Tool - 2016 Tour

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
you'll be happy to know they only play Jambi and Vicarious (with Pot as a rarity) off that album.

during the Halloween show Adam was getting ready to drop into the talk box solo and...nothing. talk box failed.

Ah good, those are the 3 good tunes (despite the awful lyrics in the pot) from that record. Jambi is fucking great. That rhythm is evil :p

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
you'll be happy to know they only play Jambi and Vicarious (with Pot as a rarity) off that album.

Live I have seen them play Vicarious, Jambi, Wings for Marie 1&2, Right in Two, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Intension. ...wait, that's pretty much the whole album. They also played Flood at that show, which they almost never get out.

Can't wait until they come around here. I'll probably see them 3 or 4 more times, Madison, Chicago, Indy, Minneapolis, or something like that.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Live I have seen them play Vicarious, Jambi, Wings for Marie 1&2, Right in Two, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Intension. ...wait, that's pretty much the whole album. They also played Flood at that show, which they almost never get out.

Can't wait until they come around here. I'll probably see them 3 or 4 more times, Madison, Chicago, Indy, Minneapolis, or something like that.

Yes, but they don't play that shit now.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
My favorite Tool concert moment:

Maynard: "Repeat after me: Think for yourself."
Crowd: "Think for yourself."
Maynard: "Question authority."
Crowd: "Question authority."
Maynard: "Think for yourself."
Crowd: "Think for yourself."
Maynard: "Question authority."
Crowd: "Question authority."
Mayrnard: (long pause) "And never do what anyone tells you to do."
Crowd: ...oops...

After the crown practically booed The Flaming Lips off the stage, Tool came out and played Intolerance, then walked off the stage as Paul told everyone, while dropping his bass on the stage, they were "done" because the Lips were his favorite band.

I think they meant it because it was 5 full minutes until Maynard came out and said the only way they would continue is if the entire crowd participated in a group hug. Keep in mind that back then most all Tool fans were tattooed muscly skinhead-metal types whose idea of cultural diversity was people that wore only black and people that wore mostly black.

"You shouldn't mind, the whole album is about butt-fucking anyway!"

At which point the audience started booing Tool, who promptly crashed into Prison Sex, shattering the tension.

Paul wore a Next Generation Starfleet uniform. lol

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
One of my co-workers was just looking at dates & i swore Philly was on the list as that was the closest to us. Wrong side of the state though.

edit-
just to clarify it was Puscifer tour dates we were looking at, not Tool.

Last edited:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Been awhile since I've seen tool. We will be at the Nashville show as well. I wish they'd play Undertow and Aenima back-to back and that's all. Well Opiate as well, but everything more recent is a huge drop of. Starts to get very repetitive. Still excited to see them again and with Primus.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Been awhile since I've seen tool. We will be at the Nashville show as well. I wish they'd play Undertow and Aenima back-to back and that's all. Well Opiate as well, but everything more recent is a huge drop of. Starts to get very repetitive. Still excited to see them again and with Primus.

They have an 11 minute version of Opiate which is all kinds of awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3CfeXIwy8g

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Man I hope they are actually going to release a new album as it's been over 9 years since the last one. I know a lot of people were not 100% happy with the last album, but there were three great songs and half of the rest was good with the other half kind of an acquired taste..

I will travel a bit to see them but will wait to see the full tour schedule. Living in SLC might be a problem but I can travel to Vegas or Phoenix or Denver if needed.

Pumped to see them 'getting the band back together'.

Brian

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'd love to see all of Lateralus live. One of my favorite albums of all time.

they could do an album a night and sell out a year's worth of shows.

FYI - check out the opening band if you're into industrial metal at all. I listen to a couple of clips and they have a KMFDM, Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly type vibe.

I like NIN but I hated Health; I'll give the opening band a shot, thanks.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
No mention of H. in this thread.
Do they play it live? How about 46 and 2?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
No mention of H. in this thread.
Do they play it live? How about 46 and 2?

They'll play 46&2 almost every show; I cannot even cite what year H (or Eulogy...) was last played live, but definitely not in the last 6 years.

But hey, they broke out No Quarter for the first time in 17 years last month, so anything is possible.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
they could do an album a night and sell out a year's worth of shows.

I like NIN but I hated Health; I'll give the opening band a shot, thanks.

I love NIN. The opening band is more like early 90s Wax Trax label band. Nothing like Health, which I'm not a fan of.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
2 tracks in, 3teeth is probably the best new band I've heard in a little while.

Captures that 90 industrial really well.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
How can you hate on The Pot. The lyrics are genius.

I haven't seen Tool since they toured with Tomahawk (was that Lateralus?)

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
They'll play 46&2 almost every show; I cannot even cite what year H (or Eulogy...) was last played live, but definitely not in the last 6 years.

But hey, they broke out No Quarter for the first time in 17 years last month, so anything is possible.

They played Eulogy at the show I went to last year. Also Right into Two is my favorite track from 10k days, love the drums in it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
They played Eulogy at the show I went to last year. Also Right into Two is my favorite track from 10k days, love the drums in it.

Wtf show was that?

And I guess I stand corrected.