Top 3 WORST games that you bought in 2012?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
After everything that was said about it at release, you still went and bought it? Nobody to blame but yourself.

Yeah. I got it + the DLC for $4.99. I played a lot of Duke as a teenager and figured it couldn't be THAT bad. Boy was I wrong...

I didn't know they could legally make games that terrible :rolleyes:

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Diablo 3

I even paid for two copies, one for myself and the other for my wife. After a few hours of playing my wife turns to me and says "This game sucks". I totally agreed.

I tried firing it back up this weekend and I still think the same about it. The game stutters like hell so I turned it off after an hour or so.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Darksiders 2
Mark of the Ninja

Metro 2033
I expected an FPS but instead I got a long drawn out story where I'm lucky to play 5 minutes without it going into story mode. I also found it very unrealistic that it takes about 20 shotgun blasts to kill a friggin monkey.

1) Shotguns are not 1 hit kill weapons all the time.
2) You are fighting mutants most of the time(not monkeys)
3) The atmosphere is what makes the game, not the shooting so...yeah. Sounds like you wanted doom.

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Diablo 3 for sure...payed full price and maybe played.. 2 hours?

Haha.. Same here. I cant believe I stayed up though the whole night waiting for it to go live enduring all the server issues.

Diablo 3 is definitely the most disappointing, horrible game of 2012. An EPIC fail if there ever was one. What a let down. Blizzard should be so ashamed, they should crawl into a very dark corner and stay there afraid to show themselves. It's a CRIME to ruin such a wonderful game after the legendary legacy it's predecessors left.

I got suckered into paying $60 and I want my money back.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Diablo 3 is definitely the most disappointing, horrible game of 2012. An EPIC fail if there ever was one. What a let down. Blizzard should be so ashamed, they should crawl into a very dark corner and stay there afraid to show themselves. It's a CRIME to ruin such a wonderful game after the legendary legacy it's predecessors left.

They made, and are perhaps still making, money, hand over fist, so I imagine they're quite pleased with themselves. I'm not saying that that's in any way an indication that it's a good game, or not a gigantic disappointment for many (most?) people, but I imagine, as a business, Blizzard is quite content with the results.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I only bought 2 games in 2012, MOH Warfighter and Black Ops 2.

Black Ops 2............ the more I played it the more I realized it was total crap. Campaign, Multi, Zombies, didnt matter all 3 modes suck.

MOH Warfighter's single player was pretty good but the multi player is somewhat lacking.

Should have stuck with BF3 all along and saved my money.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Top would have to be Diablo 3. I'm not going to flame Blizzard too much since a lot of my disappointment stems from outgrowing the genre altogether. I'm sure if I went back to D2, I'd find it to be just as boring after I get past the initial nostalgia.

Kingdom of Amalur was another. I just grew bored of the game a couple of hours in. All the characters felt stale. The items lackluster. The combat was pretty much the only thing keeping me into the game, but even that got repetitious after a while. I just think the entire concept of the game was badly done. It just reminded me of a single player WoW.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Kingdom of Amalur was another. I just grew bored of the game a couple of hours in. All the characters felt stale. The items lackluster. The combat was pretty much the only thing keeping me into the game, but even that got repetitious after a while. I just think the entire concept of the game was badly done. It just reminded me of a single player WoW.

I completely agree with this, though I could tell from the first game play video I saw and stayed well away from it.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Yeah. I got it + the DLC for $4.99. I played a lot of Duke as a teenager and figured it couldn't be THAT bad. Boy was I wrong...

I didn't know they could legally make games that terrible :rolleyes:

I still don't know how in the hell they screwed up Duke Nukem forever so much. It's like they went out their way to purposely make the game terrible. They could have made the most generic FPS and it would have been better, I could not make it past the first 30 minutes or so of the game because it was so bad.

Instead of shooting bad guys they have you racing a remote control truck around a track to open a door..... right......

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I still don't know how in the hell they screwed up Duke Nukem forever so much. It's like they went out their way to purposely make the game terrible. They could have made the most generic FPS and it would have been better, I could not make it past the first 30 minutes or so of the game because it was so bad.

Instead of shooting bad guys they have you racing a remote control truck around a track to open a door..... right......

considering its history i'm not surprised it sucked ass.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011

You laugh, that actually was one of my favorite levels. There was two parts of the game I would ever consider playing again. That was one of them, the other was the level(s) where you get to drive the ... uh ... Duke monster truck thing. I really actually enjoyed that level, just because of the way it drove...was very arcade-y.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Diablo 3

In 2011, it was Civilization 5.

Two huge disappointments in two years. :(

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
TERA -Probably biggest waste of money on a game ever.
Kingoms of Amalur
SW: TOR
Diablo 3

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
RAGE - Only played for about an hour but there's no compelling/enganging plot and its post-apocalyptic setting falls flat against Fallout's. Couldn't continue playing it.

Crysis 2 - A generic FPS in pretty cloth. Missions are invariably boring get-to-point-B-from-point-A. Finished the campaign but have no intention to replay it at all.

Might & Magic VI - I initially enjoyed it but realised only for the music. The gameplay itself was mediocre. Limited heroes choice with a lot of dumbed-down features. An affront to the HoMM series.

I did not purchase (nor played) Diablo 3, having read all the negative comments. I suspect if I did, the game will easily take the top 3 spots and make the above games look like winners.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Anachronox is the only one I can think of, I truly thought it was awful. For all the praise it gets I was expecting something a bit more than box after endless box of the most mundane attempts at humorous dialogue I have ever experienced. It's a shame really, as the universe they created would have been very interesting if it wasn't filled with so many bad jokes and boring walls of text.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit:
Racing game that doesn't have support for a racing wheel. FAIL.

Lego Batman 2:
Phoned in mess. The first one was great, the second one should have been epic with all the extra heroes, but turned out boring.

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012
Diablo 3

In 2011, it was Civilization 5.

Two huge disappointments in two years. :(

Have you tried Civ 5 recently, it launched very buggy but they have been fixed now so if that was your issue I would give it another whirl. I personally prefer it to Civ 4 now (I know - please dont hurt me ... :) )

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Have you tried Civ 5 recently, it launched very buggy but they have been fixed now so if that was your issue I would give it another whirl. I personally prefer it to Civ 4 now (I know - please dont hurt me ... :) )

I may try it again, but it wasn't the bugs that bothered me. I disliked the design. It was clearly a game focused only around military might. The buildings were extremely simple, i.e. +1 to science. The one unit per tile was also very irritating to me.

I still play Civ 4: BTS quite regularly. Would love to see a sequel with a similar design and / or a sequel to Alpha Centauri.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I may try it again, but it wasn't the bugs that bothered me. I disliked the design. It was clearly a game focused only around military might. The buildings were extremely simple, i.e. +1 to science. The one unit per tile was also very irritating to me.

I still play Civ 4: BTS quite regularly. Would love to see a sequel with a similar design and / or a sequel to Alpha Centauri.

I'm playing through Civ V G&K right now.

I was like you, I DESPISED Civ V upon release and even later.

G&K has gone a long way towards making it a better game, and I'm actually enjoying myself at the moment.
It is still miles away from BTS, though. And the "one unit per tile" nonsense feels forced and "gamey", like a board game.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Here's a few I bought this year and didn't like or couldn't play.

Arkham City - Ran so poorly (specifically the constant frame rate drops) I had to stop playing after an hour or so. Seemed like an ok game otherwise.

Depths of Peril - Looked kinda cool but I got bored after an hour. Guess i'm just not into action RPG's anymore.

FEAR 3 - Just garbage all around.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Terraria and Diablo 3. Thankfully I tried out the Tera beta and did not buy it, but I would agree that it's a horrible game too.

Last edited: