Trump Dr. Press Conference - Does anyone have a link to a similar one for Obama?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You said the important part was how the press was treating this.

Which is it?

The point of this thread is how the press is treating Trump vs. Obama. What Trump said is meaningless in any practical sense, yet that's your excuse for such a disparity in coverage... because Trump said he'd be healthiest? That simply isn't what matters for an elected official, finishing out his term and being able to do so to 100% of what is expected is what is important. Framing this and "Trump said...!" is a weak attempt at diverting from the very obvious double standard displayed here.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
http://www.idph.state.il.us/heartstroke/cvd_aa_fs.htm

"African-American men are especially at risk for dying from CVD. The age-adjusted mortality rate for African American men is 1,023.4/100,000, higher than any other race-gender group."

"African-American women die of heart disease at 1.4 times the rate of white women. African-American men die of heart disease at 1.3 times the rate of white men.*"

https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/heartdisease-stroke/index.html

"Blacks are nearly twice as likely as whites to die from preventable heart disease and stroke."

I don't know why this is an argument or a point of contention? I thought it was fairly well known that African Americans suffer from heart disease at a higher rate than other races. Now, add smoking to that. You guys are trying to water this down.

Trump is high risk, but you need to stop pretending Obama wasn't. But the press only went wild for one of their doctors as far as I can tell. Pretty telling.

Do you really have such obvious, utter contempt for your chosen leaders, your friends and yourself, that it has come down to repeatedly handwaving away explicit lies and corruption and turning around and pointing at "the others!" and their fantasy problems that you must construct to keep yourself barely verbal?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
The point of this thread is how the press is treating Trump vs. Obama. What Trump said is meaningless in any practical sense, yet that's your excuse for such a disparity in coverage... because Trump said he'd be healthiest? That simply isn't what matters for an elected official, finishing out his term and being able to do so to 100% of what is expected is what is important. Framing this and "Trump said...!" is a weak attempt at diverting from the very obvious double standard displayed here.
The press has a responsibility to report on and follow up on anything the president of the united states says. Yes.

Are you fucking kidding right now?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
1) I know exactly what I posted and it shows exactly what I was looking for. I was asked to provide something that shows Obama would be "high risk". I don't know why this is disputed so fervently on this site... a black male that smokes is at higher risk of heart disease and of dying than the general population.

It did not even remotely show what you are looking for unless you are delusional, an idiot, or a liar. What it showed was that Trump is at much, much higher risk of death by heart attack than Obama was at an equivalent point in his presidency. Since you were wondering why the press did not treat the two the same, there's your answer. I don't know why anyone would keep trying to argue such a silly idea.

As for Obama's 'high risk' status (that you clearly just made up), Obama was both fitter and more active than the average person, something you did not take into account. If you only take into account the negatives and not the positives you are presenting a deceptive picture. In this case the reason why is clear.

2) The press is treating these two differently, so are the leftists. Can you find any such press conference where Obama's doctors were hounded over his high risk lifestyle?

I knew exactly what I posted, it was in a context you seem to be missing.

lol. Called it!

As already mentioned, Obama was at approximately 1/17th the risk of Trump. If the press decided to treat both the same they would be guilty of either professional misconduct or abject stupidity, similarly to how you are here. There is no rational cause for this. Also, just by the social security age actuarial tables Obama had about a 4% chance of dying in office while Trump has a 23% chance.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html#fn1

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Doctors absolutely do take risk associated with certain groups into consideration for their individual patients. While anyone can get nearly any disease, there is higher prevalence for certain ailments in different demographics, and any good doctor will consider that if the risk is significant. A gay man, as an example, has a higher risk of some diseases than the general population. A female has a much higher rate of breast cancer than men, so that is a check women have as general wellness over a certain age that men do not have (and yes, men can and do get breast cancer, something like 10% of the total breast cancer population is men). This is an example that directly contradicts what you said.

Obama quite in 2011, so that means for three years as POTUS the press didn't hound his doctors about it. I guess that give Trump two more years of eating fish fillets before he has to quit to be as good as Obama?

It depends on the risks, and the problem is that you're conflating factors as if they're all the same and always as influential. Yes, of course breast cancer is more prevalent in women, for instance. However, the likelihood of heart disease is more complex, and it's dictated by factors that frequently manifest earlier in life. For example, three quarters of black men who suffer heart disease had high blood pressure by age 40. Also, there are social factors such as access to preventative health care. The higher mortality rates stem in part from typically worse-off economic conditions that lead black men to not only skip preventative care they can't afford, but to seek help from general practicioners rather than cardiologists. Obama's four physical exams showed him to be normal, and as a politician he'd clearly had access to top-notch health care for a while.

The press didn't hound Obama's doctors about his smoking because he didn't try to hide it. Trump lied about his health going in, and has shown no indication of wanting to retract that lie; he is entirely deserving of the close scrutiny he's getting. If you make a claim that's clearly false, don't be surprised when people start asking questions.

Also, if Trump actually did eat responsibly, sleep decent hours and stop lazing around, you would probably see his overall health improve dramatically. The problem is that the likelihood of Trump even admitting that his behavior is bad, let alone doing something about it, is virtually nil.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I think the OP's shovel is about worn out. Can someone get him a new one? I don't see the digging ending anytime soon.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think the OP's shovel is about worn out. Can someone get him a new one? I don't see the digging ending anytime soon.

Yea, you guys got me. A middle aged African American that smokes, pretty much the highest risk demographic for heart disease, isn't a concern, no reason to question his doctor. An older man that eats fish fillets and drinks Diet Coke, now that's worth the press hammering and hammering. Did you even watch the video? The press is fundamentally broken today.

Feb 4, 2009
Yea, you guys got me. A middle aged African American that smokes, pretty much the highest risk demographic for heart disease, isn't a concern, no reason to question his doctor. An older man that eats fish fillets and drinks Diet Coke, now that's worth the press hammering and hammering. Did you even watch the video? The press is fundamentally broken today.

Did you look at anything Fiskemy posted, anything at all?

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
You really need to learn to understand what you read before you try to join in these types of debates. While a middle aged African American that smokes is at an elevated risk compared to the general public for heart disease, it in no way constitutes the highest risk demographic. You do realize that regularly eating fast food is just as bad for your health as smoking, right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You are a liar. By your own link Trump’s demographic is at exponentially higher risk.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You really need to learn to understand what you read before you try to join in these types of debates. While a middle aged African American that smokes is at an elevated risk compared to the general public for heart disease, it in no way constitutes the highest risk demographic. You do realize that regularly eating fast food is just as bad for your health as smoking, right?

Wonder if the press knows that, because they only went full retard over Trump. And you're telling me they were both doing equally dangerously high risk things to their body.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Are you forgetting the fact that Obama isn't African American? His ancestors were not slaves bred for working the fields. He comes from a different gene pool...Luo Kenyan on dad's side and English/Irish/Scott/Welsh on mom's side.

I think there was some report from ancestry.com that suggested Obama's mother may have had an African ancestor from way back in the 1600s (a man born in Africa) but that was never proven and still wouldn't make him African American.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Wonder if the press knows that, because they only went full retard over Trump. And you're telling me they were both doing equally dangerously high risk things to their body.
And only one claimed to be the healthiest.

The other acted like a President.

Feb 4, 2009

Lets simplify this subject, do you @SlowSpyder think that Trump is the most healthy President ever? Do you believe he is 6'3" 239lbs (that is 1.905 meters and 108.4KG for you Russian guys).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

this would be called jumping the shark, but that was already 5 or 6 months ago with you. Not sure what you're at now....jumping the rabid pangolin?

to explain: in this comment you are actually accusing the press of ignoring a secondary point of a "topical issue" that only you have already accused them of ignoring. You start with a default that they are corrupt for [insert daily slowpsyder fallacy here], then provide as additional evidence for ignoring that fantasy, a separate fallacy that is necessary for the first to be true.

you are so far lost in the woods that not even the pope riding a bear can find you.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I am not kidding. African American males have a high risk for heart disease, smoking compounds that. What is "occasionally" and what do you have to know how often he smoked? I don't know why you guys are trying to water this down, that is high risk. I don't care what Obama or Trump does, but the press has a very clear double standard here.

Link to Obama lying about his weight and his doctor saying he's the healthiest president ever in addition to being genetically superior.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Alright, now lets try to think about several variables at a time. One smokes, is middle aged, and exercises regularly. Another eats fast food regularly, gets no exercise, and is over 70. Are you claiming those are both in comparable risk pools? Because if you are, you are either ignorant or lying.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I would like to note, I agree its stupid for the press to focus on Trump's physical health so much. Having said that, Trump behaves more like a crazy celebrity than he does like a politician, so I'm not surprised when the press treats him more like a crazy celebrity than a politician.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Did it occur to you Trump didn't have to have a press conference? He just could have released the numbers. You are bitching about Trump doing something that makes news.

Grow the fuck up

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I would like to note, I agree its stupid for the press to focus on Trump's physical health so much. Having said that, Trump behaves more like a crazy celebrity than he does like a politician, so I'm not surprised when the press treats him more like a crazy celebrity than a politician.
Well I think it's more that there are serious concerns that he is not healthy both mentally and physically, something not really present witj recent presidents. He also is like extremely old for a president isn't he which raises the concern even more.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
Obama was young and thin.

Even Bush(W) was thin and fit.

Trump is an old fat person who says crazy things on a regular basis. Perhaps thats why people are curious.

Nov 25, 2013
Dr. Eric Topol is full of crap. If that is the most alarming thing about his health then it is nothing much to worry about. LDL at 143 is high, but not extremely high. 10 mg of Crestor is about as low of a dose as you can get. there is one dose lower 5 mg.

From the chart here:
https://medlineplus.gov/magazine/issues/summer12/articles/summer12pg6-7.html
That is only borderline high. 130-159 mg/dL Borderline high
Crestor comes in four dosages. Trump is taking the next to lowest dose available.
CRESTOR. CRESTOR® (rosuvastatin calcium) is available in 4 doses: 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, and 40 mg.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your medical degree from?