Unarmed black 17 year old shot by Neighborhood watch captain in gated community...

Page 543 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Absolutely false.

I just want justice to be served appropriately based on facts and evidence. Me knowing trayvon is a thug has no bearing on the court case, but certainly does have bearing in this discussion. This isn't a courtroom FYI.

Having solid evidence is one thing. Making shit up, my opinion of you stands.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Truly none of the 'zimmerman supporters' have said they flat out think zimmerman is innocent, only that the evidence we have been presented shows NOTHING to point towards anyone being guilty of anything other than trayvon.

This is what both sides wanted, which was the ability to get all the details. It will certainly be an interesting case!

That is a ghetto stomping lie.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't think he was just out to kill a black person. He did however have suspicion that was based on the kid being black. I think the bigger part of the race issue lies w\ the police though.

From all accounts, it seems they pretty much just took the killers word for everything despite his criminal background w\ the felony assault on a police officer and domestic violence reports.

They saw a young black kid and took the killers word for it because just like him they were also seeing his skin color and believing he was capable of anything.

They didn't seem concerned with finding out that the kid lived right down the walk way from where he was killed or that the killer lived on the complete other side of the neighborhood. They didn't know any of that before they released the killer having taken his word for it and not waiting to investigate.

Look at some of the posters in this thread who have said things like people like trayvon should be wiped out... You see what we're dealing with here. It's 100% a racially charged case. Alot of the pro zimmerman people share this sentiment and that my friends, is racist.
About how I see it. I don't think Zimmerman is a racist, but I doubt he would have been as suspicious or reacted as strongly had Martin been white, or for that matter a black kid in khakis, Nike windbreaker and one of those lizard shirts. I had the same thoughts about the initial police department investigations as well, but I've returned to neutral on that because of the extremely biased reportage and because my experience with law enforcement is small town, where generally everyone knows everyone else, and because Jstern spoke well of Bill Lee.

As far as claims that Zimmerman can and perhaps will become rich suing Martin's families, they could claim Zimmerman is a three-headed space demon sent here to harvest black kids' souls and there isn't a jury in the country that would make such awards. I don't think Zimmerman would do such a thing, but even if he did it likely wouldn't get past summary judgment.

One thing I've learned from this case is that hoodies are considered a crime uniform of sorts. As an old white guy too fat to be a meth head I'm safe, but it makes me worry about my grandson.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
OK, class, can we say sacrificial lamb?

Zimmerman was listed as a white-hispanic. Being white he is guilty.

Case closed.

Looks like the case is still open to me, and you discredited any charges without knowing all the evidence says more about your position than anything.

...............................................................................................................

1. Re-distribution of wealth.

2. Racism.

Looks like the case is still open to me, and you discredited any charges without knowing all the evidence says more about your position than anything.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Hold on to your horses, the reports are saying SA Corey has made a decision whether to charge not that she's charging GZ.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zim...martin-killing/story?id=16115469#.T4XOkpLO-So

A decision on whether to charge Florida neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman with the shooting death of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin has been made, sources told ABC News.

The decision by Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey is expected to be announced at a 6 p.m. news conference in Jacksonville, Fla.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
and it begins, at least your intellectually honest with your feelings.

I think they have evidence you dont know about, whether with your bias you will be willing to consider it is another story.

If they charge him I think its because they have evidence that indicates he commited a crime.

First of all, with all this "it begins" stuff, don't do too much back-patting just yet. It was a very, very obvious thing for us to say because it doesn't appear there's any good reason to charge him. Sure, that may prove to be untrue once we know more. But, keep in mind, the initial finding of the police, and the first prosecutor was that charging him was the wrong move. That they could not legally do it. So, how can drawing the conclusion that a different prosecutor being brought in after a huge, misinformed national media lynch-storm focused on the case... coming to the opposite conclusion, isn't a case of bowing to public pressure? Very, very rational way to view it.

And as for whether I'll be "willing to consider" evidence that disproves the way I currently view this case? Hey I've already proven I can do that. I started out viewing this case as "Zimmerman is clearly a racist, murderous wannabe cop... and the SPD are clearly racists who swept this under the rug." That's the page I started out on with all of this, back in early March. I've already shown I have the ability to completely rewrite my narrative and understanding of this case, based on evidence coming out. So that ability on my part is not in question.

I'll do it again if the evidence warrants it, rest assured.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Hold on to your horses, the reports are saying SA Corey has made a decision whether to charge not that she's charging GZ.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zim...martin-killing/story?id=16115469#.T4XOkpLO-So

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...fficial-says/2012/04/11/gIQAHJ5oAT_story.html

Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey plans to announce as early as Wednesday afternoon that she is charging neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the shooting of Trayvon Martin, according to a law enforcement official close to the investigation.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
First of all, with all this "it begins" stuff, don't do too much back-patting just yet. It was a very, very obvious thing for us to say because it doesn't appear there's any good reason to charge him. Sure, that may prove to be untrue once we know more. But, keep in mind, the initial finding of the police, and the first prosecutor was that charging him was the wrong move. That they could not legally do it. So, how can drawing the conclusion that a different prosecutor being brought in after a huge, misinformed national media lynch-storm focused on the case... coming to the opposite conclusion, isn't a case of bowing to public pressure? Very, very rational way to view it.

And as for whether I'll be "willing to consider" evidence that disproves the way I currently view this case? Hey I've already proven I can do that. I started out viewing this case as "Zimmerman is clearly a racist, murderous wannabe cop... and the SPD are clearly racists who swept this under the rug." That's the page I started out on with all of this, back in early March. I've already shown I have the ability to completely rewrite my narrative and understanding of this case, based on evidence coming out. So that ability on my part is not in question.

I'll do it again if the evidence warrants it, rest assured.

Thats good to hear and not what I got from your intial post.

I agree and admit that from what we know it seems there is a lack of evidence, thats why i think if he is charged it is because they know something we dont.

I suspect they are getting him on negligence and have evidence to support that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Smart move. She's doing it after COB so the riots won't affect business or working people.

Why would there be riots? she will be charging him, of course you'll say it was because of fear of riots. But Georgie's at least going to have to go to trial for this, which is all I've ever wanted.

Damn there actually is justice in this country.

Actually though I'm not so sure the white people won't riot when their uber hero who slayed the vicious thug is charged. hummm

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
You know what's deeply unfair about this press conference timing? I have to go back to work at 5pm eastern (I'm actually in Washington state) and I expect to be there until 7pm eastern.

This sucks. I wanted to be part of that initial 6pm message board riot, it also sucks that i don't have cable tv. Or tv at all... I know there will be some live streams but... damn it I'm going to miss that initial going nuts phase.

Can you all do me a favor and sustain the going nuts thing for like 1.5 hours til I can join? :)

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
I just find the whole 72hr prior notice of a press conference to be strange. Would anyone care to make a guess as to what the possible charge could be? I'm mainly curious to know whats the least and worst he is likely to be charged with.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Wonder if police know where Z is? He was under no legal obligation to even stay in the country.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I just find the whole 72hr prior notice of a press conference to be strange. Would anyone care to make a guess as to what the possible charge could be? I'm mainly curious to know whats the least and worst he is likely to be charged with.

Manslaughter or Negligent Homicide most likely. Worst case for Zimmerman would be Murder 2.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
If he's charged with anything ti would most likely be negligent homicide/manslaughter...I still don't see it happening though...but I've been wrong LOTS of times;)