Transfer or I get laid off: Chicago, Houston or Seattle. UPDATE: I got laid off !!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
I've been to all three, though I haven't lived there. Given a choice I'd pick Chicago for more of a temperate climate and it's central location. Houston has an incredible crime rate, I'd avoid it due to this and the congestion/pollution there. Take the advice given above to find out where each office is located in relation to the town. If you're trying to live in town you'll pay through the nose in any of these cities, but if you can find a suburb located near the office you'll get a better deal on housing. Since your company has already indicated an interest in reorganizing, I wouldn't take it for granted that they're going to keep you in the long run. Chicago is a good area if you find yourself job hopping and need to relocate to another nearby metro area.

Are they offering to pay your relocation expenses?

xuanman

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2002
Originally posted by: FettsBabe
Seattle. While the sun doesn't shine alot....they do have great seafood. Salty's by the river is one of my favorite restaurant spots when I travel there.

Houston is nice, but its hot. The outskirts of Houston might be ok.

Chicago...never. I don't like big cities. They look run down and aren't pleasant to the "eye."

Run down and unpleasant to the eye? Have you ever been to Chicago...?!?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
houston is dirt cheap... if you're going to get paid the same no matter where you go then that should be a big part of your consideration. and texas doesn't have an income tax. we might is sanchez gets elected, though.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Out of those 3, I think your best option would be Chicago. I was in Calgary in June and it was 30F ;) Houston is entirely too hot and Seattle rains too damn much. Not that I'm basing this solely on weather, but you would probably feel more at home Chicago by the sound of it anyway. Seeing Seattle is a distant 3rd on your list, there's NO reason not to choose Chicago. I was there (downtown) in August and it was beautiful.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Out of those 3, I have to say chicago. I love it here. The night life is great ( if you are into that kind of thing ) Broadband is everywhere ( top chice for me! ) hell, the city is working on a huge network for all the loop buisnesses. Real cool :)

The suburbs are cool too. Thats where I am. Out in Bartlett, near Elgin. Nice and quiet here. Then you drive 20 min west and hit Elgin for soem fun, or 40 min east and hit chicago. Best of both worlds :)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
chicago, no way

houston, maybe if you like it HOT!!!!

seattle is fine, unless you hate rain ( i grew up south of seattle, its fine by me ;) )

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
I can't say I've ever heard anyone say nice things about Houston, so I would avoid that town. There's a lot of smog, and the weather is extremely hot and humid. Lots of strip clubs though. hehe.

Seattle has dreary weather... Chicago is probably the best place to go of all three cities. It's probably the best city, overall, in America after NYC.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
I live just South of Seattle and have for almost all of my 36 years. Sure we get some rain, ok more then our fair share, but our summers are great. Mid to high 80s, no humidity. great hiking, camping,skiing. We have beautiful mountains. And I'll have to say so far this fall the weather has been awesome. the rain fall this month has be almost nil. Today was a great day. It was cold in the morning but by noonish it was sunny and warm... Not 70s but a very nice 60 something , at least it felt like 60ish. there are a ton of things to do here and you are never to far from anything.

Garion

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2001
I've been to all three, though I haven't lived there. Given a choice I'd pick Chicago for more of a temperate climate

More temperate than Seattle? Noo.. I don't think so. During the summer, hot is 85. During the winter, cold is 35. Compare that to Chicago, where you're looking at a hot summer being 100 and a cold winter being below zero.

I've only visited Chicago for a few business trips, but it seemed very nice. Definitely an "east coast" city, compared to Seattle, where I live now.

Seattle is great, since it's generally a nice place to live, the people are great and there's not as much of the racial/social class separation around here. When I lived in other cities, I was always amazed how much of a difference there was in attitude between the "haves" and "have nots". We're very happy here - There's lots of things to do and lots of very cool people.

I do, however, think your company is giving you the shaft. If they are planning on paying you the same amount of money no matter where you move, you definitley need to have some discussions.

I don't know exactly where you're from, so I don't know what your baseline for comparason is, but here's some interesting stats, according to homefair.com (an excellent salary / cost of living calculator) If you made $62,000 in Houston, you'd need to earn $98,618 in Seattle or $122,661 in Chicago to have the same standard of living. If they insist you go anywhere that $62,000US would LOWER your standard of living, you should really ask for a cost-of-living pay increase.

Of course, YMMV when it comes to these kinds of things, but you definitely need to take this into consideration. Move to Houston and live it up or barely squeak by in Chicago. Of course, this assumes you live in the city, not in the 'burbs, but it depends where your office is and what you're willing to put up with in a commute.

- G

brjames

Apr 25, 2001
Gotta go with Houston all the way. I've lived there all my life (except for college) and I don't want to live anyplace else. Anyplace in Texas will eventually grow on you.

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
If you made $62,000 in Houston, you'd need to earn $98,618 in Seattle or $122,661 in Chicago to have the same standard of living.

It doesn't cost that much more to live in Chicago, unless you live in one of those luxury skyscrapers downtown. Chicago has plenty of upscale yet affordable suburbs.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd go to Texas and not just for the women. :D I don't care much for cold weather and snow, so that would be the best place for me.

wjones

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2000
Set an office in California and come to bay area, nice weather. You also can spend you $ FAST here ;)

wjones

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Garion
If you made $62,000 in Houston, you'd need to earn $98,618 in Seattle or $122,661 in Chicago to have the same standard of living.

oh, then you'll need $165,827 in San Francisco to have the same living standard. Looks like office in bay area in not a good idea. hehe...

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Where's the Chicago office? Downtown, or by a train station? If so, great! Get an apartment near a train station and you can have the exact same commute every day no matter what the traffic or weather is like. For example, my aunt (not technically, but she's like an aunt) lives in Naperville by the Metra station. She walks to the train and rides in to downtown every day for work, even though she has a car.

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
Another vote for Houston.... I have lived about 2 hrs north most of my life and dont let what people tell you about the hot summers scare you away. Its really not that bad here, humidity is bad but not intolerable. The winters more than make up for the summer, we get like a week of freezing temperatures here. I definately prefer texas winters to freezing my nutsack off up north. If you do end up transferring to houston do not live in teh actual city of houston, find a good suburb.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Like Chemical Plants, and air smelling like a mixture of paint thinner and superglue most of the time? Then Houston is the place for you, best part is the Hurricanes and Tropical storms that make driving anywhere impossible. And after the storms are over come the swarms of mosquitos and water bugs (big roach like things)... Granted living here is cheap, but there is a reason for it.
AND YES I DO LIVE IN HOUSTON!

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

I only has visited Houston once and Seattle on many occasion, and it would have to be Seattle if I have to make the choice between the 2.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
Like Chemical Plants, and air smelling like a mixture of paint thinner and superglue most of the time? Then Houston is the place for you, best part is the Hurricanes and Tropical storms that make driving anywhere impossible. And after the storms are over come the swarms of mosquitos and water bugs (big roach like things)... Granted living here is cheap, but there is a reason for it.
AND YES I DO LIVE IN HOUSTON!

Damn, sounds like you live in Galena Park or some other crappy part of town. The living is nice here in the Clear Lake area.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Chicago is a very nice city, but it is a big city. Obviously, living downtown is expensive. You would get more bang for your buck if you lived in the burbs.

However, the suburbs are very nice, and there is a LOT of stuff to see/do. I personally live in Naperville (www.naperville.il.us, crappy website.. i know..), a city of about 140,000 that is about 30minutes train ride or 30minutes(no traffic)/1.25hours(BAD traffic) commute from chicago. It is one of (if not THE) largest suburb, and is pretty typical of greater chicagoland. Housing ranges anywhere from $110,000 (townhouse/condo) to $2,000,000 or so. I assume you probably don't/won't have kids in the next 2 years, but the schools are top notch if you do. I'd suggest that you come visit chicago, check out the city for a bit (esp. if you will be working there), but also check out the suburbs.

I can attest that the costs of living are somewhat high (well at least compared to eastern Iowa where i go to school), but definitely lower than the west/east coasts. I would say that Chi-town is probably on par cost-wise with Houston.

It does get hot in the summer (downtown usually isnt too bad due to the lake breeze), and it does get cold in the winter (probably not as bad as you're used to in Canada, but close). In the winter, there is skate on state (outdoor ice skating rink in the middle of downtown), as well as the window-murals (best word i can use to describe em, not very accurate though) in the shop windows on state st. In the summer, there is Taste of Chicago in grant park, basically a festival of all different kinds of food. Plus there are Cubs / White Sox / Bears / Bulls / Blackhawks games all year round (heh.. no hockey in Houston or Seattle, that might mean something to a Canuck :) ). hmm.. what else.. The club/bar scene is really fun too, though somewhat expensive (i guess anything's expensive compared to 25 cent bottles we get here in college :) ). Anyway, all around its a really fun town.

The food is excellent, you haven't lived until you've eaten chicago-style pizza made the right way (Gino's East/Lou Malnati's/Leonardo's/Giordano's all make great Chi-style pizzas, sauce on top of course). Chicago style hot-dogs / italian beefs are excellent as well (Portillo's can't be beat in this regard), and you won't find them anywhere else. There are many good cultural restaurants as well, both in the city and in the suburbs.

hmm.. anything else..
well there prolly is but i can't think of it right now.. i should get to bed :)

anyway, give chicago+suburbs a look, I love em and you could too :D

ebaycj

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
We do have a hockey team. The Houston Aeros (IHL). Plus if you move here you can enjoy the Ming Dynasty and the many NBA championships that will go with it.:)