Trump Scoreboard - Marketwatch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Just another one of those pesky coincidences, eh?

It’s not pesky or particularly interesting. US equities rose at approximately the same rate as equities worldwide. If you want to think that’s special because someone on your political sports team is in office I guess that’s up to you.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Let's see how well the global markets handle Trump after all the globalists get to meet him at Davos.
Funny you mention DAVOS, Trump’s taking nearly everyone with him and guess what, there’s going to be around 30 top Russians there. Wonder who they’ll spend their time talking to?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The stock market, a measure of how much stock is worth, not particularly well-suited for measuring the growth and stability of the middle class, has continued its current trend from Obama 2009 until today.

Hooray for Strongman Trump! Making America Great Again because the stock market is continuing the trend of the past 9 years. What a hero!

hUVunVT.png

http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

Oh, and here's by President. So far, Strongman Trump has kept up with Obama for an entire year. What a personal accomplishment by Strongman Trump:

6eol3UA.png

We'll just have to wait and see how the next 7 years of Strongman Trump's presidency fares.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The stock market, a measure of how much stock is worth, not particularly well-suited for measuring the growth and stability of the middle class, has continued its current trend from Obama 2009 until today.

Hooray for Strongman Trump! Making America Great Again because the stock market is continuing the trend of the past 9 years. What a hero!

hUVunVT.png

http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

Oh, and here's by President. So far, Strongman Trump has kept up with Obama for an entire year. What a personal accomplishment by Strongman Trump:

6eol3UA.png

We'll just have to wait and see how the next 7 years of Strongman Trump's presidency fares.

It has been clearly stated by myself and others that things did well under Obama, no complaints at all to his performance when it comes to the stock market, especially considering how bad things were when he took the reigns from GW. Things are continuing to do well under Trump, and I think will only continue to do so. Most of this forum cannot handle any kind of positive comment towards Trump.

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
It has been clearly stated by myself and others that things did well under Obama, no complaints at all to his performance when it comes to the stock market, especially considering how bad things were when he took the reigns from GW. Things are continuing to do well under Trump, and I think will only continue to do so. Most of this forum cannot handle any kind of positive comment towards Trump.

I don't think it's a matter of the man in office, but simply the economic cycles. We're overdue for a crash/reset and it likely occurs no matter who's running the show.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Look at the charts. The market was on a slow climb under Obama, but immediately struck a much sharper arc under Trump. My own 401k is up 23% for 2017. Normally I too would expect a correction since the stock market is largely driven by perception and easily spooked, but this time we actually do have historic economic growth underpinning the market. Of course, if it looks like the Dems will take the House, we’ll have a possibly severe correction as investors seek to lock in gains, but unless there’s some severe economic hit, I’m guessing we are fine until we near that time.

you were saying?

Dow drops more than 650 points, logs worst week in two years

Jan 25, 2011
Keep an eye on treasury yields. They keep going up at this rate and hit 3% this will come down hard I suspect. Up to 2.84 today.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Keep an eye on treasury yields. They keep going up at this rate and hit 3% this will come down hard I suspect. Up to 2.84 today.

Do I have time to change my 401k plan~ I can't afford to jump off a high building or work for another 10 years.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Hmm, you mean borrowing money to give trillions in tax cuts to corporations isn't free? Someone has to pay it back with interest ? Oops.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
As stated earlier in this thread Trumps first calendar year in office, the Dow had risen from 19,827.3 to apx 26,000 31%.

Under Obama, the Dow increased from 7,949.1 to 10,572 — a rise of 33%

Under Obama the stock market rose 149%.

The stock market would have to rise from 19,827 to 49,500 for Trump to have a 149% increase.

So nope, the stock market will never be as good under Trump as it was Obama. The rich are cashing in their profits now while the peons 401K's take the hit...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
some of the crazy on facebook think this is because the fed is raising interest rates. So stupid.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Short analysis by Krugman.

Basically, too early to freak out, but there are concerning signs in the data that points to a low growth future.

Productivity gains have been small, and wage growth is showing we are at full employment.

010218krugman2-master675.png

So that means there may be little slack in the economy for growth. Also increases likelihood of more interest rate rises. Ergo, not a great day for the markets.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
To add,
Whatever bump we may get from increased consumer spending due to tax cuts maybe completely negated by higher % rates.

Compounding that, the massive deficit Trump will be running (~1T/yr) may also push rates higher.

Slower growth will result in smaller tax receipts, and even more debt.

They have truly bet the house on the tax cuts, and they are coming at an incredibly poor time to have much effect.

If the markets are shit this year, the 2018 midterms will be a bloodbath.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009

Correlation isn't causation. Good luck proving what policies Trump has enacted that have led to this growth.

Because data.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
BTW, my 401k has gone up almost 14% over Trump's first year. I hope all of you are having good returns as well.

Because if there is one thing that matters, its short term 401k performance.

Zee straws, where are zey?

14%? You managed to grow at half the pace of the market? Damn, you are slow.

Save all of that $85, you are going to need it with poor investment growth like that.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
To add,
Whatever bump we may get from increased consumer spending due to tax cuts maybe completely negated by higher % rates.

Compounding that, the massive deficit Trump will be running (~1T/yr) may also push rates higher.

Slower growth will result in smaller tax receipts, and even more debt.

They have truly bet the house on the tax cuts, and they are coming at an incredibly poor time to have much effect.

If the markets are shit this year, the 2018 midterms will be a bloodbath.

That's my thinking. Trump apologists always hang their hat on market numbers, no matter how hateful and destructive his other policies are. If the self-proclaimed billionaire can't prevent an economic downturn (or actively contributes to it), he has nothing. The consequences of that downturn would suck, but it could mean the Dems retaking both sides of Congress and bringing back some semblance of adult government.