Status
Not open for further replies.

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
for necessity i tried ubuntu, had to make a bootable usb to install an OS on an hd...my usb was only 2gb so i had no other choice other then windows xp around 600mb or ubuntu around 1+gb...so i choosed ubuntu...

even installing it is so incredibly confusing, ended up deleting everything despite not choosing any option who told me it was going to format everything...i had pictures which have a huge value for me and dont even know how to recover them or if its even possible to do so...

boot up, i didnt expect to be like windows but man it is ugly...youtube doesnt work correctly, twich lags at any resolution, navigation with preinstalled firefox is laggy and slow...downloaded win10 iso, tried to install it directly but ofc linux wont let you do it...

now im stuck with this crap till tomorrow, i will get a new usb 16gb make a win10 bootable usb and get rid of this ubuntu mess...

its not faster then windows, almost nothing works overall terrible experience....

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
LOL. Ubuntu installer complicated? It has like three choices: Install alongside Windows (if it detects Windows previously installed), install and wipe HDD, or "Custom".

Granted, "Custom" can be a bit confusing, but the other two options are very straightforward. Kind of hard to mess up, unless you go looking for trouble.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sounds like you are missing some Drivers. That said, each time I tried Linux I ran into an issue that was just too annoying to continue using it.

Reactions: PliotronX

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Sounds like you are missing some Drivers. That said, each time I tried Linux I ran into an issue that was just too annoying to continue using it.
I get all jazzed about trying distros and then run into issues and the enthusiasm dies out after a couple of weeks. That said, you might want to try the fedora side of things. Try korora or OpenSUSE.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I put Xubuntu on my daughter's laptop this morning. Took about 15 minutes, and the only problem I've seen so far is right click doesn't work on the weird touchpad buttons. I haven't fooled with it cause multi finger touch works fine, and is my preference anyway. My daughter didn't care. Boss' computer I put it on last week works well also, network printers included, though the Xerox took a little fiddling with on my machine before I could get a good driver . The obvious choice wasn't the best choice for our particular setup.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
there is like 3 options. its not ubuntu's fault you picked wipe the HDD option instead of the install or install alongside windows option.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Linux for many people, is a Harbor Freight caliber OS. The technician who finds it to be a legitimate precision tool cannot fathom how the common can hate it so, but the crappy driver support and unintuitive interfacing makes for a garbage experience when you don't have mountains of knowledge(either from education or Googling solutions) on your side.

Next time, use a VM first.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
LOL. Ubuntu installer complicated? It has like three choices: Install alongside Windows (if it detects Windows previously installed), install and wipe HDD, or "Custom".

Granted, "Custom" can be a bit confusing, but the other two options are very straightforward. Kind of hard to mess up, unless you go looking for trouble.

Yep Ubuntu installs are dead simple, you can even run it off usb without installing it to HD, sounds like user issue personally, anyway Ubuntu has been out for a long time now and is very stable, speed is down to hardware but there are different versions of Ubuntu depending on your hardware, want something more like Windows then try Zorin, http://zorinos.com/ .

Linux distros do work a little different from Windows but that is to be expected.

Btw you can always get a larger USB drive then 2GB, flash drives are dead cheap even for 32GB version.

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
Yep Ubuntu installs are dead simple, you can even run it off usb without installing it to HD, sounds like user issue personally, anyway Ubuntu has been out for a long time now and is very stable, speed is down to hardware but there are different versions of Ubuntu depending on your hardware, want something more like Windows then try Zorin, http://zorinos.com/ .

Linux distros do work a little different from Windows but that is to be expected.

Btw you can always get a larger USB drive then 2GB, flash drives are dead cheap even for 32GB version.
when first trying to install ubuntu i picked a partition...it said i need a different format so i have to make it ext4 or something like that, tried to install on another partition and it kept saying impossible because i need root or something like that...

if that is simple to you then its absolutely not simple and not intuitive for someone which never used linux before...its a complete mess...

btw bought an usb 16gb made a bootable windows 10pro and got rid of ubuntu, way better on every aspect, browsing is smoother, youtube works smoothly can even play 4k vids without frame drops on my lapto with i5 4210u cpu, twitch works perfectly smooth...on linux i couldnt select a higher then 360p res on youtube most of the time, twitch drops frames like mad...instead of 60fps 1080p res streaming i could get 15-20fps at 1080p...browsing is not even close as snappy as on chrome+win10...

all in all theres is not a single reason on why you should get linux over windows unless you just want to experiment something new...

Nov 20, 2009

Stop poking the mankey. If it is too hard, it be too hard.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
OK, you had your rant and this thread is locked.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Status
Not open for further replies.