UPDATE! There was a hate crime committed accross the street from my school

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
There's a difference between Xionide calling people at his school hicks and them calling Xionide a n!gger. Whites a) aren't the minority, b) are the ones with power, c) have the race based advantages. When you decide that any recognition of race is racism, and that you should pretend that all races are in equal positions in society, you are just putting a blinder over your own eyes.
:D :beer:

-Xionide

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Be careful what you say or these internet intellectuals will scream "reverse racism".

If you think for a minute that a white person is going to be disadvantaged, compared to a black person, as a result of "racism", you are quite good at fooling yourself.
look at any of the better college a black student will get a free ride where the same white student wouldn't even get looked at.
Oh no you di-en go there. This isn't going to turn into one of those AA threads.

-Xionide

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Be careful what you say or these internet intellectuals will scream "reverse racism".

If you think for a minute that a white person is going to be disadvantaged, compared to a black person, as a result of "racism", you are quite good at fooling yourself.
look at any of the better college a black student will get a free ride where the same white student wouldn't even get looked at.
Actually, he has a pretty valid point it is much much easier to get into colleges and get financial aid as a minority as compared to a white person. What I would do to be a moderately intelligent Native American.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Xionide

Oh no you di-en go there. This isn't going to turn into one of those AA threads.

-Xionide

Your come across as being extremely dense and uneducated.

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Am I the only one who doesn't think this is racist? Or that there are only white hicks for that matter? I think hicks are entirely separate from any race. They lack society's common standards. When I was in the South, I saw white hicks, black hicks, and mexican hicks. Who the hell cares what race they are. I'm going to make fun of you if you live in squalor, regardless of your race.

I was actually going to make a joke about racism until I saw that Xionide is black and lives in the northwest. WTH is that about? Personally, if I saw anybody painting swastikas on stuff, I'd probably let them know how I felt about it. There's a difference between hilarity and tastelesness (usually their conviction) (a pun OH SNAP!) and I won't stand for tastelesness.

I think to combat this type of behavior, I'm going to use racial slurs to describe somebody of any race. This can only lead to good things. Maybe it will desensitize some idiotic people, who knows.

-silver

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Emveach
OMG now I am an uneducated racist. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
I never said you were uneducated. A racist, yes...you might just be. If you want to call youself uneducated, then thats your own call to make.

I can't, for the life of me, understand where you people are coming from.

The man pointed out several cliques in the highschool. I would say that jock, nerd, band geek, skater, etc. more or less refers to a life style rather than a race.

Now yes, hick might have a racial bias in the stereotype....but so what? There's a distinct difference in the conotation between hick and *igger, imo. When someone says hick I think white guy.....who fits a specific life style (trucks, country/western, hunting, sometimes uneducated, etc...). When someone says *igger it only implies "black person" to me...not a specific lifestyle. Thus, to me, *igger is a racist term...not a term defining a stereotype.

So the argument is: "how come black people can say *igger to each other?" Because they can. That's all there is to it. There's an obvious difference in context (an argument perhaps) when a black person means it to actually be offensive to another black person. Same goes for gay people calling each other *aggot, and the like.

my $0.02

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Originally posted by: Emveach
OMG now I am an uneducated racist. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
I never said you were uneducated. A racist, yes...you might just be. If you want to call youself uneducated, then thats your own call to make.

I can't, for the life of me, understand where you people are coming from.

The man pointed out several cliques in the highschool. I would say that jock, nerd, band geek, skater, etc. more or less refers to a life style rather than a race.

Now yes, hick might have a racial bias in the stereotype....but so what? There's a distinct difference in the conotation between hick and *igger, imo. When someone says hick I think white guy.....who fits a specific life style (trucks, country/western, hunting, sometimes uneducated, etc...). When someone says *igger it only implies "black person" to me...not a specific lifestyle. Thus, to me, *igger is a racist term...not a term defining a stereotype.

So the argument is: "how come black people can say *igger to each other?" Because they can. That's all there is to it. There's an obvious difference in context (an argument perhaps) when a black person means it to actually be offensive to another black person. Same goes for gay people calling each other *aggot, and the like.

my $0.02
EDIT

whatever, I'm backing out of this.

Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by: se7enty7
Its all that anyone has been talking about in my school. There is a black family that had a cross burnt in their front yard. The dad is a priest at the local church. Here is a link to the story. Mike Buckholz is my history teacher and I signed that poster that they are talking about in that link.

There has been a racial dispute going on in our city. The walls in our gym last year had "KILL ALL THE awesome people" spray painted all over. I am part of the 1% of the black kids that go to the school and I have noticed a lot more "hicks" lately and confederate flags and swasticas all over. I am not saying its them or anything (in fact it was a couple of "hicks" bringing that poster around to the classes) but you know what I mean.

It is pretty funny. Everybody is blaming people they hate at the high school for it and they are being pulled into the office. This is the second time this year our tiny little city has had a blip on the news. Remeber earlier this year when that guy was selling those jets and fiber optic cable on ebay? That guys company is in arlington too.

As for me, I am not scared or anything. Just kind of suprised this would happen in the most northwest part of the country. The main thing that is pissing me off is people coming up to me and asking me for the ol "black perspective". Ya, I am black. No my mind isnt wired differently than anyone else's. I am not about to break out in a "I have a dream" speach. LOL @ white people (jk)

Cliff notes: There was a cross burning on a black familys lawn and the dads a priest. Riots broke out and the millitary got involved and ran over 2 people with a tank.

-Xionide

I take great offense to calling white people "hicks". Please edit it from your post. I wouldn't call your race a degrading name, and you have no right to refer to white people that way either.
What the heck? You're seriously insulted? What if he lives in Georgia and the people there ARE hicks? Shut up, and stop being so whiney about someone talking about specific people, not including you.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002

-Xionide

Your come across as being extremely dense and uneducated.
Hmm I could go a couple places with this. I could reply with some witty response. Or I could comment on your grammer and then you would try to turn my joke back around on me.

-Xionide

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
christ. Every thread dealing with religion, race, politics, whatever always has to turn into this drivel.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: pyonir
christ. Every thread dealing with religion, race, politics, whatever always has to turn into this drivel.
Ya, I mean how many on topic responses were there to this thread?

-Xionide

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
There's a difference between Xionide calling people at his school hicks and them calling Xionide a n!gger. Whites a) aren't the minority, b) are the ones with power, c) have the race based advantages. When you decide that any recognition of race is racism, and that you should pretend that all races are in equal positions in society, you are just putting a blinder over your own eyes.
Wow.

a) aren't the minority
Depends on the definition.

b) are the ones with power
People are voted into office. It's not like some all unsaid saying that White people MUST be in the gov't.

c) have the race based advantages
That is the most backwards retarded thing I've EVER heard. Name ONE THING that white people get because they are white.
Blacks qualify for MANY things white people do not get;
loans, JOBS, etc. etc. etc.

edit:
try schools... you have any idea how many black only scholarships there are?? Show me TWO white only scholarships?
a) Yes whites are the majority... I can't believe that is in contention.
b) I didn't say anything about the government. Look around you. Whites are the ones with power in our society which is directly descended from conquests by europeans.
c) Affirmative action etc is meant to balance the advantages that whites have. There is no way in hell you can think that blacks have advantages over white. Like Chris Rock said, there's a one legged bus boy who wouldn't trade places with him, and he's rich. Tell me this. Would America vote for a black president? Study after study has shown that racial discrimination is still very much present in hiring practices. That's a fact of modern life. It has nothing to do with white supremacy and the KKK. It has to do with social attitudes. You want to see another example of racism that doesn't involve a white hood? Look at migration patterns. White people always move out of an area after blacks move in. Polls show that very high numbers of whites admit that they would leave an area if more black people moved in. I don't want to go and dig up the numbers, but they are substantial. Need another example? GM is being (or was?) sued for consistently giving blacks higher interest rates than whites of the same economic status.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: agnitrate
Am I the only one who doesn't think this is racist? Or that there are only white hicks for that matter? I think hicks are entirely separate from any race. They lack society's common standards. When I was in the South, I saw white hicks, black hicks, and mexican hicks. Who the hell cares what race they are. I'm going to make fun of you if you live in squalor, regardless of your race.

I was actually going to make a joke about racism until I saw that Xionide is black and lives in the northwest. WTH is that about? Personally, if I saw anybody painting swastikas on stuff, I'd probably let them know how I felt about it. There's a difference between hilarity and tastelesness (usually their conviction) (a pun OH SNAP!) and I won't stand for tastelesness.

I think to combat this type of behavior, I'm going to use racial slurs to describe somebody of any race. This can only lead to good things. Maybe it will desensitize some idiotic people, who knows.

-silver
Darn it, you beat me to it. I was going to say the exact same thing. I've never even considered the fact that hick might refer to any particular race. In my mind, it's anybody that lives out in the middle of nowhere, drives a beatup old pickup truck and says "y'all".

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: agnitrate

-silver
Post the joke and I will post mine

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
hick doesn't carry the social stigma the the N word does and so its perfectly acceptable to
call southern whites hicks. se7enty7 I can't believe you're from GA and are waxing indignation
against the word hick. Unless you're just trolling which is what i suspect.

~bulls

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
As for me, I am not scared or anything. Just kind of suprised this would happen in the most northwest part of the country
Does not surprise me at all. I live Vancouver,BC. Vancouver and the Lower Mainland is very urban but once you get out into the country it's major hicksville. I would not be surprised in WA is the same.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Wow, this thread is amazing. Wink, giving black people AA and other advantages like that doesn't even anything out, it gives blacks an UNFAIR advantage, doesn't equal anything out.

If you believe otherwise you are the one whose blind!

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Its all that anyone has been talking about in my school. There is a black family that had a cross burnt in their front yard. The dad is a priest at the local church. Here is a link to the story. Mike Buckholz is my history teacher and I signed that poster that they are talking about in that link.

There has been a racial dispute going on in our city. The walls in our gym last year had "KILL ALL THE awesome people" spray painted all over. I am part of the 1% of the black kids that go to the school and I have noticed a lot more "hicks" lately and confederate flags and swasticas all over. I am not saying its them or anything (in fact it was a couple of "hicks" bringing that poster around to the classes) but you know what I mean.

It is pretty funny. Everybody is blaming people they hate at the high school for it and they are being pulled into the office. This is the second time this year our tiny little city has had a blip on the news. Remeber earlier this year when that guy was selling those jets and fiber optic cable on ebay? That guys company is in arlington too.

As for me, I am not scared or anything. Just kind of suprised this would happen in the most northwest part of the country. The main thing that is pissing me off is people coming up to me and asking me for the ol "black perspective". Ya, I am black. No my mind isnt wired differently than anyone else's. I am not about to break out in a "I have a dream" speach. LOL @ white people (jk)

Cliff notes: There was a cross burning on a black familys lawn and the dads a priest. Riots broke out and the millitary got involved and ran over 2 people with a tank.

-Xionide

I take great offense to calling white people "hicks". Please edit it from your post. I wouldn't call your race a degrading name, and you have no right to refer to white people that way either.
The hicks that did this should be ashamed of themselves. I hope those damned HICKS are punished to the full extent of the law!!!
Hear, hear!

(Or shoud that be "here, here?") Just Kidding! :p

dont worry xionide your not that bad a righter ;)

(No really, I mean that. If you're not getting all "A"s on your papers, just have someone proofread for you, because there aren't any major problems. Even the pros have editors.)

BladeWalker

Aug 31, 2002
It is sad to see this kind of thing happen in my state. This is one of the reasons why I'm always relunctant about most small towns. I wish the best of luck for you, Xionide.

I can't believe some of you people are overeacting over using the word "hicks". You can ask the self-proclaimed "hicks" and see if they are offended by this. In my experience they don't care. That's their lifestyle. As been said before it is not a connotation about skin color.

I got a feeling that some of the people on AT felt some backlash from AA, so they are digging deep for reverse racism whenever the opportunity arises. You people don't understand that racism is still prevalent in the US under the guise of preference. You talk about trying to get into a school, try finding a job with a small company which consist of mainly white males. Do so while you have an ethnic name that you kept (to honor your family) and that no one else is able to pronounce properly. Is it any wonder that most foreigners that come here put a Christian friendly name on their resume so that it will get looked at.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: tweakmm

There has been a racial dispute going on in our city. The walls in our gym last year had "KILL ALL THE NIGGERS" spray painted all over. I am part of the 1% of the black kids that go to the school and I have noticed a lot more "hicks" lately and confederate flags and swasticas all over. I am not saying its them or anything (in fact it was a couple of "hicks" bringing that poster around to the classes) but you know what I mean.

-Xionide

You better be joking. Seriously, didnt you see the quotation marks? Did I say all white people are hicks? Its a name of a grouping of people and not one of them is offended by it. Actually they prefer that or rednecks and I am not joking they sit there and they are like "Damn right I am a redneck". Its just a category of clique at our school. Just like Nerd, band geek, jock, prep, skater should I go on?

Go ahead and reply to this saying something like "well why do black people get to say nigger and not white people? hmm. HMMM!"
Well that is because of context and you know it. I could go on but why fuel the fire?

-Xionide
I am dead serious.

You didn't term all white people as hicks. You coined a stereotypical uneducated white person as a "hick"

Just like there is a difference between a black person and what people call a stereotypical uneducated black person. However, I would never eve
Pickup truck driving, Garth Brooks listening, confederate flag brandishing, nascar watching white people are hicks. I've also found that hicks call every black person the derogatory name that starts with n and rhymes with chigger regardless of education. I can say that because I am white.

Let me guess, you like nascar and garth brooks eh?
well crap. I live on a farm, have a truck, listen to garth brooks and even watch nascar on occasion so i guess i fit the term of "hick". I have NEVER called a black guy that name. Nore am i a raceist (have a mixed family myself).

not all people that listen to such music, watch nascar or such are raciest KKK such.

though i never understood the confederate flagh stuff.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: tweakmm

There has been a racial dispute going on in our city. The walls in our gym last year had "KILL ALL THE NIGGERS" spray painted all over. I am part of the 1% of the black kids that go to the school and I have noticed a lot more "hicks" lately and confederate flags and swasticas all over. I am not saying its them or anything (in fact it was a couple of "hicks" bringing that poster around to the classes) but you know what I mean.

-Xionide

You better be joking. Seriously, didnt you see the quotation marks? Did I say all white people are hicks? Its a name of a grouping of people and not one of them is offended by it. Actually they prefer that or rednecks and I am not joking they sit there and they are like "Damn right I am a redneck". Its just a category of clique at our school. Just like Nerd, band geek, jock, prep, skater should I go on?

Go ahead and reply to this saying something like "well why do black people get to say nigger and not white people? hmm. HMMM!"
Well that is because of context and you know it. I could go on but why fuel the fire?

-Xionide
I am dead serious.

You didn't term all white people as hicks. You coined a stereotypical uneducated white person as a "hick"

Just like there is a difference between a black person and what people call a stereotypical uneducated black person. However, I would never eve
Pickup truck driving, Garth Brooks listening, confederate flag brandishing, nascar watching white people are hicks. I've also found that hicks call every black person the derogatory name that starts with n and rhymes with chigger regardless of education. I can say that because I am white.

Let me guess, you like nascar and garth brooks eh?
well crap. I live on a farm, have a truck, listen to garth brooks and even watch nascar on occasion so i guess i fit the term of "hick". I have NEVER called a black guy that name. Nore am i a raceist (have a mixed family myself).

not all people that listen to such music, watch nascar or such are raciest KKK such.

though i never understood the confederate flagh stuff.
I think thats the point, he's stereotyping. Calling these people hicks, and saying they are all racist. Im pretty sure thats why everyones up in arms. :D

I'm up in arms cause some people *WINK* seem to think AA is perfectly fair. :confused:

BladeWalker

Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Wow, this thread is amazing. Wink, giving black people AA and other advantages like that doesn't even anything out, it gives blacks an UNFAIR advantage, doesn't equal anything out.

For people who can't look at the big picture it seems blatantly unfair, but can you honestly say that you would confront the same amount of racism that a black person would in your lifetime?

Here's a few things to keep in mind:
1. The percentage of Blacks in college vs the percentage of Black population in the US is smaller than that of Whites.
2. There is a large population of Blacks living in poverty.
3. There is a stigma that getting an education is "acting" White.
4. Inner city public schools where most Blacks attend receive less funding and publicity than schools in White neighborhood. (We'll not talk about school shooting)
5. Brown vs the Board of Education.

Education has been known to be the great equalizer, so heaven forbid our government for trying to promote Black education. Affirmative Action may be unfair to any individual that lose out when applying for college. Even with AA still in effect #1 above still holds true, so live with the opportunities you have. In the grand scheme of things AA is the best thing we have at the moment.

You are NOT Black, so you can't possibly understand the extent of racism they face.
I am NOT Black, so I can't possibly understand the extent of racism they face either.

I for one am glad that AA is still in effect and hope that people like you should never have to make a decision affecting AA.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: BladeWalker

For people who can't look at the big picture it seems blatantly unfair, but can you honestly say that you would confront the same amount of racism that a black person would in your lifetime?

1. The percentage of Blacks in college vs the percentage of Black population in the US is smaller than that of Whites.
4. Inner city public schools where most Blacks attend receive less funding and publicity than schools in White neighborhood. (We'll not talk about school shooting)

Education has been known to be the great equalizer, so heaven forbid our government for trying to promote Black education. Affirmative Action may be unfair to any individual that lose out when applying for college. Even with AA still in effect #1 above still holds true, so live with the opportunities you have. In the grand scheme of things AA is the best thing we have at the moment.

You are NOT Black, so you can't possibly understand the extent of racism they face.
I am NOT Black, so I can't possibly understand the extent of racism they face either.

I for one am glad that AA is still in effect and hope that people like you should never have to make a decision affecting AA.

1. The percentage of Blacks in Pro Basketball far outweights the percentage of whites, does that mean we should have AA for the NBA?
2. There is a large population of Whites living in poverty as well.

4. If two people, one black one white go to the same school they should have the same opportunity, they dont. Give extra funding based on school, not race.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
ah heck..i live in the arlington area. i dont think the neighborhood is so bad though.

its near washington DC and there's much more blacks in there. last i heard the black 'minority' was like 65% of the population.

BladeWalker

Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: BladeWalker

1. The percentage of Blacks in Pro Basketball far outweights the percentage of whites, does that mean we should have AA for the NBA?
2. There is a large population of Whites living in poverty as well.

4. If two people, one black one white go to the same school they should have the same opportunity, they dont. Give extra funding based on school, not race.
1. Education improves the individual and society much more so than being able to play basketball. Where are your priorities?
2. Poor whites has better chance of getting Financial Aid than rich ones (which is how it should be).
4. When racism ends and we have equal treatment in society, yes that is how it should be. Race is not the ultimate criteria in college acceptance anyway. Many factors like grades, SAT scores, and economic status are also factors. It's when the applicants are fairly equivalent that race come into play.
5. It should be an important lesson in history.

ASK THE COMMUNITY