealing n-gger. Its exactly the same thing.

Honestly, I'm not offended by 'hick' or 'white trash' or any of that. If someone were to call me that, it says a lot more about them than it does about me. However, I think its funny every time I see someone from another race talking about racism and throwing around terms like 'hick' or 'cracker' or any other derogatory term.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Now why did a thread about someone burning a cross in an Afro-American's yard become an argument about affirmative action?

don't blame me, i'm not the one that brought it up, though i guess i participated. oh well, its related as, apparently, the reason some people think that whites are the most discriminated against is because of a.a.
rolleye.gif

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Wow, never seen so much dumb racist sh!t in my life. Good job douche bags (you know who you are). How about handing the keys to my thread back?

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003

I see 50x more racist black people than I do racist whites.

EDIT:
And this thread follows what I see where I live.

Let me guess, you're one of the ridiculously stupid 40% of AT (referring to a poll from a while ago) who believe white males are the most discriminated group.

I do believe that, but I didn't participate in the poll.

Do you seriously believe that? When I saw the results of the poll, that just boggled my mind. It's like someone dogmatically arguing with me that the earth is flat. It's such a ridiculous notion that I don't even know how to respond. WHY do you believe, as a white male, that you are the most discriminated group against? Because of AA?

Man AA is most predujiced against those that don't benefit from it but technically should. I believe AA was designed to "correct the wrong doings of the past," and to attempt to ensure that fair amounts of people from different ethnic groups are represented in the work place and schools. Well, Asians were discriminated against in the past as well. When was a white protestant male discriminated against in this country? The Chinese were forced to build the railroads under slave like conditions, they were put in the coal mines first to die off, they were lynched and harassed esp. the chinese with long pigtail hair).

This is why I say they are the real victims of A.A., I definitely do not think whites are. Even today minority groups are discriminated against, how much is all relative. Blacks, obviously, get discriminated against the most. But don't think that Asians don't. They do, and they have to contend with the fact that they are already often overrepresented in many colleges and the pool with which they are competing against is, in all probability, superior to the pool of whites in terms of academic merit. I think they are on the receiving end both times. i think this and i'm not even chinese.

I agree. Discrimination against blacks isn't nearly as open as it is against asians and middle eastern people. I hear more people make fun of the way asians and middle eastern people talk than any other kind of racism on a day to day basis.

All of that is still petty sh!t. As an Asian, I sure as hell wouldn't be justified in saying my race is the most discriminated against group because of affirmative action or because people poke fun at the Asian accents. Likewise, it's just as crazy when white guys cry "pity me" because their advantaged position is being slowly being eroded by affirmative action. When I apply to medical school or graduate engineering school, I'm going to get screwed over, because as SherEPunjab said, we are over-represented. But I'm not going to bitch like the aformentioned 40% of AT who participated in the poll because I realize the discrimination against me is still petty when I consider the much greater racism that blacks, Arabs, women, or half-Arab-half-black lesbian handicapped women have to face. To those certain white boys, you are not the most discriminated group, get the fvck over your self-pity and maybe you'll come to understand a little of the real racism other people face.

Let me elaborate my statement. I was agreeing in the sense that I think asians and middle-eastern people are the most openly discriminated against group in this country. It is for some reason socially acceptable to make fun of the way an asian or middle eastern person talks on tv, on the radio, in movies and in everyday life. Most people who do it don't even understand how degrading it is, and I say that as a white person who has done it myself in my younger, more ignorant days.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

don't blame me, i'm not the one that brought it up, though i guess i participated. oh well, its related as, apparently, the reason some people think that whites are the most discriminated against is because of a.a.
rolleye.gif

The diversion of this thread into a discussion of the evils of affirmative action reflects the attitudes some people on this forum have towards Afro-Americans. It has happened before in other threads and it is pretty much the same people who are doing the diversions.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002

rolleye.gif

The diversion of this thread into a discussion of the evils of affirmative action reflects the attitudes some people on this forum have towards Afro-Americans. It has happened before in other threads and it is pretty much the same people who are doing the diversions.

so should we ignore their attempts in the future (didn't realize it was patterned)?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
didn't read the whole thread but "hick" is not the same as "n!gger" because the former has more to do with education and mannerism than race. "cracker", on the other hand, is equitable to "n!gger"

furthermore, usage of these words does not mean you are racist. are you racist simply because you say n!gger? just by saying one word, you discriminate on the basis of race? i don't think so, you are racist because of your actions, because you hire on the basis of race or because you believe one race is better than the other, not because you chose to call a race a term.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Its all that anyone has been talking about in my school. There is a black family that had a cross burnt in their front yard. The dad is a priest at the local church. Here is a link to the story. Mike Buckholz is my history teacher and I signed that poster that they are talking about in that link.

There has been a racial dispute going on in our city. The walls in our gym last year had "KILL ALL THE awesome people" spray painted all over. I am part of the 1% of the black kids that go to the school and I have noticed a lot more "hicks" lately and confederate flags and swasticas all over. I am not saying its them or anything (in fact it was a couple of "hicks" bringing that poster around to the classes) but you know what I mean.

It is pretty funny. Everybody is blaming people they hate at the high school for it and they are being pulled into the office. This is the second time this year our tiny little city has had a blip on the news. Remeber earlier this year when that guy was selling those jets and fiber optic cable on ebay? That guys company is in arlington too.

As for me, I am not scared or anything. Just kind of suprised this would happen in the most northwest part of the country. The main thing that is pissing me off is people coming up to me and asking me for the ol "black perspective". Ya, I am black. No my mind isnt wired differently than anyone else's. I am not about to break out in a "I have a dream" speach. LOL @ white people (jk)

Cliff notes: There was a cross burning on a black familys lawn and the dads a priest. Riots broke out and the millitary got involved and ran over 2 people with a tank.

-Xionide

I take great offense to calling white people "hicks". Please edit it from your post. I wouldn't call your race a degrading name, and you have no right to refer to white people that way either.

i live in a hick town ... i am white... i see that my town is full of hicks ... i see as$es like the ones he mention... so fvck you get over it.. the country is full of racism... and if you see that it is just a tool people use to get the others behind them by showing a different person and blaming them (ie alien and sedition acts) ... just shut the fvck up ...

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: gopunk
didn't read the whole thread but "hick" is not the same as "n!gger" because the former has more to do with education and mannerism than race. "cracker", on the other hand, is equitable to "n!gger"

furthermore, usage of these words does not mean you are racist. are you racist simply because you say n!gger? just by saying one word, you discriminate on the basis of race? i don't think so, you are racist because of your actions, because you hire on the basis of race or because you believe one race is better than the other, not because you chose to call a race a term.

I took a diversity course at work. It is required. One of the valuable lessons for me was that because something, a word, phrase, or gesture, does not offend me, my family, and friends does not mean it is not offensive. It is not enough to say "people are just too sensitive" or the "PC" is evil. We need to respect that we have different backgrounds and experiences and try not to project ours onto other people.

If someone told me something I said or wrote was offensive to them, I now apologize and edit out the offending word or phrase.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I took a diversity course at work. It is required. One of the valuable lessons for me was that because something, a word, phrase, or gesture, does not offend me, my family, and friends does not mean it is not offensive. It is not enough to say "people are just too sensitive" or the "PC" is evil. We need to respect that we have different backgrounds and experiences and try not to project ours onto other people.

If someone told me something I said or wrote was offensive to them, I now apologize and edit out the offending word or phrase.

I agree with gopunk, however, I think "sensitivity" training is complete crap. All it does is teach people to watch what they say, but they are still thinking whatever offensive term they were going to say. It doesn't change PEOPLE it changes SPEECH, and that will never ever ever ever help when it comes to racism. Anyway, I hope they catch the people that burnt the cross, and that they get what they deserve. It is 2004 people, whats with "burning crosses" and the like? People are different and skin color exists. Anyone that says they don't see skin color is a liar. The best thing we can do is realize cultures and people are different and accept that. Having to take "sensitivity" training however is just going to create back-biting and is a waste of time. Censoring speech is never effective. Education is effective.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Wow, never seen so much dumb racist sh!t in my life. Good job douche bags (you know who you are). How about handing the keys to my thread back?

Knowing that A.A. is unfair, is different then being racist. Seems you have a one track mind.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
To get back on topic how do you knew it was a hate crime. Maybe the preson that burnte the cross did it because the other day the guy cut him off driving?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Spencer278
To get back on topic how do you knew it was a hate crime. Maybe the preson that burnte the cross did it because the other day the guy cut him off driving?

Yes, because people afflicted with road rage burn goddamn crosses in black people's yards. It is obvious it was a hate crime you nitwit.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Let me elaborate my statement. I was agreeing in the sense that I think asians and middle-eastern people are the most openly discriminated against group in this country. It is for some reason socially acceptable to make fun of the way an asian or middle eastern person talks on tv, on the radio, in movies and in everyday life. Most people who do it don't even understand how degrading it is, and I say that as a white person who has done it myself in my younger, more ignorant days.

I think people make fun of anyone that can't speak english. Just post a thread about making english the national language and people will start bash mexicans and others that speak spanish. Additional due to the number of college professor that are imported from asia who can't speak english it further increase the dislike of asians that can't speak english.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Its all that anyone has been talking about in my school. There is a black family that had a cross burnt in their front yard. The dad is a priest at the local church. Here is a link to the story. Mike Buckholz is my history teacher and I signed that poster that they are talking about in that link.

There has been a racial dispute going on in our city. The walls in our gym last year had "KILL ALL THE NIGGERS" spray painted all over. I am part of the 1% of the black kids that go to the school and I have noticed a lot more "hicks" lately and confederate flags and swasticas all over. I am not saying its them or anything (in fact it was a couple of "hicks" bringing that poster around to the classes) but you know what I mean.

It is pretty funny. Everybody is blaming people they hate at the high school for it and they are being pulled into the office. This is the second time this year our tiny little city has had a blip on the news. Remeber earlier this year when that guy was selling those jets and fiber optic cable on ebay? That guys company is in arlington too.

As for me, I am not scared or anything. Just kind of suprised this would happen in the most northwest part of the country. The main thing that is pissing me off is people coming up to me and asking me for the ol "black perspective". Ya, I am black. No my mind isnt wired differently than anyone else's. I am not about to break out in a "I have a dream" speach. LOL @ white people (jk)

Cliff notes: There was a cross burning on a black familys lawn and the dads a priest. Riots broke out and the millitary got involved and ran over 2 people with a tank.

-Xionide

I take great offense to calling white people "hicks". Please edit it from your post. I wouldn't call your race a degrading name, and you have no right to refer to white people that way either.

You better be joking. Seriously, didnt you see the quotation marks? Did I say all white people are hicks? Its a name of a grouping of people and not one of them is offended by it. Actually they prefer that or rednecks and I am not joking they sit there and they are like "Damn right I am a redneck". Its just a category of clique at our school. Just like Nerd, band geek, jock, prep, skater should I go on?

Go ahead and reply to this saying something like "well why do black people get to say nigger and not white people? hmm. HMMM!"
Well that is because of context and you know it. I could go on but why fuel the fire?

-Xionide

I am dead serious.

You didn't term all white people as hicks. You coined a stereotypical uneducated white person as a "hick"

Just like there is a difference between a black person and what people call a stereotypical uneducated black person. However, I would never eve
Pickup truck driving, Garth Brooks listening, confederate flag brandishing, nascar watching white people are hicks. I've also found that hicks call every black person the derogatory name that starts with n and rhymes with chigger regardless of education. I can say that because I am white.

Let me guess, you like nascar and garth brooks eh?

well crap. I live on a farm, have a truck, listen to garth brooks and even watch nascar on occasion so i guess i fit the term of "hick". I have NEVER called a black guy that name. Nore am i a raceist (have a mixed family myself).

not all people that listen to such music, watch nascar or such are raciest KKK such.

though i never understood the confederate flagh stuff.

I think thats the point, he's stereotyping. Calling these people hicks, and saying they are all racist. Im pretty sure thats why everyones up in arms. :D

I'm up in arms cause some people *WINK* seem to think AA is perfectly fair. :confused:
Maybe he should have said incestious inbred Trailer Trash. Of course then you would have been offended.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Welcome to the US.

Yeah almost every other place on the planet is a shining example of peace, brotherhood, and lack of ethnic and racial strife.
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Cuda1447

Knowing that A.A. is unfair, is different then being racist. Seems you have a one track mind.

"Your politics don't piss me off. They may make me shake my head in amazement at your blatant denial of reality, but they don't piss me off." - Amused

-Xionide

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

well i disagree with that viewpoint, but that's ok... i don't think we can say that just because a term is offensive to others, saying it makes you a racist... it can make you insensitive, but i think to label someone a racist, you need more.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: tweakmm

There has been a racial dispute going on in our city. The walls in our gym last year had "KILL ALL THE NIGGERS" spray painted all over. I am part of the 1% of the black kids that go to the school and I have noticed a lot more "hicks" lately and confederate flags and swasticas all over. I am not saying its them or anything (in fact it was a couple of "hicks" bringing that poster around to the classes) but you know what I mean.

-Xionide

You better be joking. Seriously, didnt you see the quotation marks? Did I say all white people are hicks? Its a name of a grouping of people and not one of them is offended by it. Actually they prefer that or rednecks and I am not joking they sit there and they are like "Damn right I am a redneck". Its just a category of clique at our school. Just like Nerd, band geek, jock, prep, skater should I go on?

Go ahead and reply to this saying something like "well why do black people get to say nigger and not white people? hmm. HMMM!"
Well that is because of context and you know it. I could go on but why fuel the fire?

-Xionide

I am dead serious.

You didn't term all white people as hicks. You coined a stereotypical uneducated white person as a "hick"

Just like there is a difference between a black person and what people call a stereotypical uneducated black person. However, I would never eve
Pickup truck driving, Garth Brooks listening, confederate flag brandishing, nascar watching white people are hicks. I've also found that hicks call every black person the derogatory name that starts with n and rhymes with chigger regardless of education. I can say that because I am white.

Let me guess, you like nascar and garth brooks eh?

well crap. I live on a farm, have a truck, listen to garth brooks and even watch nascar on occasion so i guess i fit the term of "hick". I have NEVER called a black guy that name. Nore am i a raceist (have a mixed family myself).

not all people that listen to such music, watch nascar or such are raciest KKK such.

though i never understood the confederate flagh stuff.

Well, I guess you're not a 'hick' then. Congratulations. You've overcome the ignorant bias of your forefathers. Don't let too many of your nascar brethren know about this though...they might not let you come to the races anymore.:beer::D

LeetestUnleet

Aug 16, 2002
Hm, yeah, I live in Arlington too (small forums?), and I've heard about this. My sister knew the kids involved (not close friends, but knew them - she's a high school cheerleader)

Whee, a local story making the Today spot! :p