UPDATE! Philips CDRW PCRW80 $40 Rebate

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justincase

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2001
Agreed. And far more blood has been spilled in the world over religious issues, than any other reason.

After giving some more thought - we're not going to resolve any religious difference here, so I guess I will just agree to disagree with anyone that has a different point of view, and not escalate this for now. Back to the toilet paper clearance thread for me :)

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000

<< Back to the toilet paper clearance thread for me :) >>

Say brother, can you spare a square???;)

Pretty Cool

Jan 20, 2000
Nobody replied in technical support, so I will ask here. Does anybody have problems with these 16X 700MB CD-R's from CompUSA? Even with the 2.5 upgraded firmware, this drive has burned only coasters(6) with this media. So if there is anybody who purchased these cdrw's for free after rebate, can you tell me if you are able to burn an error-free disc? Thanks.

Steve0

Mar 31, 2000
I have never seen a thread jump the tracks the way this one has.

Or, for that matter, a rebate.

Steve

Afrochops

Oct 1, 2000
Well I haven't recieved my rebate either as of yet. I hope that I get it, but at this point I'm not counting on it. Its not worth it to me to waste away hours on the phone with people that don't have a clue about the situation.

BLAH BLAH BLAH RELIGIOUS SLAM BLAH BLAH BLAH ATHEIST SLAM, keep it on topic, thanks

averageshopper1

Nov 29, 2001
About the CompUSA el cheapo disk (FMI brand) and this particular burner: There appears to be a serious problem
with writing to its FULL 700MB capacity. I learned this about wasting a half dozen disks. If you ONLY
write to its 650MB limits, everything looks OK. Further, you might want to reduce your speed from 8X to
4x or even 2x.

There is something strange about the media. If you are running W2K, look at your event logs. The system is
reporting bad sectors left and right. However, the same writer have no problem at all with any other brand
of CDRs. Any anyone else verify my findings?

Pretty Cool

Jan 20, 2000
Thanks for the reply averageshopper1. With this media, I received buffer underruns, drive fixation errors, disk not readable errors, and vcd's burned as audio cd's. In each case, the total data was less than 650MB. As you suggested, other blank cdrs appear to work normally. I will try to burn at a slower speed in the next few days to test that suggestion. My original question was simply an inquiry into whether the problem was unique to me.

PardonMe

Jul 14, 2001
My son received his $40 check yesterday after sending e-mail to Frenchie last week. It seems that rebate route works.

poolshark

Dec 19, 1999
AnimEva: just flash it before you chalk it up to junk. I had one that was the same way, it was totally junk and I flashed it to something respectable. It really surprised me how a total piece of crap could be transformed to something usable so easily.

MSUman

Sep 19, 2001
Check this out. This is what I just sent Mr. French. I will let you know what he says. Also, for all of you who have heard the "Parago" is the bad guy bullsh|t, read my letter and you'll see who is really at fault here.

Mr. French,

I am sure you are aware of what this letter pertains to, but I shall continue anyway. I purchased your PCRW80 CD burning drive. My rebate was bought and submitted to Parago on 8/22/01. When I had not received this rebate by the beginning of October I immediately inquired with Phillips and was give a case number (U52-xxxxxx) and told I would receive my rebate in 4-6 weeks. I accepted this due to your Customer Service Representative telling me the story about how Parago was the bad one in this deal (although I find the badmouthing of Parago disgusting since I receive rebates from them monthly, within the rebates posted time). I then after a few days received a letter stating the rebate would take 6-8 more weeks! I immediately called to express my concern/disgust and was given the same excuses. I had no choice but to accept. Here it is well past the original due date of my rebate, not to mention the second promised due date and I have nothing. Upon calling your Customer Service line I get the story that "Wow, this should have been there already! I don't know what happened to your rebate, it shows we've inquired several times but the promotions department has never responded. You should have your rebate already. I'm going to send another inquiry to them to try and figure this out." What is that? I have been more than patient with your company and have actually purchased my Television, Stereo system and Monitor from Phillips, as well as my CD Burner. Now I?m told I have to wait again for my rebate up to 6 weeks! This is UNACCEPTABLE!

Like a sucker I believed your promotions department Parago story and purchased my monitor from Phillips via Office Depot. Phillips was offering a $100 mail in rebate on this product and believing your story; I purchased and submitted my rebate to you yet again. When my 8 week waiting period was over and I had not received my rebate I was very disappointed. So, with the limited amount of spare time I have to spend with my fiance outside of work I called your promotions department again. Guess what the story is? Parago must have messed it up! Well, if you took over all your promotions from them after the CD incident then how is Parago to blame? I have been told now for my $100 rebate (Case # U52-xxxxxx) that I have to wait another 6 - 8 weeks!

I am appalled by this childish way of running a business. Every phone call produces another "Wait 4-6 or 6-8 more weeks and I promise it will get there". Now Christmas is upon us and I am short $140 from you. That is a few presents for my family and the words I have for Phillips are far from friendly. Who are you to take my money, invest it and make a high percent yield off of it in the stock market or your bank, and then have the nerve to not reimburse me? You have made countless dollars off of me in the past and others. Then you turn around and treat us like this. With the time value of money and the percentage I paid on my credit card waiting for your check to pay it off, this money is worth about $100 now and you have made how many hundreds off of the suckers you tricked into buying your brand? This is the worst I have EVER been treated by a company. There is a way you can save a bit of your tarnished reputation with me, but I cannot guarantee anyone else. You can send me the money I am owed under the legally binding contract that we agreed to upon purchase, and try to get it here before the day after Christmas. I will be celebrating Christmas with my family the Saturday after Christmas and having that money would help put a smile on their face, which to me is priceless.

How you handle this situation is up to you. I work for a large corporation and I hope you don't honestly try to attempt the "Your check will be cut within 2 weeks" routine. I know that a check can be cut the same day manually in any businesses system and pray that the initiative is taken to do so in order to save your reputation. If you choose to ignore this situation and not respond I feel it is my duty to inform you that I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission. I will also then explore my options with the legal system and possibly join forces with the other hundred or thousands that are already speaking of filing a class action lawsuit. I am sorry that this has come to this point, but when I think of how I will not be able to afford some gifts for my family at Christmas this year and how you have profited from causing this situation, it sickens me.

As an FYI to you, your Customer Service Department has been repeatedly badmouthing Parago in this situation (which Parago could use in a defamation of character lawsuit against Phillips, but that's your choice). Parago, as stated above, has never let me down on any other rebate. In fact, approximately 90% of the time they get Staples rebates back within 4 weeks of submission. Something to think about when you are telling your customers it's Paragos fault, most of them know the above fact and you are only fueling their disgust.

I hope that you take the necessary steps to resolve this issue in a timely manner. I would like to think that Phillips really does care about its customers, after all we are the reason you exist.

Sincerely,

MSUman
(Removed my real name:D)

I think this may get a response, but he|| who knows?

Juicebox

Mar 15, 2000
Hello!

Can anyone who either can can successfully burn at 8x or has flashed their burners tell me the version their drive is? Mine came w/ 2.0. The updater I was able to track down was to update to 2.0?

Please post if your drive has firmware higher (newer) that 2.0.

Thanks

Mac

OJ

Oct 9, 1999
I just made my third monthly call ! They said the same routine, you should get the rebate in four more weeks, WTF!!!!!

I filled in all the complaint forms and emailed upper management, although this does little good.

Looks like Philips is trying really hard to get out of these rebates.

polypterus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
So has anyone received any other rebates from Philips lately, or is it just the burner one? Like MSUman I'm also waiting for the $100 monitor rebate, although I don't think it's been 8 weeks yet. Just wondering, because all I've heard about is the burner rebate...

dc

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
Juice, go to Philips website and use the 12X burner firmware update; it works for the 8X burner and brings it up to 2.5

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I haven't gotten my $40 rebate yet either, and will never ever purchase anything from Philips again.

In response to juicebox, the firmware I have is labeled "2,5" in Nero. I checked the flash filename I have saved, and it doesn't appear on Philips site anymore. Per Whitneymuse's advice to use the 12X firmware update, I was surprised to see that file listed under the 8X burner. But there it is, and it appears to be the official firmware update at this time.

However, at the time I flashed my burner, the firmware file I used was already pulled from Philip's site. I got it from somebody who mirrored the file. The burner is installed in my folks' PC, so I hardly ever use it personally. However, I'm pretty certain that 8X burning works fine with the version 2,5 firmware.

If any of you guys aren't able to get the 12X firmware to work well, let me know and I'll email the firmware update file I have to you. There are two files (one from Philips' site, and one from somewhere else). The filenames are:

flashtool3_1setup.exe
FlashTool 3.1_004 setup.exe

I don't recall which file is the newer one w/ the 2,5 firmware, and the filestamps are I have are only a day apart (in July when I downloaded them both).

I do recall that to flash under Win2K, you use ForceASPI, and that during the flashtool use, a list is shown of which firmware version is available.

If anybody recalls any missing details, or new info, feel free to chime in.

Rab

Oct 11, 1999

<< flashtool3_1setup.exe
FlashTool 3.1_004 setup.exe
>>

They're the same version, only the filenames have been changed.

Otherwise, it looks like you've covered everything.

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is a real load of something... I sent my email to Frenchie today. I won't be dealing with Philips again... What a bunch of losers.

ltm

Feb 2, 2001
After taking the advice of someone above, I sent a simple email to Clark French (clark.french@philips.com) YESTERDAY, and got a response early this morning from (his assistant?) Natalia Russ (natalia.russ@philips.com):

So, for those of you who are patiently waiting, send an email to Natalia Russ, and hopefully you'll get the process moving quickly.
------------------------------

Dear ltm:

Please accept my apologies regarding your missing rebate.

I have sent your name and address to our fulfillment house and will have them cut you a check for $40. I am so sorry for your inconvienance and I assure you that you will receive your $40.

I know you have been waiting long enough already but thousands of names were "lost" during a transition of fulfillment companies. I hate to make you wait longer, but the reality is that we are looking at another couple of weeks. I know this is unacceptable but I did not want to make any more false promises. Again, please forgive us.

Sincere apologies,

Natalia Russ
Philips Merchandising

e-mail: natalia.russ@philips.com

Whitneymuse

Mar 18, 2001
juicebox and jbloggs: I think I flippantly said go to the Philips website and use the PCRW 1208 firmware upgrade because it CAN be utilized on the 804 model, even it it says it is only for the 1208....well, thinking about that last night, I went to NA Philips and wouldn't you know it they blasted ALL their older models away.......((((((ka boom)))))....no support no nothing for the PCRW1208 or our venerable 804s.....thank goodness jbloggs gave you a way to go (at least I hope the information is there) to find support. I checked the European Philips site and they're even more confusing than the North American one.

So, mea culpa, I might have checked before giving you the advice to firmware upgrade at Philips....but if you can find it...use the 1208 upgrade because it's the latest and it works well. I've tried looking on my hard drive and I'm not finding what I did with it, but someone else on this thread might have it! BTW, I think it should come out 2.5 when you're finished, at least that's what mine shows.

Whitney