Trump and potential mental illness

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...nauguration-crowd-size-paranoia-a7552661.html

...He believes Trump shows signs of “malignant narcissism,” which is defined as a mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression and sadism in Campbells’ Psychiatric Dictionary.

Narcissism is in fact one of the most common diagnoses of Trump from psychologists: “Narcissism impairs his ability to see reality so you can't use logic to persuade someone like that,” clinical psychologist Dr. Julie Futrell told NY Daily News.

“Three million women marching? Doesn't move him. Advisers point out that a policy choice didn't work? He won't care.”...

Any discussions I've seen of Trump being impeached I've seen as unrealistic and wishful thinking. He's only in his third week though and already has a multiple page CV of clear dysfunctional behaviour consisting of outright lies, incompetence and lacking basic adult self control.

There is the appearance of an unsound mind there, but I don't see a proper assessment ever taking place. His consistently bizarre behaviour has changed my opinion though. I think there is a fair chance he doesn't make the four years due to his mental state causing him to finally cross a line that is too much even for the partisan support of elected Republicans to tolerate. While the Repub. party would take a black eye with impeachment because Trump is now theirs, I doubt there would be much resistance to it given what seems the inevitable meltdown and/or significant mental illness event taking place from Trump.

Pence would take over and not much would change for their current course, beyond regaining the appearance of someone of sound mind now being President, rather than the current crazed President who spends his days losing control on social media.

This is also somewhat interesting in speaking to his mental illues: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...acy-theory-website-fake-news-us-a7567441.html

A President taking cues from Infowars. It would be more disconcerting that rather than Trump and team being the pathological liars they have shown themselves to be so far, to instead find out Trump is no better than your typical conspiracy nut easily peddled the sort of crazy Infowars defecates into the minds of the gullible.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Oh look, another half baked analysis of a president who is just a normal person.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't want to risk trivializing mental illness because it's a real struggle for many people, but I would say that Trump shows evidence of pathological behavior, and malignant narcissism sounds right.

This is a man who cannot accept that he's not the best at everything and loved by everyone. Hence the 3AM Twitter rants. Hence scrambling Spicer to berate the press on short notice when they showed that his inauguration crowd was far smaller than Obama's. Hence claiming that any poll which shows him as less than revered is "fake news." Flat-out lies are fine to him so long as he can convince himself of his greatness (which isn't hard).

I don't know that his behavior will worsen, but I also don't know how he's going to cope when he realizes that the media will continue to point out his lies, that the protests won't stop, that judges and foreign governments aren't required to do what he says. In the private business world, it's easy for this kind of narcissism to go unchecked (few people can refuse the CEO); in a sense, the presidency is the first time when people can tell him "no" and not get punished. Given that he almost certainly isn't going to learn basic humility and responsibility, it's too easy to see him either retreating into his shell or lashing out like you said.

I'm not going to say that he's guaranteed to be removed from office before his four years are up. But if that happens, it's less likely to be due to scandals and more due to his narcissism boiling over. Let's say the border wall doesn't work, the economy tanks or there's a terrorist attack from someone not covered by the immigration ban... what happens when Trump is still insisting that his plan was perfect and that the "dishonest media" is to blame? He's going to freak out if his own party starts turning on him.

Also, FelixDeCat: Trump has a gold penthouse, puts his name on everything and has joked about banging his daughter. Your argument is invalid.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh look, another half baked analysis of a president who is just a normal person.

What about him do you think is normal?

I guess we should have elected a career politician who says one thing but means another and in the end is just another seat warmer.

:eye roll:

Did you not notice this guy is a pathological liar?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Born with a silver spoon from birth, this man is not used to being told no. How dare the courts rule against him? Now we get the spectacle of a 70 year-old man throwing the kind of tantrums that most people have put behind them before puberty. pathological issue's

Feb 16, 2005
Trump is a good boy. He didn't do anything the rest of haven't done at some point 'er other. And nobody was a bigger liar than Hillary (but she lost, so nobody cares anymore). :)
goddamn, you are deceitful little poseur aren't you. your fellowship must be proud of you

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
All I can say is it's extremely fortunate that Obamacare mandates coverage for mental illness, given how much mental illness has been caused by Trump's election.

I wonder if you guys can get bulk rate discounts . . .

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
All I can say is it's extremely fortunate that Obamacare mandates coverage for mental illness, given how much mental illness has been caused by Trump's election.

I wonder if you guys can get bulk rate discounts . . .
You have to admit that Trump fits the description of that disorder in the OP perfectly.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You have to admit that Trump fits the description of that disorder in the OP perfectly.
Trump fits the description of a LOT of disorders, but frankly I'm more worried about his causing a mental melt-down in roughly a quarter of the nation. Seems to me that either we accept the left as a violent fascist mob controlling with mob violence what people are allowed to say and think, or we are headed for a violent national battle for the soul of this nation. That concerns me more than one President who is a little more coarse than Bill Clinton, a little less honest than Hillary Clinton, and a little less competent than George W.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Trump fits the description of a LOT of disorders, but frankly I'm more worried about his causing a mental melt-down in roughly a quarter of the nation. Seems to me that either we accept the left as a violent fascist mob controlling with mob violence what people are allowed to say and think, or we are headed for a violent national battle for the soul of this nation. That concerns me more than one President who is a little more coarse than Bill Clinton, a little less honest than Hillary Clinton, and a little less competent than George W.

Well if we're going totally off topic I think that good vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate ice cream.

Plus a few tips. You're overusing "mob" and "violence", find a thesaurus. And fascist isn't a synonym for violent, find a better buzz word.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Mental health professional organizations (e.g. APA, other APA, APsaA) are pretty clear on their stance on the ethics of diagnosing someone you have not examined (not to mention being granted permission to disclose that information, and whether disclosure of that information is in the interest of the person you are diagnosing).

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So you were serious about it?

:)
23d4caea5b58c299913ce4f55e6a9cb1.jpg

Reactions: soundforbjt

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

He already caused a mental meltdown in the people who voted for him. Well, with a lot of help from decades of divisive right wing agitprop.

The rest is apparently an attempt at sweet, sweet apologisms. Trump's lies are preposterous & yet his devotees don't notice one teensy bit. There is no connection between their image of him & easily observable reality.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
If he is removed from office for "Malignant Narcissism" or more simply put gross mental incompetence his supporters, his Administration and the entire Republican Party would never be able to live it down. Not only would they have chosen and backed a very mentally ill man but Trump's non-supporters as well as the world would verbally and humorously as well as viciously rake them over the coals.

To think... in order to get the "change" they think they want it would take a severely mentally ill person to achieve it. Says much about the things they want does it not? It's called the Shoot Yourself In The Foot Mentality and what I will on occasion resort to when having an unreasonable fight with my husband. On those occasions all I achieve is that we both walk away losers.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

You confuse little with lots.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Trump is a good boy. He didn't do anything the rest of haven't done at some point 'er other. And nobody was a bigger liar than Hillary (but she lost, so nobody cares anymore). :)
It would take your entire ward of inmates to match Trump.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Mental health professional organizations (e.g. APA, other APA, APsaA) are pretty clear on their stance on the ethics of diagnosing someone you have not examined (not to mention being granted permission to disclose that information, and whether disclosure of that information is in the interest of the person you are diagnosing).
Probably, but it strikes me as pretty natural for otherwise non-professional people who simply can't help but recognize how mentally ill Trump is by comparison by the inevitable recognition of his derangement to their own normal healthy state to see and say it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Probably, but it strikes me as pretty natural for otherwise non-professional people who simply can't help but recognize how mentally ill Trump is by comparison by the inevitable recognition of his derangement to their own normal healthy state to see and say it.
I'll probably be metaphorically be tarred and feathered for saying this, but there is a part of Trump who is willfully acting this way and a part that compels him to. I have some... I don't know exactly how to describe it.. something akin to sympathy for people with mental illness even when ugly, and naturally for those affected by it. Trump aside, we do an astoundingly bad job as a society in handling mental illness. Somethings are beyond our control, but it is such a stigma that people avoid seeking help.

Reactions: cytg111

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'll probably be metaphorically be tarred and feathered for saying this, but there is a part of Trump who is willfully acting this way and a part that compels him to. I have some... I don't know exactly how to describe it.. something akin to sympathy for people with mental illness even when ugly, and naturally for those affected by it. Trump aside, we do an astoundingly bad job as a society in handling mental illness. Somethings are beyond our control, but it is such a stigma that people avoid seeking help.

The best of what you know, after all must not be told to boys.

Takes on extra meaning when we come to terms with the fact that we're mostly only pretending to be grown ups.