Torment: Tides of Numenera *Kickstarter $4 million Achieved!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've been keeping tabs on the tiers and have been able to make my way down from the $125 Collector's Edition to the $95 Collector's Edition. So pumped right now. I might put that extra toward Beta access or a T-Shirt.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I'm a bit miffed this new Torment game won't be taking place in the Planescape setting, but this is good news nonetheless..

A new D&D Planescape game would have been perfect to showcase the new D&D 4e rule set in a CRPG..

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Excuse my ignorance, but is this game going to be using a dnd ruleset at all? Also, if it's not going to be in the planescape setting, then is it going to be in any official dnd setting or just something made up by the developers?

I don't understand why when we have worlds completely fleshed out official by (whoever owns dnd now, wizards of the coast?), why we have to start fresh with a new setting?

Is this because they cant or don't want to afford licensing for the IP? This is also going to lead to the devs having to come up with their own ruleset, which the past has show usually tends to be quite shallow compared to dnd.

I could keep going on here, but dnd has books upon books upon books of monster compendiums, back stories, history, people, spells, magical items all with history, characters that are already fleshed out... You can't compete with that, why not work with it?

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Excuse my ignorance, but is this game going to be using a dnd ruleset at all? Also, if it's not going to be in the planescape setting, then is it going to be in any official dnd setting or just something made up by the developers?

I don't understand why when we have worlds completely fleshed out official by (whoever owns dnd now, wizards of the coast?), why we have to start fresh with a new setting?

Is this because they cant or don't want to afford licensing for the IP? This is also going to lead to the devs having to come up with their own ruleset, which the past has show usually tends to be quite shallow compared to dnd.

I could keep going on here, but dnd has books upon books upon books of monster compendiums, back stories, history, people, spells, magical items all with history, characters that are already fleshed out... You can't compete with that, why not work with it?

Read the Kickstarter page it answers some of your questions.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Because Wizards of the Coast is a bitch with it's IP and won't license it out for some reason. Simple as that really.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'm a bit miffed this new Torment game won't be taking place in the Planescape setting, but this is good news nonetheless..

A new D&D Planescape game would have been perfect to showcase the new D&D 4e rule set in a CRPG..

The Planescape setting was discontinued years ago. Even they could secure the licensing for it, which would be idiotic since Numenera allows much more control and customization, they'd still have to heavily modify the old PnP Planescape rules for CRPG AND the depth they're looking for.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
just realized there's a separate project called numenera. confusing.

Last edited:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Numenera is set a billion years in the future. Civilizations have risen and fallen on Earth. Even though the current inhabitants live at about a Medieval level of technology, the leftover remnants of these advanced societies lie all around them.

It's an interesting setting. I don't think I've ever heard of a setting set so far in the future.

Not actually sure if Earth will be habitable in a billion years but it is fantasy I suppose.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
It's an interesting setting. I don't think I've ever heard of a setting set so far in the future.

Not actually sure if Earth will be habitable in a billion years but it is fantasy I suppose.

I assume one of the "past" civilizations figured out how to prolong the life of the sun or something.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010

How old is the sun and how long will it really last?

It is about 4.6 billion years old, and halfway through its main sequence. In about 5 billion years it will expand to a red giant. We won't be here to worry about it though. It will be heating up gradually before that and will become too hot for human habitation in about 2 - 3 billion years.
1 billion years from now, the planet will still be habitable. However the atmosphere will slowly start to dry out.

Perphaps we ll all live underground (under the earth) and not require a atmosphere to survive.
Maybe whats left of the surface is just deserts where there is land, and the air so bad, you ll need masks to sustain yourself.

Or as you said:

I assume one of the "past" civilizations figured out how to prolong the life of the sun or something.

That said your right, ive never seen a Sci themed game set this far out into the future. I think its intresting all on its own, and will probably draw new fans to the torment game.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
That's not a new concept. Xenogears had this, as well as many other JRPGs. A billion is just a number, unless they have a number of generations and accounted for them in the game, you could throw out "any" random number for a storyline.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Right, the non-computer RPG system that will provide the setting and rules for this, since Planescape and D&D can't be licensed.

http://www.numenera.com/

(Funded, closed KS for creating the rulebook, etc.) = http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1433901524/numenera-a-new-roleplaying-game-from-monte-cook

So it is set in the Numenera universe. That's pretty cool as it sounds really interesting.

Also far, far future settings aren't that uncommon. You just have to look beyond the typical TV shows and games, i.e. novels.