Trumps tweeted "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF" and i cant believe I agree with him

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-trump/trump-says-u-s-to-make-a-decision-on-coronavirus-outbreak-at-end-of-current-15-day-plan-idUSKBN21A0C6

Earlier on Sunday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the lockdown affecting large segments of the American public was likely to last 10 to 12 weeks, or until early June.

Trump again expressed impatience with the effect of public health measures on the economy with that tweet.
I'm a Dem and i cant believe that im saying this but I agree with his tweet. :eek:
with more and more states telling people to stay home, unemployment could reach a high of 30%.

heck the current guidelines of no more than 10people max has already taken a toll on the econ.
estimates of New unemployment claims could be 2M when figures are released this Thurs. The previous record was 700k in 1982.
(https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/u-s-weekly-jobless-claims-could-exceed-2-million-goldman-says)

We need to find a balance.

i say go back to allowing groups of 50 to come together.
this will allow restaurants to have dine in (instead of the current take out only) and allow small businesses/retailers open again.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-trump/trump-says-u-s-to-make-a-decision-on-coronavirus-outbreak-at-end-of-current-15-day-plan-idUSKBN21A0C6

Earlier on Sunday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the lockdown affecting large segments of the American public was likely to last 10 to 12 weeks, or until early June.

Trump again expressed impatience with the effect of public health measures on the economy with that tweet.
with more and more states telling people to stay home, unemployment could reach a high of 30%. :eek:

heck the current guidelines of no more than 10people max has already taken a toll on the econ.
estimates of New unemployment claims could be 2M when figures are released this Thurs. The previous record was 700k in 1982.
(https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/u-s-weekly-jobless-claims-could-exceed-2-million-goldman-says)

this will allow restaurants to have dine in (instead of the current take out only) and allow retailers open again.
I say we suck it up until the curve flattens then slowly rescind restrictions.
Not a big fan of the “some if you may die but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make” plan.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Go away off and determine just what that will do for spreading and come back.
“some of you may die but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make” vs all this additional debt ($1T+) from a possible stimulus package on top of the already debt ridden $2T budget.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
“some of you may die but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make” vs all this additional debt ($1T+) from a possible stimulus package on top of the already debt ridden $2T budget.

"Some" is not a number.

Go get a range.

[and here's a freebie for you - with an overwhelmed health system, as per Italy, the mortality rate is not 1-2%, its around 10%]

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I'm a Dem but I agree with his tweet. :eek:
with more and more states telling people to stay home, unemployment could reach a high of 30%.

this will allow restaurants to have dine in (instead of the current take out only) and allow small businesses/retailers open again.
First of all I don't know how you can agree with Trump not knowing what he means. His M.O. talk in vague generalities and let others interpret. That gives him deniability.

Let's assume for a second you are a Trump whisperer do you really want your immno compromised 75 year old grandmother attending church services with other 75 year old immuno compromised grandmothers?

My translation Trump like everything else wants a quick fix. He said as much with the drug compound used for Melania (joke). He wanted it immediately deployed without it being tested. Dr. Fauci said there is "no evidence" it would be effective but did not rule it out.

He makes a pronouncement of enabling the National Defense Act yet refuses to implement it. Yet again, half assing it. When has Trump ever shown a believe in science unless it personally benefits him?

As I've stated multiple times I trust getting my health advice from Dr. Fauci, not Donald Trump.

We have examples where countries managed to flatten the curve. Singapore, South Korea, Japan. We have examples where countries refused to isolate until it was too late, Italy.

I have no problem with trying to find a balance for the sake of the economy but Trump is NOT the person to lead that effort. He can't be trusted with either truth or competency.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My prediction, next presser Trump will be asked to elaborate on his quote

He will not directly answer that question.

BTW - Doesn't the sentence structure look un-Trump like??

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I'm a Dem and i cant believe that im saying this but I agree with his tweet. :eek:

Is there any particular reason you think not shutting these sectors down and instead dealing with an enormous, out of control spread of a deadly virus that overwhelms our medical system and leaves millions dead would have better economic impacts?

Jan 25, 2011
Let people with antibodies out?
The number of known "recovered" people in the US, so those with antibodies, is currently 178 people. They are working on an antibodies test to understand the true scope but that would be a monumental task just to clear people to return to work.

Not sure that is going to be the solution.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The number of known "recovered" people in the US, so those with antibodies, is currently 178 people. They are working on an antibodies test to understand the true scope but that would be a monumental task just to clear people to return to work.

Not sure that is going to be the solution.
Yea, but there is that 80% of the population that only get mild sides.. If there was a way to clear those....

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well guess what folks, we have an explanation for Trump's attempt at a policy change of getting back out in public (assuming that's what he means)

He's getting policy advice from Fox News again. Trump is as great a threat to the country as COVID-19.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The core problem is that "social distancing for everyone" isn't a sustainable or repeatable model. Pandemics used to be a once a century type of deal, now they're accelerating to once a decade or even faster periodicity. SARS (the original coronavirus) was 2002-2003, swine flu (H1N1) was 2009, outbreak of Ebola in 2014, more that I'm probably missing. The current situation is a one-and-done event that can't be repeated IMHO as the American people (or world) won't stand for willingly plunging itself into New Great Depression every few years. I don't know what the model will be for the next pandemic, but I can say with a high degree of confidence it's not going to be "shut down the economy for weeks to months at a time" any more than our immediate response to 9/11 (shut down all air traffic) was sustainable for more than a very brief period.

But none of those had the combination of highly contagious and deadly enough to demand these kind of measures so this comparison doesn't make sense.

1) SARS infected about 8,000 people total and 774 died. In contrast, about 774 people died in Italy from this coronavirus... yesterday.

2) As compared to H1N1 the mortality rate of this coronavirus appears to be ten times greater, perhaps more.

3) While Ebola is certainly far deadlier than this it is not particularly easily transmitted in countries with effective sanitation, unlike this coronavirus, and asymptomatic people cannot transmit it, unlike with this virus.

The world is likely more susceptible to pandemic viruses like this because we are more interconnected than before but there's no reason to believe something like this would be once or more per decade because, well, this is the only one we've seen in a century.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Is there any particular reason you think not shutting these sectors down and instead dealing with an enormous, out of control spread of a deadly virus that overwhelms our medical system and leaves millions dead would have better economic impacts?

Economic collapse seems a distinct possibility either way. Businesses can't function, workers can't work and people will die. Not rosy by any means but bankruptcies and loss of commercial infrastructure can't be waved away.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Pandemics used to be a once a century type of deal, now they're accelerating to once a decade or even faster periodicity.

The lesson is jump on the thing ASAP.

The decision makers in Wuhan completely screwed up in November/December. Swift & decisive action then would have nipped it in the bud.

Reactions: skyking and you2

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Economic collapse seems a distinct possibility either way. Businesses can't function, workers can't work and people will die. Not rosy by any means but bankruptcies and loss of commercial infrastructure can't be waved away.

Who is waving it away?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The lesson is jump on the thing ASAP.

The decision makers in Wuhan completely screwed up in November/December. Swift & decisive action then would have nipped it in the bud.

I hope the one lesson that leaders do not forget for awhile is that covering things up in the hopes that they will just go away is a catastrophically incompetent strategy.

China did this and let this thing get out of control to begin with but after their failure the US and other countries did basically the exact same thing.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
2) As compared to H1N1 the mortality rate of this coronavirus appears to be ten times greater, perhaps more.
And it's important to note that it's not just the direct mortality rate. The hospitalization rate is horrifyingly high. And if someone, for example, has a heart attack while the ICU beds are all full of covid-19 patients? Well, it sucks to be them.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

Your premise is flawed.
If you have cancer and the treatments are time consuming and expensive, would you reduce treatments so that you can find a balance of treatment and going to work?

If you are in a car crash and you have a major bleed, do you tell the EMT to not cut through your expensive shirt and to instead unbutton it carefully?

Its the assholes trying to find a balance who are part of the problem and how shit like this spreads.

The economic impact of not taking required measures to contain a high infectious disease is greater than the impact of containment policies that are currently in place and projected to last for.
Reducing measures to get cash flowing through the economy is half-assing required measures.

This is a highly infectious disease. Let the adults at the CDC, WHO and other places run this show and deal with the short term impacts.

We have a few more weeks before we can start to seriously re-asses at the local level.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
How about we revisit this in 1 week. Keep an eye on New York. Then Invision what will be happening this week with the death count, just in New York (it's already increasing quickly), but in every state... Also, while you are at it, take a long hard look at your parents and grandparents.. decide if you are ready to say goodbye for good.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I say we suck it up until the curve flattens then slowly rescind restrictions.
Not a big fan of the “some if you may die but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make” plan.

With economic collapse, nearly all of us die.