'Top kill' plugs gulf oil leak, official says (FAILED)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The problem is, its not 100% free. Solar Panels cost money, more money than its costs for oil at this point.

Not to mention the energy used to make said solar equipment, and the waste associated with it. ROI is very low on solar at this point.

That said, China is doing it. They are the worlds largest producer of solar equipment, and power. But, they dont have the EPA either.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'm really trying to wrap my head around Obama's waffling right now. 1st it was ALL BP, blah, blah, we'll make them pay and our boots are on their neck, make no mistake, we will not rest, blah. Now it's the federal government has been in charge the entire time?

So this is a failure of the federal government it seems if they have been in charge the entire time. Seems like only when it possibly looked like it might be stopped did he come out and say the federal government owns it, before then it was always BP's problem.

I can see right through his bullshit and so can the rest of the country. A poll in USA today suggest most people consider this his Katrina - severely delayed reaction and incompetency follows.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
My son was telling me about this paper he was reading. It is a paper on how plants convert sunlight. It has been thought for a long time that it was basically a chemical process based on Chlorofyl. However, they had been perplexed about how the process is almost 100% efficient. Our solar panels are not even reaching an efficiency rating of 50%. The paper attempts to prove that the process in plants is working on the Quantum Physics level.

I think it might be possible to study the plants and build our own process using quantum physics to achieve a solar panel that is almost 3 times more efficient than what we have today. This is why we need more science majors.

Photosynthesis isn't anywhere close to 100% efficient. I think it's only slightly more efficient than solar panels, maybe up to 2x as efficient.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
My son was telling me about this paper he was reading. It is a paper on how plants convert sunlight. It has been thought for a long time that it was basically a chemical process based on Chlorofyl. However, they had been perplexed about how the process is almost 100% efficient. Our solar panels are not even reaching an efficiency rating of 50%. The paper attempts to prove that the process in plants is working on the Quantum Physics level.

I think it might be possible to study the plants and build our own process using quantum physics to achieve a solar panel that is almost 3 times more efficient than what we have today. This is why we need more science majors.

Photosynthesis is 100% efficient? Since when? What happens to all the wavelengths in the green spectrum?

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I'm really trying to wrap my head around Obama's waffling right now. 1st it was ALL BP, blah, blah, we'll make them pay and our boots are on their neck, make no mistake, we will not rest, blah. Now it's the federal government has been in charge the entire time?

So this is a failure of the federal government it seems if they have been in charge the entire time. Seems like only when it possibly looked like it might be stopped did he come out and say the federal government owns it, before then it was always BP's problem.

I can see right through his bullshit and so can the rest of the country. A poll in USA today suggest most people consider this his Katrina - severely delayed reaction and incompetency follows.

Its because it "looks" fixed so now he can start to take credit.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthetic_efficiency

:rolleyes:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So blaming Obama for the oil spill is idiocy?

He said he's been in control the entire time, from Day 1 - his words. Not blaming him for the spill, blaming him for inaction and his administrations incompetency. It would seem like weeks of bashing BP and keeping their boot on their throat is biting them in the ass. They showed no real action, this administration really didn't do anything - and yet they've been in charge the entire time.

This is turning out worse than Katrina because it's been going on for so long and only now when there is a chance of success is he stepping up.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I do blame obama for leaving the same corrupt bs from the bush admin in charge of the mms. He should of walked into government and slash burned the entire corrupt thing that bush left behind and he didn't. I do blame bush for being a complete and utter failure by every fucking metric. And I blame you retards for voting for him.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
He said he's been in control the entire time, from Day 1 - his words. Not blaming him for the spill, blaming him for inaction and his administrations incompetency. It would seem like weeks of bashing BP and keeping their boot on their throat is biting them in the ass. They showed no real action, this administration really didn't do anything - and yet they've been in charge the entire time.

This is turning out worse than Katrina because it's been going on for so long and only now when there is a chance of success is he stepping up.

OK, since you are blaming him for inaction, I am giving him full credit for the success of this action.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
OK, since you are blaming him for inaction, I am giving him full credit for the success of this action.

As soon as there is any action at all, maybe. He's in a lose-lose position.

If BP is successful folks can just say - why didn't you take action sooner? Why the delay and shift in message from "we've got our boot on BPs neck?"

If it fails - Obama taking ownership is failure.

lose/lose.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
No, idiocy is idiocy.

It's completely idiotic for anyone here to claim that the administration either effed this one up or has done a marvelous job at this point in time. Accordingly, there is a lot of idiocy going on in this thread.

- wolf

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
As soon as there is any action at all, maybe. He's in a lose-lose position.

If BP is successful folks can just say - why didn't you take action sooner? Why the delay and shift in message from "we've got our boot on BPs neck?"

If it fails - Obama taking ownership is failure.

lose/lose.

If BP is successful it's because Obama forced them to :) God Bless him for doing so and preventing more damage.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
It's completely idiotic for anyone here to claim that the administration either effed this one up or has done a marvelous job at this point in time. Accordingly, there is a lot of idiocy going on in this thread.

- wolf

So then you would agree that Bush had nothing to do with anything centering around hurricane katrina?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
So then you would agree that Bush had nothing to do with anything centering around hurricane katrina?

but because it was a "act of god" his lack of response AFTER had a devastating effect on people. I know your cognitive dissonance wont allow you to see the difference here but it does exist.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Federal government had expertise and resources to help Katrina victims. It has no expertise and resources to plug oil wells 1 mile deep. If you are advocating a government takeover of offshore drilling, so that it does, I am all for it.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The problem is, its not 100% free. Solar Panels cost money, more money than its costs for oil at this point.

Not to mention, that solar energy isn't just disappearing. It's used by natural systems already. You extract energy from a system, it will have effects. We may not know what those effects are until we do it, but the idea that solar panels provide free energy that was just being wasted is silly.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
but because it was a "act of god" his lack of response AFTER had a devastating effect on people. I know your cognitive dissonance wont allow you to see the difference here but it does exist.

And Obama lack of response (for a month) pertaining to the stoppage, containment, and cleanup of this oil spill hasn't/wont have devastating effects on people?