Trump TIME interview

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Are there any real American conservatives left? All I seem to ever see any more are plain old reactionaries and their subsets of culture warriors and alt fascists.
I can't for the life of me think of a single policy that a "real" American conservative would support, assuming that by "real" you mean "grounded in reality and thoroughly logical." As soon as that standard is applied you end up supporting policies significantly to the left of the modern Democratic policy.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I can't for the life of me think of a single policy that a "real" American conservative would support, assuming that by "real" you mean "grounded in reality and thoroughly logical." As soon as that standard is applied you end up supporting policies significantly to the left of the modern Democratic policy.
and thus the "big con" Republicans have managed to get red state base to support policies that are against their better interests.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'm torn. Much like a kid that acts out for any and all attention I have one part of me that says deny him of any and all attention. Do not reward him with screen time, air time, interviews ect. That's the only way to strike at his ego and deflate him. Make him insignificant.

But on the flip side, interviews like this that he comes off as a raging moron could continue to erode away support and reinforce why many of us never voted for him in the first place. But that's a fools errand. He's been like this since the start. It's not like it's new behavior and we should expect some real presidential pivot.

At this point this stuff is just nothing more than public shaming of the US to the rest of the world.

Time is a business, not a moral enterprise. If they or anyone ignores Trump they hurt their bottom line and that will not happen. It's like SNL. They joke and make political humor but they do not engage in satire, which is more about making a point with humor being the irony. "Funny" sells. Being made uncomfortable? Not so much.

I came across this podcast the other day- http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/10-the-satire-paradox

Warning- it's depressing but sadly realistic. If you don't want to listen to all of it there is a section near the end which deals with Israeli political sarcasm and the video referred to is in the sidebar.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

We're in a post conservative world. A long time ago, a very long time indeed, Conservative values were much like Classical Liberalism, where freedom was paramount. Nowadays freedom is contingent on being a "true American" and economic freedom with no responsibility except to make the wealthy even richer, oh and lots and lots of nukes.

Say what you will about Conservatives, as I can't stand political Morlocks.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
He's unravelling. Quickly.

No, he was already unraveled. This man is absolutely no different than he was a year ago. We're just slowly seeing it revealed.
The guy America elected was never fit to be president of the United States, and now that he's got the job, the Peter Principle will show how poor a choice he was to begin with.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
No, he was already unraveled. This man is absolutely no different than he was a year ago. We're just slowly seeing it revealed.
The guy America elected was never fit to be president of the United States, and now that he's got the job, the Peter Principle will show how poor a choice he was to begin with.

I don't disagree, I just think he's getting worse. That's all.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Folks, with the thought in mind that absolutely no one can be that insane and still manage to become POTUS, I am giving Trump the benefit of the doubt and reason that he is merely putting on an act, a diversion of sorts, while behind closed doors he is making yuge deals with his fellow oligarchs in Russia, Iran, China and their lapdog state the DPRK where he will "Make America Great Again" like he promised. And not only that, he is actually playing Putin for a fool by selling him real estate that Putin already owns through his laundering schemes. Further still, Trump is........OK, OK, OK, I tried to give the guy a break by trying to think as he does, so before posting this up, I smacked myself upside the head really hard with a 3 lb. ball peen hammer a few times and then ran full speed headfirst into the streetlight pole in front of my house for good measure and alleviated the pain with a quart of really good locally brewed hooch. You know, to really get a good feel for what the inside of Trump's head is like.

Damned if i didn't think right then and there that Putin was an upstanding kind of guy with not a single evil thought in his head, and that every American is a sucker waiting to have their wallets picked clean by me AND loved me for doing it to them. Not only that, I thought I could run for president as a gag, a publicity stunt as it were, and have a really good laugh over it after all was said and done. For the few seconds that I was reeling and cross-eyed looking at all the stars floating around in front of me and just before I blacked out I had a vision that good 'ol what's-his-face from Iwalk, errr....Iran, yeh, anyway you know that guy with the silk bee hive on his head? He was gonna open the doors of his country to me and give me first crack at building a yuuuge golf course/hotel complex right smack dab outside of his palace right after I got done being president.

See? Anybody can think exactly like Trump if you'd just care to do what I did to really understand the guy.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
I am increasingly convinced that in addition to being a sociopath and pathological liar, President Trump is in the early phases of senile dementia. I defy anyone to read this interview transcript and conclude that this is a man in his right mind. Try to imagine any other American President (even Reagan, who may well have been suffering from senile dementia in his second term) so incapable of tracking a conversation and responding coherently to questions. It's just chilling to think that this person controls the most devastating arsenal ever assembled in human history, and that he could, on a whim, effect the destruction of our planet. May God help us all . . .

Google wing and a prayer + Reagan

He was messed up in his first term..

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Trump is the great dissembler. He knows what he's doing. He only claimed his phone was tapped to divert attention from Sessions lying to Congress, and it worked. Sessions is apparently very important to his efforts & much more vulnerable so he put the heat on himself, knowing he's locked in for 4 years, untouchable. There's a method to his madness that his buffoonish is designed to conceal.