U.S. Embassy in Cairo, Egypt has been stormed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I happen to agree in large part with his claim, but the term "link it dipshit" is still funny.

That's fine. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, even if I disagree with it.
You aren't making wild claims on how you predicted it and then not providing any proof.
You probably also have an IQ higher than a root vegetable. :)

I do apologize to Texashiker, I didn't mean to derail your thread.

Last edited:

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
There will always be some of those around. Question is do any of them how power in the government or military?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Doesn't the US Embassy have some type of military guard or presence who could have prevented the flag from being desecrated?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I'm sure that it's just a coincidence that the protest was planned, our embassy was stormed and our flag torn down on 9-11. Just a coincidence that shouldn't be mentioned.

Luckily the U.S. Embassy released this statement.
The U.S. embassy in Cairo released the following statement:

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

The statement comes after a mob of Egyptians climbed the walls of the embassy and tore down the American flag. Reuters reports:

Egyptian protesters scaled the walls of the U.S. embassy in Cairo on Tuesday and pulled down the American flag during a protest over what they said was a film being produced in the United States that insulted Prophet Mohammad, witnesses said.

In place of the U.S. flag, the protesters tried to raise a black flag with the words "There is no God but Allah and Mohammad is his messenger", a Reuters reporter said.

Once the U.S. flag was hauled down, protesters tore it up, with some showing off small pieces to television cameras. Then others burned remains.

"This movie must be banned immediately and an apology should be made ... This is a disgrace," said 19-year-old, Ismail Mahmoud, a member of the so-called "ultras" soccer supporters who played a big role in the uprising that brought down Hosni Mubarak last year.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...s-hurt-religious-feelings-muslims_652183.html

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
"Religion of Peace." Pat Condell was right in that the worshipers of Islam are so hyper-sensitive to criticism but do not care one bit about the rights of others and have no problem violating the rights of all individuals.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Looking at the photos of this pisses me off. Every one of those fucking anti-america douchbags is wearing american iconic clothing.

APTOPIX_Mideast_Egypt_US.sff_CAI113_20120911133103.jpg

Are you serious?

You must not get around much....

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
"Religion of Peace." Pat Condell was right in that the worshipers of Islam are so hyper-sensitive to criticism but do not care one bit about the rights of others and have no problem violating the rights of all individuals.

This is very true. Islam as a whole is apparently unable to take criticism of itself, while at the same time not tolerating other beliefs.

Apr 27, 2012
I happen to agree in large part with his claim, but the term "link it dipshit" is still funny.

Thank you Sir, your one of the smart ones that gets it :D

I made a bunch of threads warning about radical Islam, now here we have it but they cant accept it so they resort to name calling

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
These protestors are idiots that their country would be better off without. I'm not sure you can claim, as many in this thread are, that they represent all of Islam. For example, the fact that other Egyptians are protecting the embassy is something worth considering...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I was right all along warning about the threat of radical islam, Egypt has been hijacked by radical islamists yet people called me a racist. Idiots should hang there heads in shame

You are a parody. Everyone knows this by now. Stop taking shits here and go back to your old screen name.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Seems Egypt could start a 'attack America and burn its flag' day. Nice gesture of where they stand on Islamic terrorism.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I'm pleased that someone made the choice to fall back and not engage, the Marines don't fuck around and there could have been a hell of a lot of dead Egyptians today which probably would not have sat well in other countries where we have embassies.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Seems Egypt could start a 'attack America and burn its flag' day. Nice gesture of where they stand on Islamic terrorism.

Heh
How come when thousands of Egyptian Muslims show up as human shields to defend Coptic Christians we don't praise Islam as the Savoir religion?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Have no fear. Obama will be on TV soon to apologize to the Egyptians.

Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy," the statement said. "We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

I think the US's response was perfect.
It shows who the adult in the room is

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy," the statement said. "We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

I think the US's response was perfect.
It shows who the adult in the room is

I don't know about that, exactly. Certainly going out of your way to intentionally offend people makes you kind of a giant asshole, but attacking the US embassy because totally unrelated people didn't respect your religious beliefs is MUCH worse, IMO. I'm not going to join in the Muslim bashing bandwagon, because that's moronic, but the individual Muslims who decided storming the US embassy was an appropriate response to someone hurting their feelings are much worse people than those who did the offending in the first place.

Edit: And I'd disagree that RESPECT for religious belief is the foundation of American democracy. You certainly have the freedom to believe whatever you want, but it's only politeness that obliges me to accord your religion any respect at all.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't know about that, exactly. Certainly going out of your way to intentionally offend people makes you kind of a giant asshole, but attacking the US embassy because totally unrelated people didn't respect your religious beliefs is MUCH worse, IMO. I'm not going to join in the Muslim bashing bandwagon, because that's moronic, but the individual Muslims who decided storming the US embassy was an appropriate response to someone hurting their feelings are much worse people than those who did the offending in the first place.

Edit: And I'd disagree that RESPECT for religious belief is the foundation of American democracy. You certainly have the freedom to believe whatever you want, but it's only politeness that obliges me to accord your religion any respect at all.

Indeed. When a Quaran was burned after seeking guidance from a religious expert we had murder done to us. We apologized. That didn't sit well with a lot of us including me.

Now I'm not saying that I think the majority of Muslims are like that and I'd say that a search would prove that I haven't a grudge against those practicing the religion, nevertheless there are people who react this way and yes it happens more with Muslims. I don't recall a big stink and executions when bibles were trashed. If the Islamic world wants to be accepted by the remainder they had better find a way to deal with these kind of people.