Top 3 WORST games that you bought in 2012?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Haha.. Same here. I cant believe I stayed up though the whole night waiting for it to go live enduring all the server issues.

Diablo 3 is definitely the most disappointing, horrible game of 2012. An EPIC fail if there ever was one. What a let down. Blizzard should be so ashamed, they should crawl into a very dark corner and stay there afraid to show themselves. It's a CRIME to ruin such a wonderful game after the legendary legacy it's predecessors left.

I got suckered into paying $60 and I want my money back.

My thoughts exactly.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
RAGE - Only played for about an hour but there's no compelling/enganging plot and its post-apocalyptic setting falls flat against Fallout's. Couldn't continue playing it.

Crysis 2 - A generic FPS in pretty cloth. Missions are invariably boring get-to-point-B-from-point-A. Finished the campaign but have no intention to replay it at all.

Might & Magic VI - I initially enjoyed it but realised only for the music. The gameplay itself was mediocre. Limited heroes choice with a lot of dumbed-down features. An affront to the HoMM series.

I did not purchase (nor played) Diablo 3, having read all the negative comments. I suspect if I did, the game will easily take the top 3 spots and make the above games look like winners.

Might and Magic 6 is a game from 1996?! I take it you mean HOMM 6?

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
1) Arma II (Day Z)

I can only think of one atm, since I don't tend to buy games unless I know they're great. I took exception to the Day Z mod based on a friend's suggestion and popular demand. Talk about a mistake. The game just had no appeal to me. Wander around for hours on some stupidly large map with no real objective. Throw in the hacking, exploiting, and bugs and the game only gets worse. My worst purchase since Dead Island in 2011.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Max Payne 3
Too many cut scenes and load times are too long. At least it was cheap. I am 5 minutes into it and I doubt I'll go on.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Chivalry:Medieval Warfare. Mostly it's launch.
I purchased it day one for full price, and it was buggy as hell. I ended up having to take a break it was so buggy (plus a few hackers started showing up in games) and by the time I got back a month later it was already 50% off and still fairly buggy. It's a bit better now after some patches and a steal for $10, I just wish I would have waited a month or two :colbert:
Didn't buy very many other games, and I enjoyed them all for the price I purchased them at.

edit: I forgot D3 came out this year, too. D3 was by far a bigger failure than chivalry launch. I had to return that game after I was close to max level 3 days in. Really soured me on Blizzard games.

Last edited:

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
It's essentially because I spent probably 100 hours playing and re-playing the first two in the series with the promise that I'd have half a dozen distinct saves and get radically different endings for each one.

Then I got ME3 and all of those hours got completely invalidated. No game has ever wasted that much of my time. And I don't mean wasted in the general sense, I mean wasted in terms of the game itself. It was like playing a soccer tournament only for the clock to stop in the last minute of the Championship, all team records cleared, and every team that made the playoffs getting to shoot penalty kicks to decide the winner. In short, it's the only game I've ever played that's taken 100 hours of effort and completely invalidated it.

nelson-muntz.gif

Oct 9, 1999
1) Arma II (Day Z)

I can only think of one atm, since I don't tend to buy games unless I know they're great. I took exception to the Day Z mod based on a friend's suggestion and popular demand. Talk about a mistake. The game just had no appeal to me. Wander around for hours on some stupidly large map with no real objective. Throw in the hacking, exploiting, and bugs and the game only gets worse. My worst purchase since Dead Island in 2011.

i'm 3 weeks into this game. i f'ving LOVE IT. haven't played a game this much in a while. bf3 lasted a few months. i only have quake 2 installed besides arma2/dayz. sure it has a lot of bugs but it's worth it. i spawn with an m4a1 cco SD every time so dying isn't a loss at all. the game needs a LOT of work and i hope the stand alone is great but this will do for now.