Transfer or I get laid off: Chicago, Houston or Seattle. UPDATE: I got laid off !!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Aceshigh, i Live in Webster, and it is one of the nicest parts of Houston I've seen, but the air quality is still horrible. Living in clear lake your about 7-8 miles at most from the Plants in Pasadena. I guess i just miss Austin...

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
Aceshigh, i Live in Webster, and it is one of the nicest parts of Houston I've seen, but the air quality is still horrible. Living in clear lake your about 7-8 miles at most from the Plants in Pasadena. I guess i just miss Austin...

yeah, I wouldn't move to Houston after living here. Dallas would be the only other place.

Liviathan

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2001
I live in Chicago and love the city. If you are concern about a social life this is a good place to live. Not a big fan of Seattle. The people seem that they try to be too politically correct....and its very sparce.

Chicago has good public transportation, and a lot of choices of ethic groups.

THELAIR

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
wow look at the resposnes! awsome :)

Yes the firm is paying 100% of all relocation expenses not to exceede 6,000.

I am on a 2 year commitment, they have to keep me for 2 years when all the paper work is signed, or ship me back to Canada and pay out my remaining time left unworked.

I'm leaving next weekend for a meeting with a majority of the senior managers/execs down in Mineapolis of all places to interview and meet with the powers that be. I have alot of support from all levels at work up here to get me down there, so I have some heavy hitters backing my transfer, which is nice.

As for where the office is located in each city, well the firm i work for is quite large, several thousand people in chicago and houston across 2-3 office towers, NYC has over 12,000 employees there alone. They are all located in the heart of any metropolitan downtown core. So traveling back and forth will be a bitch. I have no interest in paying big bucks to live downtown, id rather rent out or room up with someone and keep monthly rent under 800$ and try and bank as much cash as possible.

Seattle unfortunetly will be a long shot in the mean time, they are just not busy enough to bring on another person, its a toss up between mostly chicago or houston. My personal preference is Houston cuz I don't mind the heat, and if humidity is a big deal ill just buy as many dehumidifyers as neccessary to suck the moisture outta the air. Calgary has no humidity, ZERO, its totally dry. So humidity would be somthing I would have to get re acquinted with (Grew up in Vancouver with 80% humidity most of the time) but its been awhile.

There is also the odd ball chance that they will pull a city outta left field and ill have no choice but to go there... "hey kid, your goin to kansas city, pack your bags!"

:)

THELAIR

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Update:

Not sure if i should be sad or excited.

Will let you know how the interview on Monday goes.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: THELAIR
Update:

Not sure if i should be sad or excited.

Will let you know how the interview on Monday goes.

Your always said when you get laid off. Its happened to me a couple of times over the last couple years, but each time it seems I actually end up with more money and better opportunities. The last time I got laid off, I enjoyed myself during the time off taking trips and such rather than sulking.

astroview

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
One last bump for Chicago. I live in one of those "expensive" downtown apartments. It's not actually that expensive, although I wouldn't live here if it weren't close to school. It's a pretty fun town especially if you have some money and time. If you do move here, there are a lot of things you can do. Summer is the time of the year that is the best and most fun, winter can be a bit of a drag.

My only problems with Chicago are not enough "El" lines, needs a nice big modern art museum like the Tate, and some better sports team management!
I think the people are generally friendly. Overall the public transportation is really good, although not at the level of NYC or any European city.

I really don't think its a dirty city, whoever said that before was on crack. There are bad parts yes, but the city is doing well and the bad parts aren't that bad compared to some cities I've lived in.

If you do move here, the best neighborhoods to live in on the North Side are Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Lakeview. If you're looking for a little cheaper, people like Wicker Park, and maybe Uptown which is gentrifying. On the South Side Hyde Park is cool, its where the U of Chicago campus is, but the area around it is bad. Printer's Row is nice I've been told although I've never been there. Generally South Side is worse.

I hope you move here, I really like it here, and honestly to me it doesn't feel too big. I hope to move to NYC sometime in all honesty because I love it too.