Unarmed black 17 year old shot by Neighborhood watch captain in gated community...

Page 1498 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Not really, you're estimating everything, while I'm limited to estimating only a portion of the distance. Either way, it's impossible to match the distances recorded in the police report to the location you would have to use to get 40 feet via google maps.

I did a little pseudo scientific research.

I used google maps to measure a couple of pro football fields. Gillette Stadium, where the Jets play and the U of Florida stadium(Ben Hill Griffin Stadium). If i measure the whole football field I get a consistant calculation of around 92 meters (100yards) for all three. So google maps seems to be suprising accurate on the distance of 100 yards. If I measure just between two 10yard markers (say the goal line to the 10 yard line). I get a value of around 9.2 meters or 10 yards. Which again is surprsingly accruate for distances around 10 yards.

Again google maps returns around 40 ft from the T to the first white patio fence.

Try it yourself.

Last edited:

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I had an interesting experience while playng an online game. And it reminded of a conversations re: racism being almost non existant in our society.

Did this conversation occur in this thread? Has someone claimed that racism is "almost non existent in our society" in this thread?

I play a game online. When I signed up, your default avatar is a generic white female (the default avatar changes depending when you sign up). You can change it yourself later.

I couldnt be bothered so I kept it for about 3 months. I've had good games. Two nights ago I decided to change the avatar to be representative of what I look like. The first night someone called me a monkey and the 2nd someone said they were just racist and so wouldn't let me win. Mind you my persona(the one you see here) hadn't changed at all. I have been debating whether I should change it back so I can just play without the drama. Haven't decided yet.

I don't think the behavior of anonymous members of an online game (especially a competitive one) accurately reflect anything really. Some people apparently live to be the heel character, especially when it comes to online games. They will say anything and everything to offend, or anger those just trying to have a good time. If you resemble a black guy, they'll call you the N word, if that's not present, they'll probably call you a lovely human. Racism isn't what people say, anyway, it's how people think. You can be a white guy and call a black guy a "Ni__er", and not necessarily be racist. Sometimes people say things just because they want to verbally assault someone else, perhaps because they feel threatened, or that they first were assaulted. Sometimes these people say anything they feel will get under the other person's skin, or "hurt" them, or their feelings, anyway.

What about a present-day, 75 year-old white guy living in Virginia, that has a farm, that has a number of black men working for him, but he doesn't trust them because they're black, and thinks they're dumb, because they're black, but never ever says the 'N' word, or anything derogatory about them? Is he not a racist? It's thoughts that make someone a racist. Sometimes those thoughts turn into racist actions, but you can say hurtful, racial, gender-based, sexuality-based, or other types of insults, and that not necessarily be a reflection of what you believe, when you're only saying such things to anger/hurt whoever the target(s) is of your insults.

Chris Rock had a stand-up bit where he talked about Black folks (not sure exactly his word choice) and "Ni__ers". He wasn't being racist with what he was saying, he was just using that term to differentiate a class of people within a race, or really just to speak poorly of a certain type of individual within a race.

Anyhow, it got me to thinking of a challenge. For anyone who doubts racism is still alive, I challenge you to change the avatar on a game you play regularly to a black person. Play with new people with the chat function on. Keep it like that for a couple of months. And see the responses you get.

Who is denying that racism exists? Racism will always exist. People will always attribute undesirable behaviors to factors that differentiate themselves (skin color, country of origin, language spoken, gender, sexuality, etc.) from those exhibiting such behavior. I think it's a natural human defense mechanism (at it's core). Some will certainly have an exaggerated focus on these differences (KKK, New Black Panthers, Skinheads, etc.) than others though, which will account for what is generally thought of as "racism" these days.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Did this conversation occur in this thread? Has someone claimed that racism is "almost non existent in our society" in this thread?

Who is denying that racism exists?

While the story is a little suspect if it is true you're missing the key point there, I bolded it above...if it happened it's such an anomaly to be pretty much unheard of by almost anyone ever anymore. Yet there are way too many minorities that contend this happens everyday everywhere all over the country, when in reality it is a perception they hold and "see" racism when in reality it's just an obscurity that is almost non-existent in modern times. Of course it does still happen but not at the paranoia inducing levels so many want to insist it does...so many here want to insist it's the gun owners that are "paranoid" and yet ignore the extreme paranoia coming from minorities (and others) seeing racism in every shadow of every street corner.

Agreed. It is highly unusual for whites to display outright, aggressive racism anymore. Not denying that there is a lot that goes unseen or spoken in white-only environments... but even that is getting pretty rare.

How many times per day in this country do you think a group of black people, in public, intimidate and mock and yell at a white person or persons with shouts of shit like "cracka ass bitch" etc vs. how many times per day does the reverse with the "N" word go down?

Again, I have alawys tried to find a way for people to proverbially "walk in the shoes" of blacks. And I think my challenge may give a little snippet. I again challenge anyone to do that especailly in a competive game. I think competition and anger bring out your true feelings.

Last edited:

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I look at jking and tasha purely as amusement.. I don't think anybody takes them seriously at this point. I enjoy the ridiculousness :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's funny, while you aren't amusing you fall into that category, in that your posts are ridiculous.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
I actually did a little pseudo scientific research.

I used google maps to measure a couple of pro football fields. Gillette Stadium, where the Jets play and the U of Florida stadium(Ben Hill Griffin Stadium). If i measure the whole football field I get a consistant calculation of around 92 meters (100yards) for all three. So google maps seems to be suprising accurate on the distance of 100 yards. If I measure just between two 10yard markers (say the goal line to the 10 yard line). I get a value of around 9.2 meters or 10 yards. Which again is surprsingly accruate for distances around 10 yards.

Again google maps returns around 40 ft from the T to the first white patio fence.

Try it yourself.

Again, if you place TM's body even with the white fence to get your suggested distance of 40 feet south of the sidewalk, it's impossible to match that location with 39.10 from pillar A and 37.1 from Pillar B as listed in the police report.

From the police report we know the fence is 22 feet from Pillar A and 11.2 from Pillar B based on the location of the first aid kit which was sitting right next to the white fence separating the apartments.
http://media2.abcactionnews.com//photo/2012/05/17/DSC_0025_20120517180401_640_480.JPG

Not that I think the difference of 6-7 feet matter all that much but it's simply impossible TM body was even with the white fence, it had to be several feet north of where you're suggesting it was. I tried several measurements in google maps based on measurements from the police report. Due to slight inaccuracies in placing markers for the pillars and matching the distance from the pillars to the body, the distance south of the sidewalk varied between 32.4 - 33.8.
Here is one for an example.
2z4ldvo.jpg

2qm3p5h.jpg

1zlqadw.jpg

Did you notice how far north of the fence the body had to be located to match the police report? Slightly more than 6 feet in this example.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Again, if you place TM's body even with the white fence to get your suggested distance of 40 feet south of the sidewalk, it's impossible to match that location with 39.10 from pillar A and 37.1 from Pillar B as listed in the police report.

From the police report we know the fence is 22 feet from Pillar A and 11.2 from Pillar B based on the location of the first aid kit which was sitting right next to the white fence separating the apartments.
http://media2.abcactionnews.com//photo/2012/05/17/DSC_0025_20120517180401_640_480.JPG

Not that I think the difference of 6-7 feet matter all that much but it's simply impossible TM body was even with the white fence, it had to be several feet north of where you're suggesting it was. I tried several measurements in google maps based on measurements from the police report. Due to slight inaccuracies in placing markers for the pillars and matching the distance from the pillars to the body, the distance south of the sidewalk varied between 32.4 - 33.8.
Here is one for an example.
2z4ldvo.jpg

2qm3p5h.jpg

1zlqadw.jpg

Did you notice how far north of the fence the body had to be located to match the police report? Slightly more than 6 feet in this example.

Look at the picture of the body. It's parralel if not beyond the first fence.

tmbody.jpg

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
I would say the same thing based on that picture but the math doesn't lie. My measurements are based on the location of his head per the police report. He was about 6 feet tall and laying at an angle with his head towards the north, which would account for some of the distance but not all. Either way he was north of the fence. If you disagree, you're arguing with the police report, not with me.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I would say the same thing based on that picture but the math doesn't lie. My measurements are based on the location of his head per the police report. He was about 6 feet tall and laying at an angle with his head towards the north, which would account for some of the distance but not all. Either way he was north of the fence. If you disagree, you're arguing with the police report, not with me.

check out this pic. The body is under the yellow drop partially obscured by a rain drop.

tmbody3.jpg

tashatexas

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2012
Yep, Emperus is right, body right at the fence, 40 feet it is. Notice Druids measurement is different by
7 feet, almost the length of TMs body.as if he was lying parallel to the sidewalk which isn't true. At any rate 7 feet doesnt matter that much.considering 33 feet is still a long way down that sidewalk for a known liar who wants.us to believe he never confronted Tray.

tashatexas

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2012
Just look at the distance from where the pic cuts off to where the body lying. That is a good ways down the sidewalk for someone who.claims he only stood at the T and never walked south of it. Kinda hard to believe TM beat him all the way down the sidewalk with only a punch to the nose which is all Zimmerman remembers. He doesn't remember any other blows and doesn't remember how he ended up on his back. But he wasn't knocked unconscious with the blow to the nose becausehe remembers everything that happened afterwards. So once again Zimmerman has convenient memory loss when its time to explain important facts.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Why does the distance even matter?

GZ wasn't supposed to be chasing after anybody under any sort of authority he believed he had or actually had as part of neighborhood watch... He called the police, and possibly gave bogus statements to them by saying it looked like he was on drugs... and then he took it upon himself to chase after a stranger in the night with no regard as to the result of his actions.

The important facts regarding the case pertain to GZ knowing he was doing something wrong in that the neighborhood guidelines explicitly say they're not to chase after people. So he left his car with that knowledge chasing after one of those " assholes that always gets away"... just some " fucking punk"... only problem was that Trayvon had done nothing wrong at that point to warrant such remarks from him or to warrant being chased down and ultimately murdered by this wife beating, police assaulting, child molesting loser.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why does the distance even matter?

GZ wasn't supposed to be chasing after anybody under any sort of authority he believed he had or actually had as part of neighborhood watch... He called the police, and possibly gave bogus statements to them by saying it looked like he was on drugs... and then he took it upon himself to chase after a stranger in the night with no regard as to the result of his actions.

The important facts regarding the case pertain to GZ knowing he was doing something wrong in that the neighborhood guidelines explicitly say they're not to chase after people. So he left his car with that knowledge chasing after one of those " assholes that always gets away"... just some " fucking punk"... only problem was that Trayvon had done nothing wrong at that point to warrant such remarks from him or to warrant being chased down and ultimately murdered by this wife beating, police assaulting, child molesting loser.

Why do the facts even matter? Y'all know he's guilty of killin that little boy!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yep, Emperus is right, body right at the fence, 40 feet it is. Notice Druids measurement is different by
7 feet, almost the length of TMs body.as if he was lying parallel to the sidewalk which isn't true. At any rate 7 feet doesnt matter that much.considering 33 feet is still a long way down that sidewalk for a known liar who wants.us to believe he never confronted Tray.

We know a confrontation occurred, DUH! That's the point of the shooting.

Apparently someone was trying to GTFO but got pinned to the ground 40 feet south, was assaulted, and shot his assailant in self defense.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Why is it that the word black is used in title . To make it a hate crime or racist . What about the 3 black college men who killed the white man . No racism there right . Not a hate crime right. Alot of unbalanced people here.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Why is it that the word black is used in title . To make it a hate crime or racist . What about the 3 black college men who killed the white man . No racism there right . Not a hate crime right. Alot of unbalanced people here.

Oh my god. You mean... black people have killed white people?! OH MY GOD, THEY'RE COMING FOR US! Everybody get out your AR-15's NOW!

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
That's because it's true. You're just too much of a coward to say it. But then again, you are a "conservative." Which, of course, means fear to move forward. To "progress."

:D Keep telling yourself that. One day you will actually believe it, too! Most others will not, but do not let that bother you.