Torment: Tides of Numenera *Kickstarter $4 million Achieved!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
"What does one life matter?"

They talk about legacy and what a life means.

So naturally theres gonna be alot of dieing, and wakeing up in new bodies with a "span" of time between each of the "lives" being had. So you can observe the effects of the legacy you left, right?

I can imagine certain "area" 's of the game, looking one way in one life, and then be completly differnt in the next (same area) due to the actions you caused via quests ect.

That sort of reminds me of Chrono trigger/cross, with the time traveling.
I loved both of those games and the aspect of shifting in time.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was something like that in the new torment game.
What do you guys think? yay or nay? on the time travel aspect? will it be in the game or not?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
"What does one life matter?"

They talk about legacy and what a life means.

So naturally theres gonna be alot of dieing, and wakeing up in new bodies with a "span" of time between each of the "lives" being had. So you can observe the effects of the legacy you left, right?

I can imagine certain "area" 's of the game, looking one way in one life, and then be completly differnt in the next (same area) due to the actions you caused via quests ect.

That sort of reminds me of Chrono trigger/cross, with the time traveling.
I loved both of those games and the aspect of shifting in time.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was something like that in the new torment game.
What do you guys think? yay or nay? on the time travel aspect? will it be in the game or not?

I was thinking something more along the lines of Cloud Atlas.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
3mil is a more substantial upgrade. i hope it gets there.

It will get there easily. It should get to 3 million in 4-5 days and the last couple of days there is always a final rush. I'm guessing it will finish with close to 4 million incl paypal.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 4.5m at the end. Especially if they do some juicy milestone.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
The fund raising pace has slowed down considerably. I think it will end at about 3.5 million. I doubt it gets to 4.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The fund raising pace has slowed down considerably. I think it will end at about 3.5 million. I doubt it gets to 4.

Kickstarter donations aren't linear by a longshot. Project Eternity gained $705,095 on the first day and $615,212 on the last day, with a low point of $23,324 in the middle.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/#chart-daily

Torment is following a similar curve with even higher spikes: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

I'm betting it ends up around 5 million.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I bought Planescape: Torment when GOG first started selling it, because I've heard it's such a well written game. I need to get around to playing it.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Just saw that they added Chris Avellone joining the team at one of the new stretch goals!

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003

I bought from there having never played it. 4 or 5 hours in at a guess and honestly not impressed. I thought my tolerance for old school games was higher than that! Maybe i'm only tolerant with games I actually played back then but yeah, not impressed, no sir. The writing is good that's true, and the voice acting is fine. But the clunky game play, man I can't get into it!

That said i'll be looking at this new one.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I bought from there having never played it. 4 or 5 hours in at a guess and honestly not impressed. I thought my tolerance for old school games was higher than that! Maybe i'm only tolerant with games I actually played back then but yeah, not impressed, no sir. The writing is good that's true, and the voice acting is fine. But the clunky game play, man I can't get into it!

That said i'll be looking at this new one.

Torment is all about the story, that is the number 1 thing about it.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Malladine

Did you do all the installs GOG recammends? So your not running at 640x480 resolution ect.

(skip the "fix" for typo's and grammer, spelling ect, that changes the fonts and has weird use of "*" ect that make reading it less "book" like and not as fun a experiance)

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Just saw that they added Chris Avellone joining the team at one of the new stretch goals!

Yup. And Pat Rothfuss at $3.25 million. Quite a bit of talent signing on board. Would be cool if they could get Brandon Sanderson (Pat Rothfuss is a friend of his and there has been some discussion on his blog about him asking). I wonder if there is a point though where you can get too much creative talent.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Everyone please help get this thing to 3.25mil!!!

I just read Patrick Rothfuss first book in the Kingkiller Chronicle.
I am totally blown away.

George RR Martin with Songs of Fire&Ice (game of thrones), is good, but Patrick Rothfuss is like.... that tiny bit better that makes all the differnce.

I dont think Ive enjoyed a writer before to this extent, since I read Richelle Mead series Georgina Kincaid, or like Jim Butcher and The Dresden Files.

A writer of his caliber will turn this game from from something silly good, into something of epic proportions.

I wonder if there is a point though where you can get too much creative talent.

If each of them wants to write out hours worth of epic gameplay, I say let them!
Lets have a game that takes 2 months to playthrough :p

Too much creative talent? non-sense! :)

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
11 days to go. I can see it easily hitting $3.25 million. Good chance at $3.5 million as well.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
A writer of his caliber will turn this game from from something silly good, into something of epic proportions.
Except that he's only committed to 10k words. Since the last game was what, 800k, that could be a fairly small portion.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Except that he's only committed to 10k words. Since the last game was what, 800k, that could be a fairly small portion.

I remember reading the blog post where by he explained how he ended up getting put into the kickstarter.

Pretty sure there was a "atleast 10k" "maybe less if you need".

That however doesnt mean he ll do only 10,000 words and then stop.
Maybe he has a easy time of things and ends up putting more into it and does 50k or something, whos to know?

Also didnt he ask for more? something about wanting to help with characters ect?

I believe him being there will help the game at the very least.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I remember reading the blog post where by he explained how he ended up getting put into the kickstarter.

Pretty sure there was a "atleast 10k" "maybe less if you need".

That however doesnt mean he ll do only 10,000 words and then stop.
Maybe he has a easy time of things and ends up putting more into it and does 50k or something, whos to know?

Also didnt he ask for more? something about wanting to help with characters ect?

I believe him being there will help the game at the very least.
Don't get me wrong, Patrick Rothfuss is one of my favorite fantasy authors, and I actually read the same blog post you're talking about. I just don't think it'll have as big an effect as you're expecting.

FWIW, here's what the blog says:
“Maybe 10,000 words,” Colin says. “More if you like. Less if you need it to be less.”​

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
PS:T was one of those game changers in terms of story. First game that I played where you could be good, evil, or in between and I felt like your actions really mattered. Many games have done it well since then, but it was super impressive in its day.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Yup. And Pat Rothfuss at $3.25 million. Quite a bit of talent signing on board. Would be cool if they could get Brandon Sanderson (Pat Rothfuss is a friend of his and there has been some discussion on his blog about him asking). I wonder if there is a point though where you can get too much creative talent.

Rumor is, Brandon S. @ $5M. Again, just a rumor, but... :eek:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Rumor is, Brandon S. @ $5M. Again, just a rumor, but... :eek:

At some point their talent is going to get so full of name dropping worthy star power that there is going to be no room for the name of the game on the marketing material!