Trump/DOD laying plans for deploying conventional forces to Northen Syria

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2005
Im obviously out of the loop here.
I'm guessing, but I think I'm right, lemme know Hal
HAL9000.svg

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Is this before we send troops into Mexico, China, Iran and N. Korea? I'm guessing the Russians are making Trump send in US troops instead of their own.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Is this before we send troops into Mexico, China, Iran and N. Korea? I'm guessing the Russians are making Trump send in US troops instead of their own.

Cowards are pushing for war on behalf of corporate interests. War is good for the ruling class. And is good for Israel's dominance in the region.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How about we ask all the Muslims in the USA to form their own battallions and we train them all together and ask the Muslims to go fight for their fellow Muslims.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
It could be three reasons.

1. Deflection from Russian investigations.

2. Deflection from Russian investigations.

3. And its just the deflection from Russian investigations.

BTW we need a name for it like Lynngate, Liegate, Whatabunchoffuckupsgate?

Reactions: IronWing

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It could be three reasons.

1. Deflection from Russian investigations.

2. Deflection from Russian investigations.

3. And its just the deflection from Russian investigations.

BTW we need a name for it like Lynngate, Liegate, Whatabunchoffuckupsgate?
Peepeetapegate?
Makewatergate?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
LMAO!!! So much hysteria over "might" or "may" specially considering that there are already US troops in Syria. One serviceman died 2 weeks after the election yet I don't remember any outrage over the loss of this soldier's life.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Are there any actual sources for this yet? The only source I've seen on this is fake news CNN with the articles saying "one defense source told CNN". Any actual legitimate sources that are not just "resist Trump" morons?

Not that I think this is worth paying attention to yet, but I assume you are waiting for a breitbart or infowars link before you'll believe it?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I dont see what the USA has to gain from this.

Only the Medical supply comanies, the arms manufacturers, the funeral directors, and the body bag manufacturers will receive any gain from this action. Syria has never been our ally and they often routed arms and missiles and rockets through their country to palestine to attack Isreal. I see no reason to help them.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This could be something as innocent as a contingency plan (I'm sure the Pentagon has some sort of plans to invade anywhere in the world, like London, regardless of how unlikely) or on the other end of the spectrum, it could be something requested by Putin to help protect Russia's expansionist plans in the Middle East (and it's deep water port in Syria).

I can't see Congress authorizing ground troops in Syria at this stage-Obama asked them years ago to decide on this and they have ducked it ever since.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't favor American troops on the ground and American lives in danger unless it is absolutely vital for the interests of our country. What happens there in Syria isn't vital to the US. Lobbing some rockets or bombing some bad guys is fine, but I don't favor American boots on the ground.
Well said. Besides, we already set that nation on fire, let the Russians put it out. We shouldn't have to do everything. :D

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This could be something as innocent as a contingency plan (I'm sure the Pentagon has some sort of plans to invade anywhere in the world, like London, regardless of how unlikely) or on the other end of the spectrum, it could be something requested by Putin to help protect Russia's expansionist plans in the Middle East (and it's deep water port in Syria).

I can't see Congress authorizing ground troops in Syria at this stage-Obama asked them years ago to decide on this and they have ducked it ever since.
Um, Congress didn't duck it, they told him no. After his ill-conceived red line was crossed. By one side or the other.

EDIT: Trump very publicly ordered the Pentagon to draw up a plan for defeating ISIS. So yes, they are considering recommending several options, one or more of which would involve boots on the ground in Syria.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Looks like he's gearing up to take on ISIS...as he promised.

Umfortuenlty it wouldn' be him it will be young men who will die for his ego. Will you be volunteering?
I love how leaders like Trump who never served their country love to send young men to war.
4 years of collage deferment and one for bad feet LOL for Trump to get out of the draft.

Nov 30, 2006
Which you think is irresponsible warmongering, right?
Although it's orders of magnitude more justified than what we did in Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan, I do not support it. I'm horrified at seeing our young men and women come home emotionally/physically maimed or in body bags...and am extremely repulsed by the magnitude of human suffering we've directly caused to others.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Although it's orders of magnitude more justified than what we did in Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan, I do not support it. I'm horrified at seeing our young men and women come home emotionally/physically maimed or in body bags...and am extremely repulsed by the magnitude of human suffering we've directly caused to others.

What do you think?

I don't agree that it's more justified than our actions elsewhere, but I'm glad to see you oppose warmongering of this type. My guess is that by virtue of his foreign policy posture Trump will feel the need to follow through on his threats sooner or later and so it's important to have bipartisan opposition to foolishness like this.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 30, 2006
I don't agree that it's more justified than our actions elsewhere, but I'm glad to see you oppose warmongering of this type. My guess is that by virtue of his foreign policy posture Trump will feel the need to follow through on his threats sooner or later and so it's important to have bipartisan opposition to foolishness like this.
War Powers Act...Obama abused it in Libya and Syria...and Trump will likely do the same in Syria.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Umfortuenlty it wouldn' be him it will be young men who will die for his ego. Will you be volunteering?
I love how leaders like Trump who never served their country love to send young men to war.
4 years of collage deferment and one for bad feet LOL for Trump to get out of the draft.

So just to be clear, you think only people who have served can lead the country and make decisions that result in young men (and women by the way) putting their lives on the line? You do realize that we have volunteer armed forces right, nobody made anyone sign up, those are men and women knowingly taking that risk in service of their country.

Were you as concerned when obummer put lives on the line, what exactly was his service record? What about old slick willie, what was his service record again? And on and on and on.