Trump Approval Rating Watch thread.

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2005
I think he could nuke North Korea and Iran without much movement on those numbers. His base are not familiar with the concept of self-preservation.
It's like he could back a candidate who has very strong evidence against him that proves he's a pedophile and they still wouldn't care, but that could never happen.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Just tied his all time low of 37.4 on the RCP average.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

Not sure what the drop is for this time? Tax reform that wasn't as middle class as he said it would be?

Just look at it as not being a drop at all. The average has been fluctuating in a range of 37-39 for 6 months now. Given the error margins on polls, it's reasonable to assume that his approval rating is very close to static.

I don't think it's going to decline further unless we go into recession. On other hand, where it is isn't exactly all that great for Trump.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
They are Americans, that is the reason. From a young age they are taught that they can do no wrong, that the nation is based on only glory and greatness, that the US in their holy sacramount special greatness only dropped bombs to save people... (in reality, the same treaty of peace offered before the bombings was the one accepted by the US after the bombings, the Japanese never surrendered their emperor even though the propaganda in the US said it was a complete surrender afterwards, this is taught in schools to this day) or how the Pilgrims left England because they were oppressed when in reality they left because the were not allowed to oppress and burn people alive for not being of their faith in England.

Then there is the Civil war that the US fought gallantly because of oppression when in reality it had to do with England abolishing slavery in England and in all colonies and the American colony wanted their slaves to stay so they got French to fight for a reason that was a complete and utter lie...

Basically everything about American history that is taught and cherished is an outright lie.

But hey... 'murica! Drumph, Capitalism... Much intelligence, such thinking... hurr...

The Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings killed less than the firebombings. Tokyo and many other cities in Japan were already leveled.

I have no idea what you're babbling about in your 2nd paragraph.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Theres a small amount of good news in the world:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-percentage-americans-identifying-republican-013224684.html

I think it should be even lower, but whatever.

As mentioned previously by others here in this forum, the problem with those stats for the Repubs is that all it takes for those numbers to bump back up is one single event that threatens the nation, just like what happened to Bush after 9/11. His numbers went up into the high 80's. I wouldn't put it past Trump to purposely agitate some of our enemies enough for them to blow something(s) up here at home to create the same situation that Bush experienced.

It seems to me that Trump has a very powerful sense of self-preservation and that's a dangerous thing for a POTUS to have. I think he'd be willing to sacrifice a whole lot of lives in order to keep his job, what with him already of the mind that any and all Americans should be willing to sacrifice their lives for him simply because he is after all, THE leader. It wouldn't take much more pressure for him to take that leap as Mueller is just about ready to pin his ears on the deck and stuff those endless tangle of lies he's been spouting off back down his throat.

Trump is in a really bad place right now and it looks like it'll just get worse for him and it's mostly from his own doing. I hope he's man enough to do the right thing when it's time for him to leave office a bit earlier than he expected. I also hope his followers won't resort to violence if/when it happens.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Party id is generally considered the biggest predictor of how people will vote. In other words a dropping id is extremely mucho bad.

I'm not sure that's the case any more. I remember after T-Rump won, there was alot of debate that many people were embarrassed to show support for him in the polls but voted for him anyway. Not sure the same thing is happening in the case of party ID.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not sure that's the case any more. I remember after T-Rump won, there was alot of debate that many people were embarrassed to show support for him in the polls but voted for him anyway. Not sure the same thing is happening in the case of party ID.

Time will tell. I think at least some people who held their nose and voted for him were hoping not to live with the stench permanently. Now that hope is lost and the party is backing total nut jobs like Moore because Trump wills it we'll see how much stomach the moderate voters in the party really have.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Time will tell. I think at least some people who held their nose and voted for him were hoping not to live with the stench permanently. Now that hope is lost and the party is backing total nut jobs like Moore because Trump wills it we'll see how much stomach the moderate voters in the party really have.
I guess thats really the only way he could have got 62 million votes.

Obviously we dont have 62 million psychopaths in this country. The majority of them were hoping he would stop being a dick once he took office and would at least try to act like a President. Those people are probably very sad right now. its been 11 months and he's done nothing except get even worse. My mother is like that. Despite being a woman with some self-respect, she was a hardcore Trump supporter last year. Now she refuses to talk about politics at all.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
As mentioned previously by others here in this forum, the problem with those stats for the Repubs is that all it takes for those numbers to bump back up is one single event that threatens the nation, just like what happened to Bush after 9/11. His numbers went up into the high 80's. I wouldn't put it past Trump to purposely agitate some of our enemies enough for them to blow something(s) up here at home to create the same situation that Bush experienced.

It seems to me that Trump has a very powerful sense of self-preservation and that's a dangerous thing for a POTUS to have. I think he'd be willing to sacrifice a whole lot of lives in order to keep his job, what with him already of the mind that any and all Americans should be willing to sacrifice their lives for him simply because he is after all, THE leader. It wouldn't take much more pressure for him to take that leap as Mueller is just about ready to pin his ears on the deck and stuff those endless tangle of lies he's been spouting off back down his throat.

Trump is in a really bad place right now and it looks like it'll just get worse for him and it's mostly from his own doing. I hope he's man enough to do the right thing when it's time for him to leave office a bit earlier than he expected. I also hope his followers won't resort to violence if/when it happens.

You mean like officially recognizing Jerusalem as capital and moving the US embassy, against all US and international rational policy advice and understanding? Something like that?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I guess thats really the only way he could have got 62 million votes.

Obviously we dont have 62 million psychopaths in this country. The majority of them were hoping he would stop being a dick once he took office and would at least try to act like a President. Those people are probably very sad right now. its been 11 months and he's done nothing except get even worse. My mother is like that. Despite being a woman with some self-respect, she was a hardcore Trump supporter last year. Now she refuses to talk about politics at all.

AP news says a Nebraska RNC national committeewoman resigned over the party's Roy Moore support. Some amount of people are hitting their tolerance limit. We'll see how many that end up being.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
You mean like officially recognizing Jerusalem as capital and moving the US embassy, against all US and international rational policy advice and understanding? Something like that?

Exactly that. But I'm sure that's just for starters. Now that Trump has committed himself to this and knowing how he refuses to back down no matter how much damage he creates, he and Benjie must have some really ambitious moves planned out for the Palestinians. Stay tuned.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
From Monmouth:

32% Approve
56% Disapprove

Down from 40/49 in September

The decline in Trump's job rating has come much more from women - currently 24% approve to 68% disapprove - than from men - currently 40% to 44%. In September, Trump had a 36%-55% rating among women and a 44%-42% rating among men.

And in bad news for the GOP generic ballot is D+15

In a look ahead to 2018, Democrats currently hold a 15 point advantage on the generic Congress ballot. If the election for House of Representatives were held today, a majority (51%) of registered voters say they would vote for or lean toward voting for the Democratic candidate in their district compared to 36% who would support the Republican.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_US_121317/

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

It will be very interesting to see how many House/Senate incumbents up for election in 2018 will actually ask Trump to stump for them or endorse them. Very interesting indeed.

Also, with so many Rs bowing out of the race entirely and putting their seats up for grab, pay close attention to anti-Trump "establishment" Republicans running against Bannonites in primaries.

Reactions: Younigue

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Eh, his approval has been floating around 37% since forever now, wake me up if and when it hits 35, 32.5, and dips below 30.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Eh, his approval has been floating around 37% since forever now, wake me up if and when it hits 35, 32.5, and dips below 30.

It's a slow, constant grinding away of the base that is important. He's going to hold at 25%-30% indefinitely. That's his core that won't turn under almost any condition and will be his floor. But it's not enough to keep him elected in 2020.