interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
My first thought is that it is very difficult to attribute economic indicators to a President.

My economic concerns are more in the area of workforce participation needing priority over unemployment, attention to income inequality, and in measuring wealth accumulation as opposed to income (in the 99%, not the 1%).

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
BTW, my 401k has gone up almost 14% over Trump's first year. I hope all of you are having good returns as well.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You're celebrating an undisturbed climb from the 2008 disaster. A recovery started by the stimulus Republicans tried to stop.
Question... which executive action or legislative policy, under Trump, caused a positive change in the market? And why?

PSA, the market has not corrected since 2008. It is overdue for a reckoning. Will you blindly attribute that to the President as well?
I'd be quite shocked if the market's bubble survives the next 3 years. Though I'll admit I expected it to pop years earlier under Obama.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You're celebrating an undisturbed climb from the 2008 disaster. A recovery started by the stimulus Republicans tried to stop.
Question... which executive action or legislative policy, under Trump, caused a positive change in the market? And why?

PSA, the market has not corrected since 2008. It is overdue for a reckoning. Will you blindly attribute that to the President as well?
I'd be quite shocked if the market's bubble survives the next 3 years. Though I'll admit I expected it to pop years earlier under Obama.

I don't think we're in a bubble, there is a lot of stability and the job market is great with low unemployment. To me this feels like the Clinton years. I have always said the POTUS isn't directly responsible for the stock market, but certainly can do things to help or ruin the economy on the whole (starting with who they appoint to the Fed Reserve). I was happy with how things went under Obama, and gave him credit for not screwing things up and letting the market grow. The trend is continuing, and even accelerating under Trump.

Reactions: Jaskalas
Jan 25, 2011
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...measures-up-after-1-year-in-office-2018-01-17

Not bad. Towed the line in some places, nice numbers in others. I'd like to see workforce participation improve, and of course wage increases. But after one year, not a bad start. Thoughts?
Moving forward from the tax cut bill passing more of the economic performance falls on him but up until now there's not much credit for most of what is realistically viewed as a continuation of the existing economic trends. Nothing really was done that would impact the economy until now. Let's see where things are in 3 years time.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
everything was horrible under obama but trump fixed it all in 1 year. Like he hasnt even done anything. lol.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
We are living in the final days of the Bull market. We are just on the edge of euphoria. Soon, your hairdresser and the guy making your burrito bowl at Chipotle will be giving you stock tips. When you start receiving unsolicited stock tips from random, ostensibly poor strangers you will know it is time to sell because the crash is near.

I'm giving it 6-12 months before the fall.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The economy will continue to improve as more and more people become more and more liberal in attitude. The conservative psychosis and convulsion we have seen is a temporary reflex in that growth provided by an ever-growing awareness that the conservative brain defect is an evolutionary dead end that is undergoing extinction.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
For anyone who doesn't believe we're in a period of "irrational exuberance", just look at the Bitcoin market as one example.

I think overall the markets are artificially inflated--real output hasn't really improved under Trump and we're still running a trade deficit.

I just hope that regardless of whether the bubble pops, the Trump administration takes steps to control inflation. The income and wealth disparities will get real ugly real quick if inflation really starts to creep up.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
the mo of people like trump is to pump and dump and then buy when it crashes. Peasants like slow will be left wondering why their 401k is worth 50% less.

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011

Markets don't have to wait for a change in legislation, the fact that Trump is widely perceived as business friendly and that he had a supportive legislative branch ought to be enough. He's also on a wide deregulation spree which might or might not help, but is enough for the perception. The recent tax cuts have agreed with that perception.

The market has been good enough for fed to raise the rates thrice last year, despite it being 'an undisturbed climb from the 2008 disaster'. They are poised to do it for this year as well.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Look at the charts. The market was on a slow climb under Obama, but immediately struck a much sharper arc under Trump. My own 401k is up 23% for 2017. Normally I too would expect a correction since the stock market is largely driven by perception and easily spooked, but this time we actually do have historic economic growth underpinning the market. Of course, if it looks like the Dems will take the House, we’ll have a possibly severe correction as investors seek to lock in gains, but unless there’s some severe economic hit, I’m guessing we are fine until we near that time.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
If trump is so successful. Why does he have such low approval ratings? How does that correlate to the stock market? Or his bigliest red button and expert diplomatic/negotiation skills? Do you kind of get how much of a circus/joke the US looks like to the rest of the world at the moment? Just curious. I know that for someone who is a diehard conservative anyone except white males* who vote trump don't matter but I thought I would mention it. The US can only isolate itself so much. It will always be heavily dependent on china and mexico for manufacturing.

The trump family has their products manufactured in china for example. I am not saying that has anything to do with the donalds failure to do anything about china aggressively seizing the south china sea but it does make me wonder.

*I think that some of these conservative would like to go back to the 1950's or even earlier. To a time when women knew their place.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Trump likes to take credit for things that he has zero to do with like airline safety. Sure he can take credit for the economy, go ahead, but he has to take credit for the bad things too like the government shutdown among other things.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
As of Trumps first calandar year in office, the Dow had risen from 19,827.3 to 26,000 it's at 31%. Good, but still not as good as Obama's first year.

Under Obama, the Dow increased from 7,949.1 to 10,572 — a rise of 33 percent. If we are using the OP's metric then my 401K has been rising hand over fist since Bush left office. The bar was set very, very low and could only go up. For how long...

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
As of Trumps first calandar year in office, the Dow had risen from 19,827.3 to 26,000 it's at 31%. Good, but still not as good as Obama's first year.

Under Obama, the Dow increased from 7,949.1 to 10,572 — a rise of 33 percent. If we are using the OP's metric then my 401K has been rising hand over fist since Bush left office. The bar was set very, very low and could only go up. For how long...

The bar was very low when Obama took office, GW really ruined things all around. From unnecessary wars to bad domestic decisions. Obama had almost no place to go but up. But again, as I said, I give him credit, I know a lot of people were against him but he helped bring the market back to normality. I don't have a crystal ball (as so many posters in this subforum seem to think they do have), we'll see how things are as we go forward, but I am confident we'll do well with Trump in office.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Look at the charts. The market was on a slow climb under Obama, but immediately struck a much sharper arc under Trump. My own 401k is up 23% for 2017. Normally I too would expect a correction since the stock market is largely driven by perception and easily spooked, but this time we actually do have historic economic growth underpinning the market. Of course, if it looks like the Dems will take the House, we’ll have a possibly severe correction as investors seek to lock in gains, but unless there’s some severe economic hit, I’m guessing we are fine until we near that time.

If stock market returns have been goosed by Trump then why are US returns at similar levels or behind markets worldwide? Did they all elect Trump?

IMF-Year-2017-in-5-Charts_cht5.jpg

In short, there is little reason to think that US stock market returns are related to Trump as our markets are moving in tandem with the rest of the world. Our economic growth is also not 'historic' by any standard I am aware of. It is good, but by no means anywhere close to historic. The president has at best a limited effect on the economy and stock market, even over the course of their whole administration. This holds triply true for the first year of an administration. Thinking otherwise is just partisanship fueled wishful thinking.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not that the stock market is the sole indicator of the economy but it was up 245% over Obamas 8 years. I doubt Trump can sustain that pace.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Let's see how well the global markets handle Trump after all the globalists get to meet him at Davos.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If stock market returns have been goosed by Trump then why are US returns at similar levels or behind markets worldwide? Did they all elect Trump?

IMF-Year-2017-in-5-Charts_cht5.jpg

In short, there is little reason to think that US stock market returns are related to Trump as our markets are moving in tandem with the rest of the world. Our economic growth is also not 'historic' by any standard I am aware of. It is good, but by no means anywhere close to historic. The president has at best a limited effect on the economy and stock market, even over the course of their whole administration. This holds triply true for the first year of an administration. Thinking otherwise is just partisanship fueled wishful thinking.
Just another one of those pesky coincidences, eh?

Reactions: Bitek