Transfer or I get laid off: Chicago, Houston or Seattle. UPDATE: I got laid off !!!

THELAIR

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
UPDATE Fri Nov 15th:

So I find out that there is no current openings right now for the US and that the local office doesn't want to keep me on any longer to wait... so I got canned. However it wasnt unexpected, I knew if i was not able for a transfer that today would be my last day.

BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS I HAVE AN INTERVIEW WITH THE COMPETITION ON MONDAY AT 1pm!

Muahahahaha how sweet revenge is.

After a year with this new (potential) job at this firm, I will still have a chance yet again to transfer down to the US. Lets hope they are more busy than the other guys. We shall see..........

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So its been over a year at my current job location in Canada, and due to 'restructuring' I was presented with the option of transfering down to the US and they strongly suggested that I do that as my current skill set does not match with the new 'focus' in my current location.

Talking with the guys in Chicago, they really want me down there and presented my bio/information to one of the executives and he is open to having me down there. So Chicago is an option.

However they currently are trying to push me towards Houston due to a parallel with several of the clients I worked with up here, that are also located and headquartered down there.

And the only other opportunity is in Seattle. I grew up in Vancouver so I know what the weather is like there :)

I'm sort of preferential to Houston as I have been there before and liked the weather/environment etc but i was only there for short periods of time.

What would you all do? My transfer is limited to 2 years and then I have to return back to Canada.

Im 23 and earn the equiv of 62K US year. I would be earning a similar salary regardless of the city I transfered to.

I'm excited about hte opportunity, and I want to do this, I just need to find out what city would be best to make the most of the 2 years that I am there.

Insights?

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I would choose Seattle, just seems like the nicest city out of all of em.

Do you like hot weather then? Because Houston is pretty damn hot... I hope you like sweating and need to shed a few pounds. :p

Don't know about Chicago. All I know is that its windy there.

xuanman

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2002
Come to Chicago...if you're into the big-city life. I've lived in NYC and LA, and Chicago is definitely my favorite town :)

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
seattle has the lowest number of sunny days, and the highest number of suicides. Possible link maybe...:p

chicago all the way

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
I've been to seattle and houston and they are both awesome cities. The only thing is houston is VERY HOT! What is your weather preference? I liked seattle too, it's a cool city but it was a bit too dreary for me. Chicago is supposed to be a great city but it gets pretty cold. I think if you are basing it on weather you have 3 very distinct types of cities that you can choose.

As for the people and the things to do. I liked seattle the best! the people are really laidback and there's so much to do in seattle. you should also look at the cost of living and housing, it prolly varies and might help you decide if you care about that stuff.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If you don't mind the weather, I'd move here (Seattle). The economy sucks right now, but if you can secure a job here it rocks right now. I love it here in Greenlake (Seattle).

Rob

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Your money won't go as far in Chicago, but there is always going to be something to do. Driving and parking is a pain in Chicago. You will want an apartment that's near a train station, since most people take a train to work if they work downtown.

Why don't you take a trip to Seattle and Chicago, compare to Houston, and see where you'd like to be.

Let us know.

PhoKing

Aug 8, 2000
Chicago, hands down! I was from Houston...emphasis on "was." You'll get sick of Houston quick. The weather's lousy (unless you like feeling hot and damp). Everything's too far away and driving there would be a beeyotch...driving in Houston is a pain period. Not much to do unless you like boring clubs with the same old shallow people there every week. The "Southern Hospitality" you hear about is exempted from Houston...for the most part. I can't say all people there suck. A few good things about Houston (which are few and far between)...good asian food, roadway systems are rated best in the world (there aren't many places you can't get to, but the traffic does suck), and shopping is okay.

My thoughts on Chicago...grand city, with lots to see, eat, and do. I haven't been to Seattle but I hear it's nice, except for the weather.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Never been to Chicago, but lived in Tacoma (near Seattle). Too much rain for me. But I grew up in north Texas. Now I have been condemned (sp?) to Houston. You're money will go alot farther here than it will in Seattle, not sure about Chicago. But having been here 4 years now, I'm looking forward to the time I can move somewhere cooler (not necessarily rainier), with LESS mosquitos and cockroaches. Oh, let's not forget the rats. :disgust:

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
the humidity in houston is horrible. i don't know about the other two. :)

THELAIR

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
haha nice varied options.

Seattle is probably a distant 3rd for being placed there as they are going through some downturns in that office as well.

I had hte opportunity this summer to jump to NYC or Boston, but i was too slow on responding and the 3 positions were filled.

Idealy I would like to go to Seattle I think, because I am only a short distance from teh border and a short 65 min air plane ride to my current location, Calgary.

I like the idea of Houston because it is a warmer climate, I could do with out some snow for awhile and I know Chicago gets its share of cold weather/snow.

I have some time to sit on it, as it will take a minimum of 2 months for any paper work to get cleared and to obtain a work visa for an interoffice transfer.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you're in Canada now, I'd definately choose Seattle. Houston will be really hot and muggy. Chicago.. As far as the weather goes, probably more what you're used to.. but it's a really big city. So it just depends on what your looking for.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
geez, people.. you know Canada is not exactly in the sticks right? They have big cities too. If I had to choose between those, I would pick Seattle. I heard you can buy a house with what I paid for down payment on my house out here in LA. If you are getting the same salary no matter what, I say pick the town where your salary is relatively high.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
LOL i don't think the replies are helping you....i suggest you visit all the cities.....i've been to chicago and houston...but never seatle...i hear it's a nice city....houston's nice...but texan weather sucks......chicago gets pretty damn cold...but you being from canada, you're probably used to that routine.....also, chicago has like the worse freeway system in the world....no traffic...but to get to a point in chicago, it's a pain....houston was ok.....but give chicago credit...they had to biuld the freeways around an already spawling city...... but two years what the heck no?..... if i were you, i'd go to someplace totally different from what you're used to....maybe houston because the weather's very different? i suppose the lifesyle is very very american (like on TV and such)..... (i'm a so. california native....in my opinion, it's the best place to live anywhere in the US)

well, have fun for the next two years! :)

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Chicago= The slime pit of the midwest.

Houston= Humidity and HEAT!

Seattle= Liberals rule it but it is clean and the weather would be less of a shock and that area has the smell of pine year round. Think of the savings in Pinesol!:cool:

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
I'd go wherever the people (that you're returning to in 2 years) wanted you to go.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Seattle all the way. i live in arlington 45 min away but i go there at least every other weekend. the people are nice but the traffic is bad. if you do pick seattle STAY AWAY FROM EVERETT you might get the crabs just driving through there. it a city were the hicks go to feel like they are sophisticates. tacomma smells funny (wood mill) but seattle is great there is incredible scenery and music and my favorite COMPUTER STUFF! o ya we got it all microsoft is right down the alley from seattle. we got big docks for all our computer needs there are sooooooooooo many HUGE companys that started and stayed here. there is always something to do.its fun to see the city just come alive in the morning. the economy is sh!te right now but like that guy said if u got a stable job then come here. i dont know what these people are talking about how bad the weather is. recently we have had great weather fitting our season perfectly. and when it rains come inside crank up the heat grab a cup o coffee and do your work play games watch tv. rain makes washington comefy and green. if it were snow everybody would say they hated snow. make the right decision move to seattle!

edit: plus if you recieve spam in washington you can claim up to $500 from the company (sorry no link) its a law

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
I'm from Texas and I hate Houston b/c of the weather. I currently attend school in Chicago... bleah, not much to say about it. If I were in your shoes I'd definitely choose Seattle.... the trees/mountains/ocean really call to me.... I don't give a damn about the rain :) besides, you want rain? Welcome to Autumn in Chicago.....

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Chicago - Worlds best pizza, lots of restaurants, lots of good bars, good night life, cold in the winter/hot in the summer, As long as you stay away from the projects, its a pretty safe city

Never been to Houston or Seattle ... So i shall refrain from commenting on them

Have fun with where ever you pick

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Been twice to Chicago...wish I could move there :( Fantastic city. It has the glitz of NYC (well, almost :) ) and still retains an old-world charm. If I were given your choice, I would easily pick Chicago. The cost of living is higher, I guess, but atleast you won't be bored out of your skull like I am, living in the dullest place on planet earth - North Carolina
rolleye.gif