Typically, how hard is it for a guy to get a girlfriend?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Alot of it might be how outgoing you are and luck. As long as you don't mind talking to girls, starting conversations and stuff... It'll only be a matter of time before you get lucky :)

I had only one girlfriend in high school but once i started college i became a pretty outgoing guy and have met more girls and that adds to the chances of me dating one of them. Main thing is not to be shy... start the conversation and keep it going. Ask her out and as long as she isn't seeing anyone... i'm SURE she'll be happy to date you.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Appreances do matter. If you aren't attracted to someone, you aren't really going to get to know them. Do you have some close female friends that you are attracted to? It must've happened at one time or another that after becoming friends, you were physically and emotioanlly attracted to them. I'm a strong believer that to become friends first builds healthier and stronger relationships. But good luck to you.

A simple response to why you don't have a GF could be either, your time is occupied with other matters (ATOT) or that you haven't found one you want to pursue a relationship with.

Yeah... I have been attached to girls who I was very good friends with, and most of the time it messes everything up.

frizzlefry

Golden Member
May 14, 2001

<< Yeah... I have been attached to girls who I was very good friends with, and most of the time it messes everything up. >>

How would it mes things up? I know it's a hard line to cross but if the feeling is mutual then it wouldn't weird things out. Now if on the other hand, she wasn't interested in that type of step up, then the weirdness should have gone away after a little.

Is there a friend that you think might have mutual feelings?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah... I have been attached to girls who I was very good friends with, and most of the time it messes everything up.

It messes everything up when you go for it, &amp; then one party loses interest.

Things won't go back to what they were before.

Viper GTS

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Things won't go back to what they were before.

Right on, bro.

By the way ... with this particular person, it's mainly because she has a BF, and she became aware of my interest in her, as did her BF. So she &quot;wasn't allowed&quot; to be my friend.. I was perfectly content being normal good friends with her, even though I liked her a hell of a lot. She's starting to talk to me again now though ... she apparently feels bad. Whatever..

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Apperance at our age does seem to matter. From a guy's point of view you'd prolly have more luck getting girls that I would. But the thing is you're definately trying too hard dude. You're not hideous. Anyway don't worry about it too much.. if you just keep cool and real you'll get a couple of girls here and there.

I can understand how you're prolly feeling lonely about not having a girl at your age..but from my POV i say fvck it. You're too young to get serious. Just go to parties, hook up with some girls, and have fun. Like someone said...relationships are for your 20's.

lamplighter

Apr 25, 2001
I've heard about the confidence thing a lot, but what is confidence? Being outgoing, and being able to start conversations? Or is it even being a jerk and calling the shots? Hehe, I'm confused. I am confident in my school, business, and with family and friends I know, but not with meeting new girls. I'm hoping university will force me to become better.

Urinal Mint

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2000

<< If you are trying to get a girlfriend, you will fail.

It's like holding on to sand. The harder you squeeze, the faster it flows between your fingers. Just put yourself into a position to meet girls and eventually one will appeal to you and vice versa.
>>

This is the best advice I've heard in a long, long time... and I'm going to take it for myself as well. Thanks. :)

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Do you really think you look bad? Most guys who truly think they look bad would not pose topless and submit their picture for everyone to see. I think you just want to get favorable comments from the ladies here! ;)

If you do truly think you look bad then you need glasses. You also seem to have a good physique (not that I'm gay or anything....)

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

<< I've heard about the confidence thing a lot, but what is confidence? Being outgoing, and being able to start conversations? Or is it even being a jerk and calling the shots? Hehe, I'm confused. I am confident in my school, business, and with family and friends I know, but not with meeting new girls. I'm hoping university will force me to become better. >>

Confidence, IMO, is being on good terms with yourself and knowing that you don't need anyone else to survive. Independence comes from confidence as does the ability to start conversations and calling the shots. For some reason, women pick up on confidence like bees pick up on fear. If you excrete confidence, they will notice it. It has to be REAL confidence, though. You can't fake it.

<< If you are trying to get a girlfriend, you will fail. It's like holding on to sand. The harder you squeeze, the faster it flows between your fingers. Just put yourself into a position to meet girls and eventually one will appeal to you and vice versa. >>

This couldn't be more true. I'm definately learning this more and more. I've been without a girlfriend for a long time. It took me a while to get used to be alone again. I had to regain my independence and it took a while. Now, I feel my confidence is back and I notice things. I notice girls smiling at me as I pass them in a parking lot and things like that. I feel confident in the fact that I don't NEED a girlfriend. I'm content being alone. If you have confidence you can talk about and do just about anything you want. People will trust you right off the bat, girls will like you and you'll be better off. Learn to feel comfortable in your own skin. Learn to love yourself for who you are because if you don't, no one else will. I guess that's my advice to you or anyone with the same problem. Just be yourself and be happy with yourself. People pick up on that and you'll be happier for it.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

<< You also seem to have a good physique (not that I'm gay or anything....) >>

uh huh

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
why does everyone always insist on &quot;getting&quot; a girlfriend. shoot, if you could just go out and get a girlfriend, things would be a helluva lot easier for ALL MEN. i don't really know how to explain what i think though. i believe that people just meet and develop a sort of mental/physical attraction towards someone else. i've never believed in forcing a relationship, and i think force is pretty much synonymous with &quot;get.&quot; girlfriends and boyfriends just sorta happen, if you force it, you're just going to be that much more disappointed when the situation turns around to kick you in the ass.

mosdef

Banned
May 14, 2000
I have the same problem as you. I had a GF last summer but for some reason in college I wasn't able to find a girl. I think I worry some of my friends because I don't have a gf! I'm not really stressing but it would be nice to find someone. Most of my girl friends are either too good friends so it would be weird or already have a guy.

-mosdef

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
It's not difficult at all. Most of the people I know that are having trouble finding someone to date are having the problem because they are too chickenshizt to talk to a girl. Get some self confidence, find a girl you're interested in, GO FOR IT! Just try to avoid talking about the AT forums, overclocking, Radeon v. Geforce, Intel v. AMD, and if you happen to have sabre toothed crotch crikets or some other little critters crawling around in your nether regions don't mention those either.

The key is to grow a pair and just go for it.

Good luck.

TripleJ

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
Don't tense up too much buddy. ;)

It's your overall aura that counts. You just need to be open and friendly so that girls will feel a bit easier talking to you. If you aren't open, they themselves will feel a bit shy to talk to you. Once you find that way of composing yourself, there's no turning back.

I know a girl that is average looking, and she doesn't often get asked out by strangers. But on one particular day, when her nephew was born, she was really happy and overwhelmed with joy. On this day, she got asked out by 6 guys!

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< It really depends on the girl. Some girls (very shallow ones) are really big on looks but you are good looking so I am not sure what is going on with you. >>

Riiight, it's ok for guys to go for girls based on looks, but not the other way around.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
For all you know, there are probably a couple of girls who have a crush on you right now, but both of you are too shy to do anything about it.

bigredguy

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2001
just wanna say the school i graduated from had a 2-1 ratio of guys to girls, and a lot of girls like much older guys, you do the math.

polm

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
Soybmob is right about dating casual friends. It is much easire for both the girl and guy if you are already comfprtable with the person. Asking out a girl you just met, and havent ever talked too that much seems to lead to awkwardness, especially on the first date. But for some poeple it is tough, because they are not exposed to women in their particular surroinding. I dont work with any girls my age (or even close to my age). I also dont go to school. And my close friends are in relationshipd and dont mingle with single women. For me it is really tough to make causual girl friends. I am about to ask a girl out that I have only met twice. I would love to hang out with her as frinds for a little longer, but there is no opportunity. Im gonna have to ask her on that dreaded 'first date'.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Guys don't get girlfriends. Girls get boyfriends. There's an important difference. Women have all the power in dating.

HansHurt

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
<<What can I say, you don't have a CD to showcase

ahh yea, who can resist?>>

WOW, Deeko...I never realized you were such a babe....drop me a PM please......Ahhh - ooOOO - GA! Boing!

HAHA! Please don't....please!

Remedy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
Boberfett, that is so true. So am i doing the wrong thing by catching the bus to work and sitting there quiet and just taking it spontaneously,(sp?) to meet someone? I notice when i goto work in the morning on the bus and train, from the corner of my eye certain females are looking at me and then they turn their head the other way until go back to looking at my blind side again, then they go back to looking at me. How am i supposed to handle that situation? or is it not meant to be handled, but just a sign that someone is interested but now is not the time to approach them?

tkim

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2000
girls are whack!!! stay single and wait for the right one.....

are you saying all this cause you just want to get some??