News Trump: Mar-a-Lago just raided by FBI

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Sounds like he’s already blowing the whistle...

"These are dark times for our Nation, as my beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents."

That language seems to describe the work of enemy combatants.

OT, but that house is fugly and tacky AF.

All the helo shots flying around for the news, and all that impresses me is what a great fing twat you'd have to be to live in a s house like that.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There is also the possibility Trump wanted to be raided.

He lets a birdie know he had some classified documents(something maybe not significant that would blow over), the FBI raids, Trump uses this opportunity to spin and launch his campaign.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks like that. Maybe I can stop worrying I’ll be the only one in the asylum.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
yeah but this current SCOTUS already doesn't care about actual constitutional precedent so...eh, ....oh.

yeah. fucking ghouls, all the way down!

I'm still rolling heavy on the need for some serious Mitch/Lindsey/Tucker/Mercer/Koch Kompromat that will turn up in little Trump's safe, or whatever the fuck is going on.

It's really the only way at this point. No turning back if you ask me, fellow humans: Johnny Red gonna start shooting in probably 5 days if this isn't figured out, and quick.

Any documents seized that doesn’t relate to the warrant has to be returned. So this is wishful thinking. And revenge FBI searches definitely happening next Repugican POTUS.

So what is this all going to amount to? Some documentation mishandling? Are the optics worth whatever political/social/violent fallout that comes from it?

Or is the whole "raid" thing overblown and the FBI was simply retrieving over due books and that's all that will ever come of it? The whole thing seems weird.

Sure, why not? Tax evasion took down Capone. The orange monkey violating the presidential records act, while I personally don’t see this resulting in a jail sentence, it’s enough to disqualify him for 2024.

And no matter how much he declares this is a witch hunt, clear cut case of is he guilty here. Did he remove property of the United States Jan 2021? Yes. When confronted, sure some stuff got confiscated. But when confirmed there are still others missing items and I’m assuming more demands to return them have gone unfulfilled. He complains that this could have been handled differently. Yeah sure orange baby, return then love letters from Kim Jong Un, and none of this would still matter.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I'll wait and see.
Of course you will, because it's all just so questionable. It isn't like he was storing emails on a private server, amirite? :rolleyes:
I don't think any reasonable person doubts he broke the law for a second.
Too bad so many people insist on being unreasonable.
Trump doesn’t even meet the minimum requirement of being a decent human being. You either couldn’t see it or refused to see it
He still refuses to see it; in full denial mode to this day.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What I find most interesting in this whole saga is speculating on what records Trump kept. The #1 and #2 threads on this board right now are Trump being raided for retaining records and Trump frantically flushing records down the toilet. Trump has consistently shown to be someone who does not keep records, and operates more like a mafia don in suggesting others to do his bidding rather than creating an organized conspiracy. This leads me to believe that he would only retain (rather than destroy) certain things. Most likely, I think they would be things of ongoing value. If he merely didn't want others to see them, he would destroy them. So my mind goes to documents which could be used for leverage/blackmail against others. The other possibility, which I find less likely in observing Trump's character but still possible, would be things that are valuable in the form of trophies.

Otherwise, the sickening thing here is the number of sycophants who have jumped to further degrade our institutions in admonishing the FBI. This is a given for the likes of MTG, but not for those whose office hasn't always been tethered to Trump.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not sure if I'd say "very high," as it's good to be cautious, but it's certainly a lot higher than zero.
I guess it depends on what someone means by very high but I think over 80%.

The AG himself certainly approved this raid and there is no way Garland is doing that unless he thinks he can justify it with an indictment. Now maybe he’s wrong and it turns out there’s no crime they can charge. It’s also possible (but unlikely) that they raided Trump’s house as part of a criminal investigation into someone else. Regardless Garland is 100% intending on an indictment here.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What I find most interesting in this whole saga is speculating on what records Trump kept. The #1 and #2 threads on this board right now are Trump being raided for retaining records and Trump frantically flushing records down the toilet. Trump has consistently shown to be someone who does not keep records, and operates more like a mafia don in suggesting others to do his bidding rather than creating an organized conspiracy. This leads me to believe that he would only retain (rather than destroy) certain things. Most likely, I think they would be things of ongoing value. If he merely didn't want others to see them, he would destroy them. So my mind goes to documents which could be used for leverage/blackmail against others. The other possibility, which I find less likely in observing Trump's character but still possible, would be things that are valuable in the form of trophies.

Otherwise, the sickening thing here is the number of sycophants who have jumped to further degrade our institutions in admonishing the FBI. This is a given for the likes of MTG, but not for those whose office hasn't always been tethered to Trump.
From the federal prosecutors and defense attorneys I am reading they say it is unlikely the FBI would have raided Trump’s house over document retention laws. It is highly likely to be related to more significant crimes.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
From the federal prosecutors and defense attorneys I am reading they say it is unlikely the FBI would have raided Trump’s house over document retention laws. It is highly likely to be related to more significant crimes.
Sure small crime to violate the presidential records act. But he raised his hand and took the pledge. He violated the law and the Piper going to collect.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sure small crime to violate the presidential records act. But he raised his hand and took the pledge. He violated the law and the Piper going to collect.
It’s not a small crime and he should pay the piper for it but what I’m saying is that there is probably more to the story.

Jan 25, 2011
There is no way the FBI would raid Trump’s house unless there was a very high probability of an indictment.
On this I'm inclined to disagree. I can't see them charging even if there were documents. The documents themselves need to be secured and I can see that being justification but I can't see them charging based on it even if there were some found.

Reactions: ivwshane

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You believe he committed treason. There is a vast difference between your belief and a conviction. Right now, it can be conclusively proven that Trump has not been convicted of any such thing. That could well change in the following months.
Not to go full Godwin, but Hilter and Stalin were never convicted in court either. So I guess your belief they did bad things isn't legitimate.

Meanwhile, you all have no problem with cops executing unarmed people on the streets.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Not to go full Godwin, but Hilter and Stalin were never convicted in court either. So I guess your belief they did bad things isn't legitimate.

Meanwhile, you all have no problem with cops executing unarmed people on the streets.
I wasn't aware that Hitler or Stalin were alive and well in the US.
For the official record, I have never stated that police should be allowed to execute people on the street.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11 and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Indeed, I just think this is a level or two above the usual... Fox is pushing CW here is it not? At a time where the constraints of society is at a bursting point ... Murdoch doubles down.. and then doubles down again.
I love pointing out to those idiots what Trump did is no different then a smash and grab and crime is their #1 issue.

What's left of their brains begins to short circuit