Unarmed black 17 year old shot by Neighborhood watch captain in gated community...

Page 1794 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
You have GZ caught on tape acknowledging that the dispatchers stated there was "no need for him to do that any more".

Ws that an acknowledgment of the advise itself or that he was going to follow the advise. There is also no synchronization of where Zimmerman physically was when that exchange happened. East, West or on the T itself.

What do the NW guidelines state that he should do? I always thought to observe and report - do you have anything else on the guidelines?

And how do you KNOW what GZ was thinking in the back of his mind w/ respect to the NW guidelines.

Where was Zimmerman? what... 5 seconds from his car? And then he chose not to return to his car because apparently he was under the mistaken impression that he himself was a police officer or something.

He was seriously mistaken.

The TM crowd has yet to show that he did not follow such.
they also seem to not comprehend that there is a synchronization missing of where the exchange with the dispatcher happened and what the meaning of OK was.

You seem to not realize what even happened with that exchange.

The operator takes a second to process that the guy he's got on the line has just left his vehicle which he knows is both not needed, and also a horrible judgement call. The operator would therefore assume that ( and this all relies on zimmerman being of sound mind ) he will return to his car... and not continue to follow after Trayvon.

The operator simply didn't know they were dealing w\ a mentally unstable, gun toting loser who in his mind had created a scenario where he was chasing some asshole who he thought to be another person entirely.

All of this goes back to GZ jumping to conclusions because trayvon was black like the black suspects that'd victimized people in the area.

there is both Zimmerman's statements and potentially DeeDee statements that invalidate that statement

As I just told spidey's dumb ass... pulling the dee dee card in zimmerman's defense is a double edged sword. Dee Dee describes a totally different scenario than Zimmerman. So if Dee Dee is in fact a reliable witness, then Zimmerman gave a false police report ( is that a felony given that it's a murder? ) and therefore would himself be considered an unreliable witness.

So, go nuts.

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You guys are hilarious... You don't want to have neighborhood watch keep an eye on you from a distance, then don't go around peering into garages and "casing" houses.

This is the same thug caught with thousands of dollars worth of gold and diamond jewelry along with burglary equipment.

I can't believe you are still in here acting like trayvon is some cherub martyr. He's a common drug dealing street thug.

GZ is damn lucky Martin wasn't a "real" thug". If TM had been a real thug GZ would have been dead before he got out of his truck.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
In the call, zimmerman says he will wait for police and to call him so he can provide a location and/or address. That answers "what the hell was he doing not cowering in his car from the black man who was doing nothing wrong!!!"

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I'm still waiting for the proof as what you claim to be evidence/proof is nothing but opinion.

Are you stupid londo?

Go read my post again.

I even put a block of text at the bottom to reply to replies like yours in advance since I can see non reading dumb asses like you coming from a mile away.

Do I really have to give elementary school english lessons in here again?

My god... it's really the small things that are most enjoyable... like somebody like you pretending you know anything but then proving you can't even fucking read.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
tumblr_lhi2hmRKvo1qc6xnl.gif

sxsgk.gif

Done with you for the day too Londo. I don't have time to teach you how to read.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Are you stupid londo?

Go read my post again.

I even put a block of text at the bottom to reply to replies like yours in advance since I can see non reading dumb asses like you coming from a mile away.

Do I really have to give elementary school english lessons in here again?

My god... it's really the small things that are most enjoyable... like somebody like you pretending you know anything but then proving you can't even fucking read.

I've read your posts, you have yet to provide any proof just opinion. Don't reply until you have verifiable proof that definitively connects to dots as to what occurred.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
In the call, zimmerman says he will wait for police and to call him so he can provide a location and/or address. That answers "what the hell was he doing not cowering in his car from the black man who was doing nothing wrong!!!"

Which indicates he had no intention of returning to his car, which means that he was DING DING DING still following, chasing, looking for trayvon.

Done with you for the day as well.

Can only own you so many times in one sitting.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I've read your posts, you have yet to provide any proof just opinion. Don't reply until you have verifiable proof that definitively connects to dots as to what occurred.

Oh for fuck sake.

The only part that could be remotely considered opinion is my saying that it's more likely the event started w\ Zimmerman trying to detain him.

Of course I say LIKELY because I don't know what happened, just like you don't know what happened. Difference here is that I don't pretend to know what happened.

HOWEVER, There's a mountain of evidence showing GZ's irrational thinking and poor decision making leading up to the altercation.

He left his car to make sure that asshole wasn't going to get away.

Trayvon... you have nothing. You have a statement from dee dee where maybe he was going back... but then you also have dee dee describing events different from Zimmerman.

So that would mean Zimmerman lied to police and gave a false statement to boot.

Pick your poison, bitch.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Oh for fuck sake.

The only part that could be remotely considered opinion is my saying that it's more likely the event started w\ Zimmerman trying to detain him.

Of course I say LIKELY because I don't know what happened, just like you don't know what happened. Difference here is that I don't pretend to know what happened.

HOWEVER, There's a mountain of evidence showing GZ's irrational thinking and poor decision making leading up to the altercation.

He left his car to make sure that asshole wasn't going to get away.

Trayvon... you have nothing. You have a statement from dee dee where maybe he was going back... but then you also have dee dee describing events different from Zimmerman.

So that would mean Zimmerman lied to police and gave a false statement to boot.

Pick your poison, bitch.

More opinions without a shred of proof.

Here's some facts for you

Fact - The prosecution can't prove if GZ continued to follow TM

Fact - The prosecution can't prove who started the physical altercation.

Fact - GZ had head injuries

Fact - TM had a small cut on one knuckle

Fact - Two witnesses place TM on top of GZ just prior to the shot

Fact - Ballistics data shows TM was on top of GZ when the shot was fired

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think both GZ and TM made rash decisions. In fact, TM was probably first. I say this because:
-He entered this Retreat view complex which clearly had signs stating it was a neighborhood watch community (tells a person its likely residents maybe "looking out" for each other)
- he was wandering around on the lawns of these townhouses during a rainy/windy evening (possibly staring at houses) with his hand in his waistband ..instead of walking down the sidewalk or street
-even though he had every right to be there as he was invited to stay at Brandi Greens place, TM should have known he would be viewed as a stranger to the residents there and this type of behavior would be viewed as suspicious.

I don't think those are things are prudent person does.
While in hindsight (especially to grown up white people) those were not wise things to do, to a teenager none of that would seem suspicious. When you're talking to someone on the phone, you naturally look around without necessarily paying any attention to what's around you; this might look like casing houses, but in hindsight doesn't seem particularly suspicious, nor would it have seemed so to Martin. Wearing a hoodie with the hood up seems suspicious to us, but it's practically a uniform to urban teenagers, especially black teenagers, who want that gangsta look. That doesn't necessarily correlate with being a thug, it's just the look that is currently cool, and in any case if one is outside in drizzling rain then wearing your hood up only makes sense. I'd bet the whitest old man (which might well be me LOL) puts his hood up in the rain or cold, if he has one. And from Martin's point of view, the Neighborhood Watch is there to protect him, not to hassle him. (That's assuming he's not a criminal obviously, but given that there seems to be no available hard evidence otherwise and the kid is unable to defend himself due to being dead, basic human decency argues for giving him the benefit of the doubt.)

Yes, you decided to add a phrase that is not corroborated. And you decided to give that compression more meaning. If that is what you decide to then than fine. But it isn't fact that that's a key phrase.
That Martin was attacking Zimmerman at the time he was shot seems amply corroborated to me. One can certain argue the severity of the beating, or whether Martin's actions were unreasonable given what he knew at the time, or whether Zimmerman should have shot him, but that Martin was on top of Zimmerman and attacking him in some fashion at the moment of the shooting seems pretty well established. Given that the shot occurs during the screaming and is consistent with a near-contact shot at an angle consistent with the shot person above a prone shooter at an angle, I'm not sure how anyone could come to any other conclusion. And there is certainly no evidence to support any other conclusion. At most, one could argue that there is a lack of evidence for a sustained, brutal beating, but given that Zimmerman's statement was that Martin was beating Zimmerman's head against the ground there wouldn't have to be other significant facial damage to support that claim.

Problem with this is that you still don't know how the physical altercation started. We KNOW Zimmerman was going after Trayvon. We don't KNOW that trayvon waited, hid, ambushed, etc... that's speculation at this point.

We do however KNOW for a fact that Zimmerman initiated all of the events.

We KNOW he KNEW better than to leave the safety of his car to chase after somebody w\ police en route. We KNOW he didn't return to his car when the operator told him they didn't need him to follow.

And I assume since you pretend this John charactor had some kind of world shaking authority that surely the liason with the police force must then have much greater authority than john.

This is the problem w\ all of the pro zimmerman talk.

You're saying all of this stuff about trayvon... he should have stopped when JOHN OMFG IT"S FUCKING JOHN!!! when JOHN pokes his head out and says he's going to call police.

Well that's nice and all...> But maybe, just maybe George Zimmerman should have gone back to his FUCKING car when the operator made it clear they didn't need him to be doing what he was doing.

You show me one bit of solid evidence Trayvon was going after Zimmerman... please. I'll be waiting for you to produce that.

While we wait, just realize we already have documented proof that Zimmerman was going after Trayvon. Period. End of discussion....
One key thing here: Zimmerman was doing something perfectly legal and (he thought) helpful for his community. We know his profile of Martin was wrong, but everything Zimmerman did up until the part we can't see was perfectly legal and even sensible, if one cares about one's community. By contrast, Martin's assault, no matter how reasonable a response given what we know or surmise he knew, is not something allowed by law or society. Everything other than the assault, on both parts, is perfectly legal. Martin had no legal obligation to flee back into his home; Zimmerman had no legal obligation to flee back into his truck. We simply cannot as a society abandon the freedom of outdoors to predators - and given what each knew at the time, that applies equally to Martin and to Zimmerman. Martin saw a suspicious adult man following him around; Zimmerman was acting reasonably as a concerned citizen, but as Martin knew he'd done nothing wrong he had no way to know that. Zimmerman saw a young man dressed and behaving exactly like those young men who repeatedly robbed his neighbors; Martin was an innocent teenager just walking around to have some privacy for a phone call, but Zimmerman had no way to know that. Both made some foolish decisions, but neither had any legal or moral responsibility to flee to safety.

And while I can GUESS a way in which Zimmerman might have initiated the physical confrontation (by attempting to detain Martin, which to Martin certainly would have not have seemed like a reasonable action), I have no EVIDENCE that this happened. See the difference? And I'm not at all sure it has any bearing on the prosecution in any event. There is (and should be) no requirement to take a violent beating.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You have GZ caught on tape acknowledging that the dispatchers stated there was "no need for him to do that any more".

Ws that an acknowledgment of the advise itself or that he was going to follow the advise. There is also no synchronization of where Zimmerman physically was when that exchange happened. East, West or on the T itself.

What do the NW guidelines state that he should do? I always thought to observe and report - do you have anything else on the guidelines?

The TM crowd has yet to show that he did not follow such.
they also seem to not comprehend that there is a synchronization missing of where the exchange with the dispatcher happened and what the meaning of OK was.

And how do you KNOW what GZ was thinking in the back of his mind w/ respect to the NW guidelines.

From the other forum:
DAPUNISHER said:
Z was the one that contacted Wendy Dorival about forming a neighborhood watch. At the meeting the other residents appointed him coordinator. Now, according to Wendy -
Quote:
She set up a visit for the next month at the Retreat at Twin Lakes, a gated community that had been dealing with a string of burglaries. When 25 residents showed up, a decent turnout, she had the residents introduce themselves; after all, people join the groups to look out for each other. She then gave a PowerPoint presentation and distributed a handbook. As she always does, she emphasized what a neighborhood watch is — and what it is not.

In every presentation, “I go through what the rules and responsibilities are,” she said Thursday. The volunteers’ role, she said, is “being the eyes and ears” for the police, “not the vigilante.” Members of a neighborhood watch “are not supposed to confront anyone,” she said. “We get paid to get into harm’s way. You don’t do that. You just call them from the safety of your home or your vehicle.” Using a gun in the neighborhood watch role would be out of the question, she said in an interview.

Mr. Zimmerman was there, she recalled, and the local group appointed him their coordinator.

How many things did GZ (who was studying law enforcement at the time and therefore should have known better than the average citizen) do wrong that night?

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
DeeDee saying martin was back near the home. Witness zimmerman sworn account of events that martin came back to confront. Witness saying seeing somebody running from south to north of the T intersection (this is martin preparing for his forcible felony beatdown).

This is real evidence with nothing to the contrary. That make is FACT that martin came back to confront zimmerman and begin his vicious and brutal felony assault and battery. This is confirmed by all evidence with nothing to refute this FACT.

With all this evidence everything lines up so perfectly and proves self defense, with ZERO evidence it wasn't self defense. ALL evidence actually proves self defense. Every single bit of it.

So, now DeeDee is a credible witness? You can't have it both ways...

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Until you have been victimized by crime in your neighborhood or in or near your own house, you have no idea how protective you become.

You distrust anyone you don't know.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Until you have been victimized by crime in your neighborhood or in or near your own house, you have no idea how protective you become.

You distrust anyone you don't know.

It only serves to reinforce the fact that GZ knew better than to go after Trayvon and to show that he was simply not thinking rationally in any of his decisions.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
More opinions without a shred of proof.

Here's some facts for you

Fact - The prosecution can't prove if GZ continued to follow TM (at the time, they may have more proof now)

Fact - The prosecution can't prove who started the physical altercation. (Neither can the defense)

Fact - GZ had head injuries

Fact - TM had a small cut on one knuckle (And no DNA from GZ on his hands ,nor under his fingernails)

Fact - Two witnesses place TM on top of GZ just prior to the shot

Fact - Ballistics data shows TM was on top of GZ when the shot was fired( correction, it shows TM was above GZ, it does not give the actual location of the body, just the angle)

reply above...

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
DeeDee saying martin was back near the home. Witness zimmerman sworn account of events that martin came back to confront. Witness saying seeing somebody running from south to north of the T intersection (this is martin preparing for his forcible felony beatdown).

This is real evidence with nothing to the contrary. That make is FACT that martin came back to confront zimmerman and begin his vicious and brutal felony assault and battery. This is confirmed by all evidence with nothing to refute this FACT.

With all this evidence everything lines up so perfectly and proves self defense, with ZERO evidence it wasn't self defense. ALL evidence actually proves self defense. Every single bit of it.

Dee Dee says nothing about any vicous, brutal assault.

She says Trayvon asks somebody why they're following him, to which he gets a reply in an angry tone saying " What are you doing around here?"

She then thinks she hears what sounds like " Get off, Get off ".

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The magnitude of the rash decisions are not equal. Hence the false equivalence. I assume you wanted to derive a point from that statement that's why you wanted to say they both made these rash decisions.
True, but it goes back and forth. Martin's decision to attack Zimmerman was as rash as anything Zimmerman did.

Unlike many of you I read all the documents in this case. Per the FBI investigation, people in the complex stated That GZ would PATROL the neighborhood with his head lights off. It's an easy inference to make that he did the same thing that night. Also someone did a headlight analysis and you can see that his truck is parked with the headlights off.

I remember why I haven't been here this long. It's the same rehashed arguments with people who still haven't read the documents.

It wasn't stupid of you to leave ur car with a loaded gun in a cold rainy night and skip after someone? Stop saying dumb things.

You keep slipping in this legalize talk and you sound quite ridiculous doing so. Also you keep phrasing things like GZ (a known liar) is being 100% accurate in the iteration of his story you like the best.

What amazes me is that any reasonable person still believes GZ went to reach for his cell phone. My gosh. That's the most unreasonable thing to believe. HE HAD A GUN!!! Oh yeah right he was going to call police which would have accomplished what exactly? Yeah, let them know the location of the guy who was just about to bash ur brains in. lol..
It's perfectly reasonable to assume that Zimmerman reached for his cell phone, to tell the police he had the suspect located. Having a suspect a gunpoint is highly frowned upon, compared to having a suspect confronted or even held. A CC permit holder is NOT allowed to hold someone at gunpoint just because he finds them suspicious, as Zimmerman surely knows.

What amazes me is that noone here can explain why TM, who by all accounts was not a violent person just all of a sudden attacks someone. What was his motivation?

That is the racism in which you all live. That at the core black people are violent no good animals just waiting to pounce on the unexpected innocence.
Three reasonable guesses here. First, he's just fed up with Zimmerman, who chased him off the street and now comes face to face with him yet again, when all he (Martin) wants is to not be hassled. Zimmerman is disrespecting him and won't go away, so he attacks. Second, Zimmerman reaches for his cell phone. Martin, who knows nothing about Neighborhood Watch or the police being minutes away, might well assume Zimmerman is reaching for a gun or knife and decide he has a better chance of survival by pre-emptively beating him down than by running. There's only a split second to make a fight-or-flight decision. Third, Zimmerman may well have grabbed Martin's arm to detain him for the police. Again, Martin - knowing nothing about Neighborhood Watch or the police being minutes away - sees this not as a concerned citizen detaining a suspicious character, but as a suspicious character suddenly having physical control of him, control which he does not want Zimmerman to have and is willing to resort to violence to break.

Note that none of these three guesses require Martin to be a violent person or black, just an average teenage boy acting on what he knew at the time as seen through the prism of being an average teenage boy. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of us growing up have done things just as rash and ill-advised, but which seemed perfectly reasonable responses at the time. Who among us as a teenager hasn't punched someone who was very surprised, or been punched and been very surprised that it escalated into violence? It's not at all uncommon for levels of aggression and intent to be widely different between two parties, and that's assuming two teenagers with essentially the same background and societal expectations. Here we have two young men more than a decade apart; societal expectations and nonverbal cues are both very different between seventeen and twenty-eight.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
From the other forum:

Quote:

How many things did GZ (who was studying law enforcement at the time and therefore should have known better than the average citizen) do wrong that night?
It's worth pointing out that from Zimmerman's statement he had no intention of confronting anyone, merely keeping the suspicious character in sight until the police appeared. Nor had he any intention of using his gun. It's worth pointing out that Zimmerman is not a disinterested party and, being suddenly attacked, his perception of events may not be completely trustworthy. But nothing in this encounter is inherently out of character for a responsible citizen, albeit one who could and should have used better judgment.

EDIT: As to what he did wrong, lots. He incorrectly profiled Martin as a potential burglar or home invader. He failed to keep himself in an area where a confrontation could be avoided, although whether he initiated a confrontation depends on who one believes. And when confronted, he acts in belligerence, fueling rather than defusing the situation.

Last edited:

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
True, but it goes back and forth. Martin's decision to attack Zimmerman was as rash as anything Zimmerman did.
As this statement is worded, it's inaccurate. There's no evidence Trayvon " Attacked " Zimmerman.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that Zimmerman reached for his cell phone, to tell the police he had the suspect located. Having a suspect a gunpoint is highly frowned upon, compared to having a suspect confronted or even held. A CC permit holder is NOT allowed to hold someone at gunpoint just because he finds them suspicious, as Zimmerman surely knows.

GZ also knew he was supposed to be remaining in his car, or bumping it on down the road. He wasn't thinking rationally and in fact was under the impression he was going after somebody other than Trayvon. The primary similarity being they were both black.

Three reasonable guesses here. First, he's just fed up with Zimmerman, who chased him off the street and now comes face to face with him yet again, when all he (Martin) wants is to not be hassled. Zimmerman is disrespecting him and won't go away, so he attacks. Second, Zimmerman reaches for his cell phone. Martin, who knows nothing about Neighborhood Watch or the police being minutes away, might well assume Zimmerman is reaching for a gun or knife and decide he has a better chance of survival by pre-emptively beating him down than by running. There's only a split second to make a fight-or-flight decision. Third, Zimmerman may well have grabbed Martin's arm to detain him for the police. Again, Martin - knowing nothing about Neighborhood Watch or the police being minutes away - sees this not as a concerned citizen detaining a suspicious character, but as a suspicious character suddenly having physical control of him, control which he does not want Zimmerman to have and is willing to resort to violence to break.

Well said.

Given Zimmerman's previous comments of " These assholes always get away " & Fucking punks " and the fact that he didn't return to his vehicle after the operator told him they didn't need him to follow and Dee Dee's account of events, leads me to believe that it's more likely Zimmerman did exactly what he left his car to do, and that was to make sure that asshole didn't get away.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
It's worth pointing out that from Zimmerman's statement he had no intention of confronting anyone, merely keeping the suspicious character in sight until the police appeared. Nor had he any intention of using his gun. It's worth pointing out that Zimmerman is not a disinterested party and, being suddenly attacked, his perception of events may not be completely trustworthy. But nothing in this encounter is inherently out of character for a responsible citizen, albeit one who could and should have used better judgment.

But it is out of character for someone studying criminal law, volunteers for NW duty, and KNEW the proper guidelines.

And, with all the lies GZ has made, taking his "word" for the events is not logical, wouldn't a person in this situation, say anything to make their "case" sound proper, especially since they KNOW the law (since they're currently studying it)?

Members of a neighborhood watch “are not supposed to confront anyone,” she said. “We get paid to get into harm’s way. You don’t do that. You just call them from the safety of your home or your vehicle.” Using a gun in the neighborhood watch role would be out of the question

Last edited: