Trump only builds the BESTEST walls...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
3 Amigos was the singing Xmas bush. About the only thing that was actually funny in that movie.

source.gif

anyway, it was Blazing Saddles where they built the fake town for Slim Pickens' bandits to ransack. ...based on, what was that Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western, High Plains Drifter or somesuch?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
source.gif

anyway, it was Blazing Saddles where they built the fake town for Slim Pickens' bandits to ransack. ...based on, what was that Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western, High Plains Drifter or somesuch?

In High Plains Drifter, Clint made them paint the town red. He changed the town limit sign to read "Hell"

HighPlainsDrifter_pic3.jpg

Also, High Plains Drifter is not a spaghetti western. Made in USA, directed by Clint himself.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not to be left out of the action another element has made building the wall problematic and even more useless:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immi...11ea-bb7b-265f4554af6d_story.html?arc404=true

Trump’s border wall, vulnerable to flash floods, needs large storm gates left open for months

President Trump’s border wall likely will require the installation of hundreds of storm gates to prevent flash floods from undermining or knocking it over, gates that must be left open for months every summer during “monsoon season” in the desert, according to U.S. border officials, agents and engineers familiar with the plans.

The open, unmanned gates in remote areas already have allowed for the easy entry of smugglers and migrants into the United States.

At locations along the U.S. southern border where such gates already are in operation, Border Patrol agents must manually raise them every year before the arrival of the summer thunderstorms that convert riverbeds into raging torrents that carry massive amounts of water and debris, including sediment, rocks, tree limbs and vegetation. Trump’s wall, which features 30-foot metal bollards spaced four inches apart, effectively acts as a sewer grate that traps the debris; when clogged, the barriers cannot withstand the power of the runoff.

Because the gates typically are located in isolated areas that lack electricity, they cannot be operated from afar. That requires the Border Patrol to leave the gates open for months, increasing the need for U.S. agents to monitor the sites because smugglers and other border-crossers can enter through the large gaps and advance northward following stream channels and narrow canyons to avoid detection.

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 4.52.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 4.52.31 PM.png

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Looks like we're need another wall behind that wall as back up. Winning!

This cracks me up as I got teased for wondering about 'plow winds' or gales folding the wall right over.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So it looks like Trump miscalculated wind load or didn't look at the soils report before designing the wall. I think he should be barred from designing any future public works project.

Reactions: zinfamous

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
So it looks like Trump miscalculated wind load or didn't look at the soils report before designing the wall. I think he should be barred from designing any future public works project.

- Its almost like... sometimes things are they way that they are because that's how they need to be.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

If only there was some kind of way to support the wall while the concrete cured. Gee...I wonder if some kind of bracing might have helped?

I know I'm certainly not geenyus enough to be able to stand a stud wall on its own without some kind of temporary bracing until I get other walls tied in.

I did tilt-up building for a while. (Quit when the contractor kept having very preventable accidents) Even they knew enough to brace walls...

0914-ci-4-300x225.jpg

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The big beautiful wall is being routinely defeated with a few bucks of rebar. lol.

The ladders appear to be made with two poles of 3/8-inch rebar and four thinner poles, outfitted with steps and bent over at the end in a U, to hook on the top of the wall. It's the sort of cubed rebar support structure used in construction in Mexico, called castillo.

Six meters of castillo costs 99 pesos, or about $5.30, at the Hágalo — or Do It Yourself — True Value hardware store in Juárez. There is no indication that smugglers are shopping at that store in particular.

Romero said the rebar ladders started turning up in large numbers in the El Paso sector last year in May, around the time that construction of the most recent replacement wall finished downtown. They've been a go-to method for scaling the fence in the urban footprint since.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/n...flage-ladder-to-cross-border-wall/4760798002/

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Odd no one thought of that before the wall.

ohh that’s right everyone with a functioning brain thought of this

Lets not forget the tunnels too!

Jan. 30, 2020, 11:04 AM CST
By Associated Press
SAN DIEGO — U.S. authorities this week announced the discovery of the longest smuggling tunnel ever found on the Southwest border, stretching more than three-quarters of a mile from an industrial site in Tijuana, Mexico, to the San Diego area.
The tunnel featured an extensive rail cart system, forced air ventilation, high voltage electrical cables and panels, an elevator at the tunnel entrance and a drainage system.

While there were no arrests, no drugs found at the site and no confirmed exit point in the U.S., the length — more than 14 football fields — stunned authorities.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
An update on a non-WH bunker protecting wall...

So billions spent on something everybody said wouldn't work and now they need new ideas.

Brain genius president also wants to paint it black too for an extra 500M even though that is pointless because...gloves.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
An update on a non-WH bunker protecting wall...

So billions spent on something everybody said wouldn't work and now they need new ideas.

Brain genius president also wants to paint it black too for an extra 500M even though that is pointless because...gloves.

It's gonna be great if (and hopefully when) Trump is voted out in November and what little has been constructed of the wall is either torn down or left to flounder. A reflection of Trump's legacy of lies and failure.

I can't help but think of the poem Ozymandias: "look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

Reactions: FaaR and zinfamous

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's gonna be great if (and hopefully when) Trump is voted out in November and what little has been constructed of the wall is either torn down or left to flounder. A reflection of Trump's legacy of lies and failure.

I can't help but think of the poem Ozymandias: "look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

When he dies the name will be taken off all his properties, probably by his kids or the creditors that take them back after default.

Reactions: zinfamous