Trump admin crippled vaccination rollout out of paranoia. Actively lobbied congress against funds.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I've never said black people are dumb. I've been bitching about your statements that are basically "bad things were done to them, nothing you can do, let them die."
Nice Stawman you have there. Literally no one is saying that.
What we are saying is that it is going to take a different approach to get them to take the vaccine because they are quite aware that the system does not give a damn if they die.
So far our approach to getting people vaccinated has been to say 'There is now a vaccine! Come and get it! No, not you. Nor you. Nope not you either. oops we are out. Come back another day."
Why the hell is this all so disorganized? I'm a middle aged white guy and I have to admit, it feels like we are intentionally screwing up the distribution of this vaccine. It does not inspire confidence.

Reactions: pmv

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Nice Stawman you have there. Literally no one is saying that.
What we are saying is that it is going to take a different approach to get them to take the vaccine because they are quite aware that the system does not give a damn if they die.
So far our approach to getting people vaccinated has been to say 'There is now a vaccine! Come and get it! No, not you. Nor you. Nope not you either. oops we are out. Come back another day."
Why the hell is this all so disorganized? I'm a middle aged white guy and I have to admit, it feels like we are intentionally screwing up the distribution of this vaccine. It does not inspire confidence.
Again, you have offered no potential solution, which was my compliant. "Bad shit happened, can't expect them to get it just because we say to, they know the system doesn't care if they die."

The distribution is exactly what happens when leadership pawns off their responsibilities on the next lower rung all the way down the ladder.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Again, you have offered no potential solution, which was my compliant. "Bad shit happened, can't expect them to get it just because we say to, they know the system doesn't care if they die."

The distribution is exactly what happens when leadership pawns off their responsibilities on the next lower rung all the way down the ladder.
FFS

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Jews have been horribly experimented in the past, yet Israel has the highest vaccination rate in the world.

What we have is a bunch of conmen selling bullshit to people that will end up hurting those people. And then that gets justified because of something that happened decades ago.

The problem with this argument is that...there was no Israel "in the past" that you allude to. With other racial minorities under discussion, they still live under the oppressive hegemonies within the very same nations with the horrible past practices that were subjected onto them.

The issue is the same: distrust of those in power because of past practices. Jewish people in Israel are unique here in that they now have their own power, and their own nation, so the distrust against "outside power" has been erased.

...ah, I see this thread went a little nuts. No idea what's going on here, lol.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You should stop being dishonest about what people are trying to tell you in this thread.
Pmv basically said there is no way to get black people to get vaccinated until we completely solve systematic racism. Darth called multiple people racist for saying black people should get vaccinated.

I've said multiple times there should be an outreach program, but we can't just throw our hands up in defeat because bad shit happened and racism still occurs.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The problem with this argument is that...there was no Israel "in the past" that you allude to. With other racial minorities under discussion, they still live under the oppressive hegemonies within the very same nations with the horrible past practices that were subjected onto them.

The issue is the same: distrust of those in power because of past practices. Jewish people in Israel are unique here in that they now have their own power, and their own nation, so the distrust against "outside power" has been erased.

...ah, I see this thread went a little nuts. No idea what's going on here, lol.
I wonder if Jews living in Europe are anti-vax. I see your point about Israel itself. But polish Jews still don't have power.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
There might not be a potential solution, at least not one that fits into what we would consider a reasonable time frame. It took centuries to dig this hole, it is going to take more then a few platitudes to get us out.
The damned thing about this sort of long term problem is that it takes long term solutions, and the real truth is our society does not really have it's heart into finding a solution. We kind of enjoy the status quo.
Every now and then we get all regretful about how badly we have treated minorities and then decide, in what we imagine to be a spirit of magnanimity, to give them a day that is all about them to make pretend we now care. But then a decade later we get pissed about the fact that they have their own day and want one too. Because we don't really care. We just don't like feeling the occasional guilty pang.

Of course it is. So why do we keep voting those people into office? We get the government we deserve.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Good news. Blacks now have the lowest COVID vaccine hesitancy of any group polled, slightly less that whites. Making the earlier discussion up thread moot.

Which is kind of weird. I have to think that either the earlier or current polling was a little off?

Anyway, republican men, "supported Trump in 2020," white men without college degrees, and evangelicals are the leading hesitators. In other words, basically the same group of dumbasses.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Good news. Blacks now have the lowest COVID vaccine hesitancy of any group polled, slightly less that whites. Making the earlier discussion up thread moot.

Which is kind of weird. I have to think that either the earlier or current polling was a little off?

Anyway, republican men, "supported Trump in 2020," white men without college degrees, and evangelicals are the leading hesitators. In other words, basically the same group of dumbasses.
I wouldn't take black's expressed hesitancy too seriously. Many are going to do that out of force of habit, and I respect them well enough for that. I think it will shake out that they'll vaccinate by and large. They know what side their bread is buttered on. That's why they vote highly Democratic. And the women are less apt to be dumb than the men. But mama will tell their sons to get vaccinated, so we'll be OK. OK, it's a bit of a fantasy, but you get the idea.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

I think there is likely a big "rich white people are fighting over each other to get these shots, maybe it's okay" sales pitch. I read something a week or so ago that massive demand and difficulties getting an appointment in the US had increased desires to be vaxxed in Africa.

It's hard for the conspiracy BS of "they want to experiment on you" to stick when "they" are coming to your neighborhood to "steal" your slot.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think a lot of deniers and skeptics are going to succumb to "vaccine envy" when they see everyone has been getting them, like it's a "thing" that everyone must experience today, to be part of the new reality, and will start being annoyed when they realize that life is now less open to them with being unvaccinated.

Their ignorance will weaken and they will forget they ever raged about such nonsense. Not all of them, but I suspect a lot will just feel left out suddenly and they won't even notice how far they have gone from this strange prejudice.

Reactions: Muse and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Their ignorance will weaken and they will forget they ever raged about such nonsense. Not all of them, but I suspect a lot will just feel left out suddenly and they won't even notice how far they have gone from this strange prejudice.
When you disconnect from reality, perhaps it's easier to turn sideways or pivot 180 degrees on issues? I don't know, just a wild guess. I still don't understand how they think, if they're thinking at all.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
I think a lot of deniers and skeptics are going to succumb to "vaccine envy" when they see everyone has been getting them, like it's a "thing" that everyone must experience today, to be part of the new reality, and will start being annoyed when they realize that life is now less open to them with being unvaccinated.

Probably. But there will be a group of forever holdouts who will proudly declare, once new case totals are low enough to resume a "more normal" life (which will be a new normal, not pre-COVID days) and things open up, that they preserved their freedumb and didn't need to get the poke. These people are freeloaders at best.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You guys mistake being anti vaxxer with people who prefer to have more conclusive proof that these vaccines not only work but whose side effects aren’t worse than the cure. In a medical system where profits are the top priority, I can understand that some people have reservations and don’t trust a situation where the first to come up with a cure gets big money.
BS....ALL EXCUSES

• Love
Reactions: Muse
Mar 11, 2004

That's not what I'm seeing. I see people digging in more than ever and I think this is going to turn more into anti-vaxxers across the board.

Next big thing is they're going to work to get their anti-vaxxer shit enshrined under law as a religious thing. And then from there they're going to use that to bludgeon every other fucked up thing they believe.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Listening to NPR, I heard that Mississippi reached parity today, with the same percentage of black people having been vaccinated as live there. It is working in some places, but the difficulty the administration faces is making the pitch to those who are hesitant. I do think there is a significant number who are on the fence, who are not hard core anti vaxxers.

Reactions: Fenixgoon and pmv

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Listening to NPR, I heard that Mississippi reached parity today, with the same percentage of black people having been vaccinated as live there. It is working in some places, but the difficulty the administration faces is making the pitch to those who are hesitant. I do think there is a significant number who are on the fence, who are not hard core anti vaxxers.
I've been hearing that blacks are now the most likely to say they want a vaccine. It's all the Trump humpers that don't want it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You guys mistake being anti vaxxer with people who prefer to have more conclusive proof that these vaccines not only work but whose side effects aren’t worse than the cure. In a medical system where profits are the top priority, I can understand that some people have reservations and don’t trust a situation where the first to come up with a cure gets big money.
Take the AZ one then, that's a not for profit vaccine.

Which, coincidentally, is probably why there's a lot of propaganda saying that you should get other ones.

Reactions: zinfamous

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Take the AZ one then, that's a not for profit vaccine.

Which, coincidentally, is probably why there's a lot of propaganda saying that you should get other ones.

I’m already vaccinated, my post was to explain some of the hesitation people might have.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I’m already vaccinated, my post was to explain some of the hesitation people might have.
I'd be careful on ascribing your explanations for other people's irrational fears. There's plenty of anti vaxxers in counties that have not for profit health services with not for profit vaccines.

People kinda make decisions based on gut feelings then work out some justification and rationalisation from there. And that's not ment to be a slight against them, we all do it about most things. That's how we get through our day to day life, we don't look at the scientific evidence for everything, we are trained to find solutions that fit what we think are sensible.