Torment: Tides of Numenera *Kickstarter $4 million Achieved!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Gah damn you Kickstarter, just fresh off a $450 Ascension Online KS from last week ....

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I thought the guys doing Project Eternity (Obsidian) were the guys that did PS:T? Or do both projects have people from Black Isle/Interplay?

They both do, although Project Eternity has more of the original Black Isle team. There's also some crossover between the two (Chris Avellone was one of the main writers for Wasteland 2 IIRC)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
And the rate of funding is actually still increasing. Just since you posted that link, and I replied here, the projected is trending towards $31 million :D

Not that it will get to 30 million, but let's just say it goes to $10 million. That's way more than they need. I wonder what they would do then. They would have made a profit before the game is released.

I'm wondering if websites like Kickstarter should also add in a cap. Say no more funding after 5 million in this instance. Although I suppose that would hit them in the pocket.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Not that it will get to 30 million, but let's just say it goes to $10 million. That's way more than they need. I wonder what they would do then. They would have made a profit before the game is released.

I'm wondering if websites like Kickstarter should also add in a cap. Say no more funding after 5 million in this instance. Although I suppose that would hit them in the pocket.

Uh, they could do a lot with 10 million, or 30 million, and use it all. Full voice-acting, for instance. Better graphics, more levels, bigger worlds, more variety, more complexity, better voice actors, better prizes for pledge levels, etc.

I don't want a game built with what they "need", I want a game built to its full potential. I can settle for a Honda Civic, but why not go for the Ferrari? Or two Ferraris? Or two Ferraris and a DeLorean?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Uh, they could do a lot with 10 million, or 30 million, and use it all. Full voice-acting, for instance. Better graphics, more levels, bigger worlds, more variety, more complexity, better voice actors, better prizes for pledge levels, etc.

I don't want a game built with what they "need", I want a game built to its full potential. I can settle for a Honda Civic, but why not go for the Ferrari? Or two Ferraris? Or two Ferraris and a DeLorean?

Not really. Full voice acting? That will limit creativity. Better graphics? They're using the unity engine so there's only so far they can go. Bigger worlds for sure, but again there is a limit before the release date gets pushed out and before the story suffers as they are forced to drag it out to fill in the hours.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Not really. Full voice acting? That will limit creativity. Better graphics? They're using the unity engine so there's only so far they can go. Bigger worlds for sure, but again there is a limit before the release date gets pushed out and before the story suffers as they are forced to drag it out to fill in the hours.

Uh, to be fair, 30 million dollars buys a lot of voice acting. Don't need to make every word spoken by every character voiced, but for that kind of money, I'd want every line spoken by important characters and party members fully voiced.

Side note, I'm currently in the $250 tier. But that cloth map in the $500 tier is tempting me.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
They added some stretch goals. I think that they should have already had an "achieved" stretch goal in there at like 1.2 million, but oh well.

Edit: Actually, they did just that:

Thanks to your enthusiasm and support, we have already passed what would have been our first Stretch Goal and are excited to announce that, though you will play Torment as a specific character, we will provide you with the choice to choose your character’s gender when you begin a playthrough.

Not a huge stretch goal though :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
They added some stretch goals. I think that they should have already had an "achieved" stretch goal in there at like 1.2 million, but oh well.

Edit: Actually, they did just that:

Not a huge stretch goal though :p

Could be huge. This game is all about character development and depth, and I imagine many of the NPCs you encounter might react significantly differently towards a woman. That's at least 50% more writing.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Oh very good news, just noticed this.

What is fun is that while I was reading their update (titled "Our Sincerest Appreciation" as of typing this) I was seeing the funding counter going up from the corner of my eye by a couple of hundred bucks, haha. Maybe it's common in KickStarter projects but I myself am relatively new to this (only contributed to one project so far).

Also, I see this in their update (quoting):

" TL;DR: A gift for everyone; Stretch Goals, including some new talent joining the team and bonus rewards; Pay Pal coming tomorrow. "

Which means I'll be a contributor to a second KickStater project :)

I'm very excited for them, they must be joyful at the moment to say the least. I'm happy to see dedicated, passionate teams receiving this amount of attention (and money) when otherwise a few years ago (pre-KickStater years) they would have still been ignored by an industry who can't seem to stop thinking "COD! COD! COD! Or else!". I wish them the best of the best from the gaming (worldwide) community and I can't wait to see the result of this project.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Could be huge. This game is all about character development and depth, and I imagine many of the NPCs you encounter might react significantly differently towards a woman. That's at least 50% more writing.

That's true. I didn't think of it that way, I was just thinking cosmetically.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Glad you can choose your gender as the stretch goal. I prefer playing as female characters whenever possible for some reason (not because I'm a perv, well I am but that isn't the reason outside of MMO's :p )

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The $1.5 million stretch goal has been achieved!

> $1.5 Million: Richer Story – Writer Mur Lafferty and Designer Tony Evans join the Writing Team, plus a Bonus Novella)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Poor Chris Taylor.

Yeah, as I said in his KS thread I felt sorry for him. But the Wildman game didn't appeal to me at all so I wasn't going to give him my monies just out of pity.

If you want my cash: put together a team of people that I can trust, and start a project that I really want to play.

Hey Troika, get back together and do the Vampire: Bloodlines KS!

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Pity bioware couldn't take this route instead of selling out to EA. Kind of wonder if the bio-docs will start a new company when their anit-compete clauses expire and give this kick thing a try.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
So the $95, $110, $125, and $135 physical tiers are all the same, just different price points?

I'm at the $20 level just to make sure I'm in, but I really want that collectors edition physical tier... I hope some spots open up at the $95 tier, otherwise I will probably bite at that $125 tier. I'm excited for this game and having a sealed collectors edition box would be awesome.

Edit - Just got in on the $110 tier. Here's to hoping a $95 opens up.

Edit 2 - I wish they had a "notify me" option when a tier opens back up.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Yeah, as I said in his KS thread I felt sorry for him. But the Wildman game didn't appeal to me at all so I wasn't going to give him my monies just out of pity.

If you want my cash: put together a team of people that I can trust, and start a project that I really want to play.

Hey Troika, get back together and do the Vampire: Bloodlines KS!

Same here. I like some of Chris Taylor's games, but Wildman just wasn't appealing to me. For a good sequel to Vampire Bloodlines, I'd be jumping in with a hefty sum though.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I wish they had a pic of the poster. I also wish you could add the poster on to a digital order. I don't want to have to buy the physical box for $65 (over the $20 I'm in for the digital copy) just to be able to add a physical good to my order :(

I like game posters if they are done well.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I wish they had a pic of the poster. I also wish you could add the poster on to a digital order. I don't want to have to buy the physical box for $65 (over the $20 I'm in for the digital copy) just to be able to add a physical good to my order :(

I like game posters if they are done well.

The posters and maps probably haven't even been designed yet.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Nice, and were almost at the $2 million, +100% content goal.

It's pretty much a given that it will make the $2.5 m goal, for +150% content and George Ziets from Mask of the Betrayer.

Yeah it is still growing steady. Still trending towards about $30 million which means the hourly increase hasn't gone down by that much.