two hard drives? faster?

Raikonnen

Aug 11, 2016
I read a review that having two drives is great for editing in Adobe premiere...why is that?
Will a computer be faster somehow with 2 drives? the review doesn't explain why he thinks its better to have two drives (both are M.2 if that matters).

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Generally the notion is to have one drive being your OS drive (C:\ drive) while the other hosts <insert program/data/whatever>, that way your 'OS thrashing' isn't getting in the way of the program doing stuff on the secondary hard drive.

For what it's worth, this is less of an issue nowadays as Win7/10 is far better at background stuff that 98/XP days. In addition, SSD's make most of this notion completely moot, due to IOs being so high. You can still harvest some benefit from splitting data between two drives, but it's mostly a benchmarking exercise, and a holdover from back when we fought dragons for access to DIP switches.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Generally the notion is to have one drive being your OS drive (C:\ drive) while the other hosts <insert program/data/whatever>, that way your 'OS thrashing' isn't getting in the way of the program doing stuff on the secondary hard drive.

For what it's worth, this is less of an issue nowadays as Win7/10 is far better at background stuff that 98/XP days. In addition, SSD's make most of this notion completely moot, due to IOs being so high. You can still harvest some benefit from splitting data between two drives, but it's mostly a benchmarking exercise, and a holdover from back when we fought dragons for access to DIP switches.

While it may not be mandatory to use two drives for video and image editing, I still think it is the best way to go. You have two devices working for you instead of one and not have "all your eggs in one basket". I use an SSD for a system drive and 7200 rpm HD for Adobe Premiere and Photoshop.

Raikonnen

Aug 11, 2016
I suppose if nothing else I like the idea of have the OS on one drive and everything else on the other....so I can uninstall/refresh as needed without losing data.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Reinstalling nowadays (Win10) doesn't dump user data at all, unless you format first. If something is going to break a program (registry entries dumped, for instance) it's going to happen no matter what platter the program is installed on.