Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
They aren't just dragging their heels. They're outright refusing to. Sen. Rand Paul straight out said, "It makes no sense" for Republicans to investigate Republicans. How about that? Party before country.
That is really disappointing of Rand Paul... I always thought of him as one of the more principled republicans, I did not agree on all of the issues with him, but I did respect the guy. Looks like I was wrong in my judgement. Makes me sad.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
That is really disappointing of Rand Paul... I always thought of him as one of the more principled republicans, I did not agree on all of the issues with him, but I did respect the guy. Looks like I was wrong in my judgement. Makes me sad.

He's not gaining many supporters in his state. He's shut down nearly all of his offices, none of them are staffed, and you can't leave any messages. I had friends that traveled close to two hours to his office in Bowling Green (that place where the Massacre happened) and ended up taping complaints to the office door that was locked.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sorry, but I'm not going to engage in any discussions regarding your tin-foil hat conspiracy theories.

with this comment, you are actually refusing to address the heart of the very real security concerns that were raised. No one is saying that this is explicitly what is going on--hence the call for an investigation.

You supported an investigation, earlier. This presupposes that you understand the reasons for such an investigation: to clear up the possibility that "a tin-foil hat conspiracy" is not on-going, and to iron out any further, legitimate, security concerns or otherwise--and now you refuse to engage in such a discussion?

I daresay that you are truly clueless as to what you honestly believe.

Nov 30, 2006
with this comment, you are actually refusing to address the heart of the very real security concerns that were raised. No one is saying that this is explicitly what is going on--hence the call for an investigation.

You supported an investigation, earlier. This presupposes that you understand the reasons for such an investigation: to clear up the possibility that "a tin-foil hat conspiracy" is not on-going, and to iron out any further, legitimate, security concerns or otherwise--and now you refuse to engage in such a discussion?

I daresay that you are truly clueless as to what you honestly believe.
I want no part of the hysteria and all the wild and irresponsible speculation. I just want to get to the facts of the matter from A to Z. I don't see how anyone who's reasonably rational can perceive this position as being unreasonable or "clueless".

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sweeping Trump's Russian connections under the rug is a reasonable approach that anyone who is reasonably rational must support. It's only reasonable. After all, Republican don't investigate Republicans.

Reactions: jackstar7

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I want no part of the hysteria and all the wild and irresponsible speculation. I just want to get to the facts of the matter from A to Z. I don't see how anyone who's reasonably rational can perceive this position as being unreasonable or "clueless".

Wow. Mr. Louis Lerner, Benghazi and Hillary Email. Gotcha.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

right, but you are essentially pre-judging the findings of an investigation. You "want to get to the heart of the matter" without "engaging in hysteria."

The question I proposed is, what if an independent investigation did find strong financial obligations, conversations and long ties to Russian intelligence and Russian administration, collusion with the 2016 campaign? What then? You've both called for a proper investigation, while outright dismissing a certain series of potential findings. and look--none of that is irrational: these were sourced accusations that go back several years.

This is why republicans like you are generally the pariahs of honest discourse: you fail to understand that the point of an investigation is to actually clear the facts, not to find only the facts that square with your preconceived notions. You aren't interested in the truth: hence 8+ Ben Gazi investigations and countless email committees. If one committee doesn't find what you want--then start another! No one takes you serious, and this is why. It colors the GOP assessment of the scientific method: if the data doesn't tell me what I want, then it's bad! BAD! Need someone else to tell me data that I want! WAHHH!

You are wholly dishonest with your intentions, and you boldly proclaim this attitude with every post. Until republicans get their heads out of their shared, collective asses, you will continue to fight this "unwarranted harassment" that you somehow feel that you don't deserve. To stop "being the victim," you all need to start acting like honest adults in the public sphere.

Reactions: Grooveriding

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
zinfamous: Watergate was 100% driven by the media-specifically Woodward and Bernstein at the Washington Post-for months before Congress even started investigations. The Donald is yet again channeling Nixon with his repeated attacks on the media-as a matter of fact that's where the term "main stream media" first started getting bandied about as a derogatory term. The GOP has been playing that tune ever since then.

The way I view it our democratic institutions and the balance of power are in total disarray presently. Congress will act as a rubber stamp for Trump as long as they get what they want. As Rand Paul said recently Republicans don't investigate Republicans.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for effectively rationalizing the current hysteria while cluelessly revealing your own hypocrisy regarding such matters...much appreciated.

Nah, I think you cluelessly revealed your own hypocrisy. In all the "scandals" you breathlessly droned on about in this forum any reasonable person would have concluded that there was no scandal (as evidenced by the conclusion of the hearings) and no there there. In this situation, there is enough circumstantial evidence to give any Rational non partisan hack shills. But somehow you don't care.

Again, how many Benghazi hearings were there compared to 9/11 hearings?

Nov 30, 2006
right, but you are essentially pre-judging the findings of an investigation. You "want to get to the heart of the matter" without "engaging in hysteria."

The question I proposed is, what if an independent investigation did find strong financial obligations, conversations and long ties to Russian intelligence and Russian administration, collusion with the 2016 campaign? What then? You've both called for a proper investigation, while outright dismissing a certain series of potential findings. and look--none of that is irrational: these were sourced accusations that go back several years.

This is why republicans like you are generally the pariahs of honest discourse: you fail to understand that the point of an investigation is to actually clear the facts, not to find only the facts that square with your preconceived notions. You aren't interested in the truth: hence 8+ Ben Gazi investigations and countless email committees. If one committee doesn't find what you want--then start another! No one takes you serious, and this is why. It colors the GOP assessment of the scientific method: if the data doesn't tell me what I want, then it's bad! BAD! Need someone else to tell me data that I want! WAHHH!

You are wholly dishonest with your intentions, and you boldly proclaim this attitude with every post. Until republicans get their heads out of their shared, collective asses, you will continue to fight this "unwarranted harassment" that you somehow feel that you don't deserve. To stop "being the victim," you all need to start acting like honest adults in the public sphere.
Despite what you say...I've been completely honest here. If you want to engage in wild speculation and "what if" scenarios...go for it...but I already told you that I'm not playing that game and don't understand why you persist....I'm not going to speculate on all the potential outcomes of an investigation. That said, I do see some potential concerns here that may prove to be legitimate or turn out to be nothing at all....that's why I support an investigation...I want to know one way or the other....especially since we have very few actual facts. But please don't expect me to indulge in speculation and your hysteria...hell we now have Democratic leaders and even some MSM outlets now comparing this to 9/11 and Watergate...this is insanity.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
Nah, I think you cluelessly revealed your own hypocrisy. In all the "scandals" you breathlessly droned on about in this forum any reasonable person would have concluded that there was no scandal (as evidenced by the conclusion of the hearings) and no there there. In this situation, there is enough circumstantial evidence to give any Rational non partisan hack shills. But somehow you don't care.

Again, how many Benghazi hearings were there compared to 9/11 hearings?
I want an investigation and yet you somehow twist this into I don't care. WTF? I find your "logic" to be quite perverse.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I want an investigation and yet you somehow twist this into I don't care. WTF? I find your "logic" to be quite perverse.

The real story here isn't so much about Flynn as it is about having at least 9 people in our intelligence community who have committed a felony.

What exactly is the crime here?

Just how was our national security and foreign policy compromised? Facts please.

'Who, me?'

Reactions: Victorian Gray

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
And I wanted to get to the facts of those matters as well. You're an idiot...just saying.

Idiot? (And btw you started with the name calling). I'm sorry, the idiot is the person who voted and continues to shill for a lying megalomaniac like Trump. Given everything you've seen this first month, are you proud of yourself and the vote you cast? Let me take that back.. Of course you are because not being proud of it would probably give you a brain aneurysm as you tried to process how daft you really are to have been conned by him to have believed anything he told you.

Nov 30, 2006
Idiot? (And btw you started with the name calling). I'm sorry, the idiot is the person who voted and continues to shill for a lying megalomaniac like Trump. Given everything you've seen this first month, are you proud of yourself and the vote you cast? Let me take that back.. Of course you are because not being proud of it would probably give you a brain aneurysm as you tried to process how daft you really are to have been conned by him to have believed anything he told you.
I didn't vote for Trump...facts were never your strong suit.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
For the record, I have a very low opinion of you as well. But thanks for sharing.

You've already shown everybody here how much of an obtuse fool you are. Your opinion of me and others doesn't really hold any weight when you're constantly lying, twisting and purposely misleading not only yourself but others too -- as if you think they are just as stupid as you. Even when some of the more patient members go out of their ways to explain your mishaps, you still persist with your dumb act as if no matter how objective and to-the-point their rebuttals are, you're always correct. Is this your way of suppressing that large amount of cognitive dissonance you're trying to deal with? You're an absolute joke.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
zinfamous: Watergate was 100% driven by the media-specifically Woodward and Bernstein at the Washington Post-for months before Congress even started investigations. The Donald is yet again channeling Nixon with his repeated attacks on the media-as a matter of fact that's where the term "main stream media" first started getting bandied about as a derogatory term. The GOP has been playing that tune ever since then.

The way I view it our democratic institutions and the balance of power are in total disarray presently. Congress will act as a rubber stamp for Trump as long as they get what they want. As Rand Paul said recently Republicans don't investigate Republicans.

Yes, the media had a huge hand in Watergate with the Post, but as I recall, W&B did the real work of investigation and source-vetting and months and months before they first went public, right? My general critique is not about the sourcing here, or being public (because, frankly--I think they have little choice), but insuring that the sourcing is accurate and when the shit hits the fan (this is going after an administration, after all), they don't have weak-kneed sources that suddenly refuse to testify, back out, or simply poor information from compromised individuals.

And maybe that work has been done: Hell, we've been privy to such suggestions from those close to these people and from public financial documents and some smatterings of court testimony, so it's not like this all became "a thing" over the last 2 weeks. ...I'm just leery of the way the 24-hour news cycle train has handled such stories over the last several years. Headlines and hysteria above substance much of the time.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I didn't vote for Trump...facts were never your strong suit.

That's even worse. I thought you were trolling for him because you voted for him. So you're just trolling for a degenerate because...? Doesn't seem like intelligence is your strong suit.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
That's even worse. I thought you were trolling for him because you voted for him. So you're just trolling for a degenerate because...? Doesn't seem like intelligence is your strong suit.
He's probably lying; just look at his post history where he is constantly on a Defend-Trump-crusade spouting out alt-facts like a good muppet that he is. When it's made clear to people like DSF that their emperor is incredibly stupid, they raise their hands and look around puzzled. "We didn't vote for him," is their next go-to line since now they can't shift blame on Hillary or the people who voted Democrat. They will never take responsibility for their own actions.

Nov 30, 2006
He's probably lying; just look at his post history where he is constantly on a Defend-Trump-crusade spouting out alt-facts like a good muppet that he is. When it's made clear to people like DSF that their emperor is incredibly stupid, they raise their hands and look around puzzled. "We didn't vote for him," is their next go-to line since now they can't shift blame on Hillary or the people who voted Democrat. They will never take responsibility for their own actions.
I didn't vote for him. Your mental gyrations and perverse alternate reality is truly amazing to behold...did the lobotomy hurt much?