Typically, how hard is it for a guy to get a girlfriend?

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
And how much does appearance matter? I haven't had the greatest of luck, but then again maybe I don't try hard enough?

Me. I'm slightly on the shy side, but not excessively. I work out occasionally, at the most so far once a week, but I haven't been to any gym for a month or so. Other than that, I eat a lot, listen to a hella lot of muzak, play guitar, hang out w/friends or whatever.. pretty much a normal 17 year old guy, I figure.

I talk to a lot of people online also though (when there's nothing else to do), and I always get "why don't you have a gf?!" and I'm never able to really answer!

Why DON'T I have a GF? Am I hideous.. ??

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Believe me, I've asked myself the same question a thousand times.

I think the hideous answer probably explains my situation, I dunno about yours.

;)

Viper GTS

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Well you do have quite a large right eye... and that green eyepiece can't help... and what is with that cord coming out of your head?

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Well you do have quite a large right eye... and that green eyepiece can't help... and what is with that cord coming out of your head?

lmao..

That isn't a very good quality picture.. but my eyes are hazel

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
If you are trying to get a girlfriend, you will fail.

It's like holding on to sand. The harder you squeeze, the faster it flows between your fingers. Just put yourself into a position to meet girls and eventually one will appeal to you and vice versa.

pulpp

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
i think if you stop thinking about ti and looking for someone, then you will just find someone when you dont expect it, thats what happens to me anyway.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
It is hard to get one, especially in High school. I really had no luck till college, and then I had greta luck. I think one of the biggest factors that you have control over is the number of women you meet. Meet a lot-date a lot. All us here, are not maximizing our time. I should know...no dates now in forever, and a few years ago I was dating a Speigle catalog model.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Viper, what gives? One minute you talk about your "girlfriend" then the next you say you dont have one?

RSI, I don't think appearance matters unless you carry that pic in your wallet and flash 'em. They might not like that :D Seriously I think its all about technique! How are you going about trying to get a date?

jeweleeann

Jun 11, 2001

<< And how much does appearance matter? >>

It really depends on the girl. Some girls (very shallow ones) are really big on looks but you are good looking so I am not sure what is going on with you.

<< Am I hideous.. ?? >>

Not at all....but that is just my feeble opinion. ;)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
if you are trying to get a girlfriend, you will fail.

It's like holding on to sand. The harder you squeeze, the faster it flows between your fingers. Just put yourself into a position to meet girls and eventually one will appeal to you and vice versa.

I'm not &quot;trying to get a girlfriend&quot; like the way you make it sound. Girls aren't like objects to be had/bought.. The whole point is to have someone there for you when you need them, to have a good time and enjoy the time you spend with that person, etc.. I'm just wondering why i haven't had much experience while others my age have had much more.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
On a more serious note, girls tend to go for guys who have both sides of their face. Maybe you could do a phantom of the opera thing on the left side of your face, it worked for him kinda.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
You look fine, dearie...

I don't think you'll have too much trouble in the future. Part of the problem is that you are only 17, and most teenagers are still involved in getting to know and understand themselves... once you have established yourself more in life, THEN it is time to start exploring the wild and wonderful world of relationships. That's what your 20's are for. Don't be in a hurry... I know that I tell girls your age that they need to be thinking about their own personal growth and not some young guys. ;)

Really, I just think you haven't been out on the market long enough! :D

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Soybomb I think you might be on to something ... technique. hmm... I have no skill! lol. I think I need to be more outgoing. How do you go about at being more outgoing though??

murdock2525

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Not really a need for cuteness...........be understanding...women cry and freak over every little thing................... that is their nature
Put the macho sh!t away and try to understand.....
Women / girls are awesome but can be difficult !
It's just the way it is....
They're not the dude next door !!!
They are a gift from god///but in geekspeak...they are like Win ME
It takes allot of time to make it work LOL
If you want 2000 ?? Get a hooker ! Pfffffffffttttttttt !!!!

I just looked at your pic...Your a man ! Lean/ strong...apparently ?
Get off of this forum and take a girl out and ...whatever...
You are computerpollutedeeeeationed......get real dude !!!

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
RSI, I personally think you're a cutie. I know.....I'll find you a woman, and you find me a man. ;) Heehee

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Put the macho sh!t away and try to understand....

What macho shit? I am understanding and don't act all macho-y at all

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Really I've never had to be all that outgoing. If you can just make friends with a girl, I've found its often possible to take it a step higher if you haven't been friends for like years. Walking up to a stranger and inviting them to the movies doesn't work as well as doing the same to someone who you chat with from time to time for a month or two :) Go make friends in the library, on breaks between class or something! The soda machine is excellent gounds too ;)

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
&quot;A watched pot never boils.&quot;

Relax, you might be trying too hard. Just get out, talk to girls, and see what happens. It might take some time, but it will happen. :)

frizzlefry

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
RSI: I don't think MWLIDING meant that girls were objects or something. It's more like, the more you look, the harder it will be to find.

<< but then again maybe I don't try hard enough? >>

It's not about trying hard. You shouldn't have to work at getting to GF. It's kinda of something that just falls into your lap (hey! not like that!) ;)

I had a few girlfriends in HS. Then I went to college. In college, there is such a much larger base for interaction. I found my GF without really looking. I was interested in some other girls at the time and she was the one I confided in. I had no idea that it would turn into a relationship until it just happened. Now it's going strong for 3 years. Since there are so many people in college, you are more likely to find someone that is more 'compatible' with you. HS is full of petty BS and it really isn't worth it. Oh and I use the word compatible because there really is no &quot;one&quot;. How do you think they got married in the past without transit options? Usually it was someone within the same town, but now you have people marrying others from aroudn the world? That's why there is no &quot;one&quot; it's more like someone who you are compatible with and can put up with their quirks.

Appreances do matter. If you aren't attracted to someone, you aren't really going to get to know them. Do you have some close female friends that you are attracted to? It must've happened at one time or another that after becoming friends, you were physically and emotioanlly attracted to them. I'm a strong believer that to become friends first builds healthier and stronger relationships. But good luck to you.

A simple response to why you don't have a GF could be either, your time is occupied with other matters (ATOT) or that you haven't found one you want to pursue a relationship with.

-edit-
It also has to do with self confidence. If you don't have it, they'll pick up on it. Women, correct me if I'm wrong in saying that you want someone who is confident. Who can make the decisions and take control. I know that might sound of bad but it's tru right? No girl wnats wimp?