Trump White House cancels NASA's Carbon Monitoring System.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Nope. But I definitely prefer they spend that vast majority of their resources on space exploration and travel.

I agree but we've been doing both but the S
The BFR will only be able to lift 20,000 more pounds to LEO (310K lb versus 330K lb), I'm not sure where you are getting a 4X more lifting capacity. I really wish that was the case but it isn't.

And after seeing what they did with the Falcon Heavy I am not going to bet against them and it isn't like big government programs are known for keeping their schedules.

Yep - Webb

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
None is yet built and you can LOL at SpaceX's planned development timetable. The Falcon heavy was years late, when you create monster rockets you deal with a lot of issues you don't expect. That being said, I was able to see the Heavy fly and I was impressed, BFR is much, much bigger than any previous rocket, 4X the lifting capability of the Saturn V. Do I think it will succeed?, yes, but at a much later date than expected.

BFR will of course be late but it's not exactly unique here.

SLS Block 1 launch keeps slipping, now somewhere in 2020. I'll entertain wagers about them making it.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
The BFR will only be able to lift 20,000 more pounds to LEO (310K lb versus 330K lb), I'm not sure where you are getting a 4X more lifting capacity. I really wish that was the case but it isn't.

And after seeing what they did with the Falcon Heavy I am not going to bet against them and it isn't like big government programs are known for keeping their schedules.
My mistake, yea, I hope they do succeed because NASA's "SLS" is just reusing already too old and way too expensive technology. The Saturn V, although a brilliant design (considering the computers of that era were of little to no help) was ultimately a very expensive machine for a single use only. Most of those same players, ( Boeing, Rocketdyne) are involved with the SLS and it too will be just too expensive in the end. I'm hoping SpaceX will succeed with BFR so politicians will be forced to abandon pork-barrel spending.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Big oil don't need no steenking CO2 data. Ergo, neither does Trump, the GOP or Muricuh, either. Why the Hell should we spend money to find out what we don't want to know, anyway?

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Nope. But I definitely prefer they spend that vast majority of their resources on space exploration and travel.
I suspect a totally honest statement from you would be "I don't want any government money spent on climate science"

Nov 30, 2006
I suspect a totally honest statement from you would be "I don't want any government money spent on climate science"
You suspect wrongly. And please don't stereotype me...simplistic caricatures of human beings are rooted in bigotry, and only serve to bring one's intelligence into question.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Big oil don't need no steenking CO2 data. Ergo, neither does Trump, the GOP or Muricuh, either. Why the Hell should we spend money to find out what we don't want to know, anyway?
Oh come on. This is really about properly prioritizing budgets. /s

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
This article is complete rubbish. They used no facts to verify the claim. Lastly, at the VERY bottom it mentions funding is likely to be restored, championed by Representative John Culberson (R-TX).