Trump to impose tariffs on Mexico due to immigration/asylum issue, starting June 10

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Let me ask you somoething genius, if you could snap your stubby orange fingers and make all the undocumented disapear tomorrow what do you think would happen to the economy. No guesses, use what minimal facts you have obtained over time.
almost surprised he didn't claim that his husband is latino.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
it isn't that they refuse to do the work, they refuse to do the work for the pay offered, just isn't worth it to most. why break your back for less than minimum wage?

just remember what happened when alabama tried this:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/undocumented-workers-immigration-alabama

produce was rotting in the fields because all the undocumented left and the farmers could not get anyone to pick the crops, they lost millions.

I remember what happened in Alabama quite well, it's usually my goto when talking about certain sectors of the economy collapsing. I believe Georgia went thru something similar recently as well. I wouldn't sleep for a week if I was to think about what would happen if we tried to deport 11+ Million undocumented people from this country. Not sleeping for a week wouldn't be because of fear of what would happen it would be because that's how long it would take to wrap my head around the consequences.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I guess you forgot about the Dems in the Senate that were able to stop anything they didn't like. Womp womp.

Oh please. Your deal maker in Chief fumbled multiple times. Sorry Brandon, it's eaither incompetence or they don't care. Can't blame Dems when you're running shit, womp womp .

Pathetic

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Mitch McConnell apparently got to Trump. After all, Mitch is running the country and doing it all by himself.
Mitch gives donald a little wiggle room here and there but keeps a tight leash on what Mitch allows Trump to do and not to do.
And that would explain why the Mitch republicans love Trump so much. If not for Trump who knows where Mitch McConnell would be?
Mitch knew if those tariffs hurt the economy and hurt jobs then republicans would be doomed come 2020.
And.... they wouldn't get their next US Supreme Court justice.
They don't care about collusion or Russians or breaking the law, all they care about is Trump not screwing things up to the point it turns republicans against Donald Trump.
Mitch was heard saying to Trump, "if you try to screw things up just one more time, I'm taking the belt to your ass".
That pretty much did it. And Donald changed his mind.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Oh please. Your deal maker in Chief fumbled multiple times. Sorry Brandon, it's eaither incompetence or they don't care. Can't blame Dems when you're running shit, womp womp .

Pathetic
don't forget the long history of republicans blocking virtually everything prior to trump taking office that THEY did not like, including judges.

But that is not what this thread is, now is. It's about trump and his folding to mexico. he was scared of republican bolting.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
don't forget the long history of republicans blocking virtually everything prior to trump taking office that THEY did not like, including judges.

But that is not what this thread is, now is. It's about trump and his folding to mexico. he was scared of republican bolting.

It's not even accurate though. Dems came to the table and were assured agreements repeatedly. Republicans literally vowed obstructionism.

Brandon bull is participating in revisionist history.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
It's not even accurate though. Dems came to the table and were assured agreements repeatedly. Republicans literally vowed obstructionism.

Brandon bull is participating in revisionist history.
one reason I have him on ignore, he never makes valid arguments.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Paying for illegal aliens to play soccer and get free health care while awaiting immigration court is a very large random tax on the American taxpayer.

You do realize you're talking about CHILDREN , don't you Sparky? Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but the United States has numerous laws regarding the storage and warehousing of children, but mostly YOU CAN'T!

Federal law states children MUST, not should, nor could, but MUST be provided an education, and recreational activities. There are also international norms that MUST be adhered to, unless you want to see your Lord and Savior standing trial as a war criminal at The Hague someday.

Actually he's pretty close to that now, but if you're advocating depriving children of basic life skills, why not just re-open Treblinka and fire up the ovens?

As an addendum, you know what they call places where people are kept in cages with nothing to stimulate their minds or bodies? PRISONS. There are too many laws to list that are against keeping children in prisons. And they're not "aliens", they're humans.

Are you?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Did the Republican rumblings have at least something to do with his backing off. Or was he just doing his usual "set a fire then put it out" dance?

Just read the agreement. Mexico will take "unprecedented steps" to stop migration, which means they will deploy the National Guard across the country, they will stop human trafficking, and if any immigrants get across the US border, they will be returned to Mexico to await adjudication.

Well hell, another problem solved. This is almost as good as ending the nuclear threat in North Korea. :rolleyes:

So far as I can tell, Trump may have finally had his first extortion success in office. Trump didn't cave, Mexico did.

Though, to be fair, that agreement doesn't really say anything other than that Mexico will deploy its National Guard to the Southern border. It mentions other things, but no actual numbers or plans, just sort of vague principles. The "to be reviewed in 90 days" part seems to be the main thing. Basically, it's an agreement to continue negotiating for 90 days.

In theory, according to the document, this would be the end of negotiations - if we presume that the measures being discussed would actually reduce the amount of immigration within 90 days. But, as said, the only explicit measure it discusses is to deploy troops to the Southern border of Mexico. That may have some effect on preventing people from coming into Mexico, but it doesn't prevent the people who are already in Mexico from continuing to head North. It will probably take a little over 90 days for those people to peter out. In the meanwhile, I wouldn't expect any actual change to the immigration numbers.

I expect that they knew that. The 90 day deadline is really a buffer for them to try and write up some actual goals - as in actual benchmark numbers - and get that down on paper. Of course, on the side of Mexico, it could just be a delay strategy while they prep to kneecap Trump.

But my guess is that they've actually caved and, having done so, they'll continue to do so. They've just decided to be Trump's chew toy, and I would expect Trump to ramp up taking advantage of them in the future.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Trump 2020 looks to be any even easier win now

Donald J. Trump has exhibited true leadership in helping to stop the raging mass of illegal immigrants crossing the border.

Regular politicians would have made empty promises and carried nothing out.

FOUR MORE YEARS!

Reactions: KillerBee

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Donald J. Trump has exhibited true leadership in helping to stop the raging mass of illegal immigrants crossing the border.

FOUR MORE YEARS!

Heil Trump!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

FOUR MORE YEARS!

Lol! So I take it that you completely ignored the graphs and data that has been posted in this very thread?

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Donnie Two-Scoops is claiming to have scored a victory and will not impose his tariff on imports from Mexico? I'll wait to hear from the President of Mexico about the deal. Our President is a bald-faced liar and there is absolutely no reason to believe a single thing he says.

Those who are cheering about this so-called deal are suckers. Trump suckers.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Donnie Two-Scoops is claiming to have scored a victory....

The president has earned his two scoops of ice cream! If Mexico doesnt deliver results (no matter when those promises were made), they will get a good tariff spanking on their economic rear end.

The stable genius knows what he is doing while Democrats do nothing but criticize and complain.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
^^not sure FDC knows what tariffs are.

Obviously, he doesn't or he would know that those tariffs end up costing the people of this country more for the products that they are placed on and doesn't cost the country that the tariffs are imposed on.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Obviously, he doesn't or he would know that those tariffs end up costing the people of this country more for the products that they are placed on and doesn't cost the country that the tariffs are imposed on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - see Democrats are so MEAN