Trump Scoreboard - Marketwatch

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
My wages have gone up with the new tax system. As a middle class person nothing Obama did ever benefited me.

Do you think your lies will pass the sniff test? Firstly, your wages went up if you got a raise. Now if you are claiming for take home pay has increased, that's different, and it certainly doesn't mean that next year when you do your taxes you are keeping that money. Just a heads up.

2nd, are you forgetting the American Taxpayer Relief Act? You know that one Obama signed in 2012? You know, the taxpayers kept $321 billion more of their own money than they would have otherwise? You know, an actual BIGGER tax cut that Trump just gave the middle class? DERP DERP DERP

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
How do you figure that?
As others have mentioned already, there was the tax cut for middle income earners. But in addition, I would think you would consider not having to get a separate health insurance policy for your kid in college a pretty significant benefit. One that republicans are currently working to do away with.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Not that the stock market is the sole indicator of the economy but it was up 245% over Obamas 8 years. I doubt Trump can sustain that pace.
That's because it crashed with the housing balloon bust and hit very low numbers, lots of folks lost all or most of their 401k's, remember? Of course it had to go back up eventually, that's not the result of any policy Obamanation made. My home's value was cut by 2/3 while BO was in office. It was a common event for most people.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
If stock market returns have been goosed by Trump then why are US returns at similar levels or behind markets worldwide? Did they all elect Trump?

IMF-Year-2017-in-5-Charts_cht5.jpg

In short, there is little reason to think that US stock market returns are related to Trump as our markets are moving in tandem with the rest of the world. Our economic growth is also not 'historic' by any standard I am aware of. It is good, but by no means anywhere close to historic. The president has at best a limited effect on the economy and stock market, even over the course of their whole administration. This holds triply true for the first year of an administration. Thinking otherwise is just partisanship fueled wishful thinking.
LOL you don't really think that's the whole picture, do you? When Corporations save on taxes, they spend on things that add value to their stocks like assets and machinery, so the value is higher, there are more investors buying the stock and the price increases.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
If trump is so successful. Why does he have such low approval ratings? How does that correlate to the stock market? Or his bigliest red button and expert diplomatic/negotiation skills? Do you kind of get how much of a circus/joke the US looks like to the rest of the world at the moment? Just curious. I know that for someone who is a diehard conservative anyone except white males* who vote trump don't matter but I thought I would mention it. The US can only isolate itself so much. It will always be heavily dependent on china and mexico for manufacturing.

The trump family has their products manufactured in china for example. I am not saying that has anything to do with the donalds failure to do anything about china aggressively seizing the south china sea but it does make me wonder.

*I think that some of these conservative would like to go back to the 1950's or even earlier. To a time when women knew their place.
The US under Obama was a bigger joke, Syrian leaders felt comfortable gassing their own people knowing that no-balls Obama wouldn't do anything about it even after he 'warned' them he 'might' retaliate.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I have seen wage increases. He has done more in less time than his predecessor.

With the exception that he didn't. Obama passed a larger tax cut by making most of President George W. Bush's cuts permanent in 2012. They were set to expire and the GOP was A OK with that because Obama...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
That's because it crashed with the housing balloon bust and hit very low numbers, lots of folks lost all or most of their 401k's, remember? Of course it had to go back up eventually, that's not the result of any policy Obamanation made. My home's value was cut by 2/3 while BO was in office. It was a common event for most people.

Again with the exception that it wasn't... Home values rebounded under Obama, reaching a new high in his final year in 2016...

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
LOL you don't really think that's the whole picture, do you? When Corporations save on taxes, they spend on things that add value to their stocks like assets and machinery, so the value is higher, there are more investors buying the stock and the price increases.

1. Only if there is demand
2. Only if they were previously cash constrained, and could not make the investment

Only if the two conditions are true will the tax cuts make a difference in capital investment.

When corporations were already sitting on historical levels of cash, it's hard to make that conclusion. Hence why the vast majority of economists see minimal growth.

More valuable was the changes to the amortization schedule for capital investments, but you didn't need $2T in additional debt to do it.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Companies are spending more of their tax cut on stock buy backs than they are one time small bonuses given to employees based on years of service. It's a fucking joke.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Yeah okay....
national-prayer-breakfast.jpg
What does this have to do with foreign policy and Syria? You must not remember all the papers around the world with their comics laughing at the big eared monkey man we elected...I remember them.

Your racist allusions are not welcome here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Again with the exception that it wasn't... Home values rebounded under Obama, reaching a new high in his final year in 2016...
LOL my home is still not worth what it once was... great rebound there. First, you loose 66% of your homes value, then get back 40-50% and you are happy that it increased? lol You still lost value, fool.

Jan 25, 2011
LOL my home is still not worth what it once was... great rebound there. First, you loose 66% of your homes value, then get back 40-50% and you are happy that it increased? lol You still lost value, fool.
It was a housing bubble. Of course they didn’t shoot right back up where they were. That’s what happens when a bubble collapses. It shouldnt go back where it was immediately. A gradual trend is what’s health in the market place.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
What does this have to do with foreign policy and Syria? You must not remember all the papers around the world with their comics laughing at the big eared monkey man we elected...I remember them.
And you forgot his woeful Boy Scout Speech. Words to live by....NOT! What a shameful man.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Wow, you just dropped all pretence and embraced your racism with full gusto. No wonder you're such an enthusiastic Trump drone.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Wow, you just dropped all pretence and embraced your racism with full gusto. No wonder you're such an enthusiastic Trump drone.
Oh hell, have you guys not moved A17 to ignore?

C'mon guys. Your signal:noise always matters.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah okay....
national-prayer-breakfast.jpg

I know you don't get this, but this is exactly why a lot of people like Trump. Obama was a very polished public speaker, I'm sure he worked for years to know how to say all the right things. Trump is off the cuff and a bit of an asshole, but he's transparent.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I know you don't get this, but this is exactly why a lot of people like Trump. Obama was a very polished public speaker, I'm sure he worked for years to know how to say all the right things. Trump is off the cuff and a bit of an asshole, but he's transparent.
And what do you think of people who like him for being like that and not respecting the office he holds?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Transparent? He doesn't say much of anything most of the time. When asked direct questions he gives non-answers and word salads.

Try harder, comrade.

Reactions: soundforbjt

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Transparent? He doesn't say much of anything most of the time. When asked direct questions he gives non-answers and word salads.

Try harder, comrade.

As well outright lies every chance he gets.

No one knows for sure where his finances come from or who holds his debts, and he has refused to show anything of value. He hides everything important.

Saying crude or false things doesn't make you transparent. That's being unsophisticated at best.

Falling for his confidence scheme and schtick makes you a sucker.