News Toobin faps on Zoom

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I think he was being honest. There's nothing he could say to make it OK. Maybe he could have said "This isn't an excuse. What I did was not acceptable." Would that change things?

Not really. Especially considering this:

"During a pause in the call for breakout discussions, Mr. Toobin switched to a second call that was the video-call equivalent of phone sex, according to the two people familiar with the call, who spoke on the condition of anonymity."

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

"During a pause in the call for breakout discussions, Mr. Toobin switched to a second call that was the video-call equivalent of phone sex, according to the two people familiar with the call, who spoke on the condition of anonymity."

Yeah we're kind of stuck with the fact that he's a creeper.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Are we sure that's what he was looking at?

I mean, I keep checking 538, look at the projections, and then struggle to contain my urges. Gotta stay pure until Nov 3

• Haha
Reactions: Aegeon and pmv
Feb 4, 2009
You looking at this form a 9 to 5 punch clock job and any jobs don't work that way. If he was on the call minimized it and went shopping for a new car would that be something he shoudl be fired for? Even if he put in 14 hours of work regularly and was a major contributor for employer?

If he thought he turned sound and video off and minimized it its weird he couldn't wait until some other time but it isn't OMG he is horrible.

zoom meeting for work is a meeting for work. Irrelevant how many hours he worked that day or week. Work time is work time.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Title says it all.

That is an interesting piece. Beatings will continue until morale improves!

It's just a wordy veiled excuse that Puritanicals abuse others over such scandals, therefore he should be next in a long line to be tarred and feathered. As I am sure is already occurring. People involved in such accidents have their professional lives ended. Their income eliminated. Houses foreclosed on. Think about the actual punishment that occurs, does it match the crime?

I think I'd be less bothered if America actually had safety nets. Granted, he may be rich enough to be immune to such pain. But that's just one lucky SOB in a long list of those less fortunate.

On a curious note, given their greater expressiveness towards nudity, I wonder how European countries would handle similar situations.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I'm agnostic, but read the phrase "judge not, least ye be judged" somewhere. What he did wasn't cool at all, but people who weren't on the call and didn't see anything to be offended over, still want to cancel him because we just love the taste of blood. Kinda shocked none of his coworkers said anything to him. "Um, Jeff, we can see you."

Unless there is more to the story, like a history of this kind of thing, it's a bit harsh to ruin a guys entire career over a single incident of stupidity, even a colossally gross one.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Seems like very, very, strange behaviour to me. Completely inappropriate, but, so peculiar that it would make me hesitate to be really vindictive about it. I just can't think why you would do such a thing.

Mind you, I think I said the same about that woman who pretended to be black. I guess there's a lot of bad behaviour that I struggle to see what the pay-off is.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Would be nice if our society was less puritanical and more forgiving of such basic human mistakes.
This has nothing to do with being puritanical. Jacking off is something you just don’t do during a business meeting, period. There is no excuse for it, ever.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Seems like very, very, strange behaviour to me. Completely inappropriate, but, so peculiar that it would make me hesitate to be really vindictive about it. I just can't think why you would do such a thing.

Mind you, I think I said the same about that woman who pretended to be black. I guess there's a lot of bad behaviour that I struggle to see what the pay-off is.

Hard to be the judge of something you can't understand.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah we're kind of stuck with the fact that he's a creeper.

why? If it's just consensual phone sex and he simply forgot to close out the other meeting, then how does that make him creepy?

what's wrong with phone sex?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Everybody's hung up on the specifics of the act. I want to know if he had green screen enabled and what kind of backdrop his package was seen dancing in front of?

Was it a generic office picture or something more adventurous like Niagara Falls?

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Really? It's normal for married men to have phone sex? With someone who is not their wife?

I'm not trying to be a smartass really. Each response was just attempted to be a simple reflection of what was stated to help facilitate each of you trying to process this bizarre situation. I don't think there is a "right" answer, but maybe we can be more productive dealing with what it stirs up within us to come up with better answers for ourselves.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
seinfeld covered it:

tenor.gif

was-that-wrong-gif.gif

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
zoom meeting for work is a meeting for work. Irrelevant how many hours he worked that day or week. Work time is work time.
The activity he was partaking in aside most large employers look at results. Once you get to a to a prominent position at a large company, the notion that you would be fired for blowing off a conference call is preposterous. The company actually value you and you aren't just some peon they want to try and replace.

Nov 8, 2012
I've been seeing folks with my employer taking a different approach. Normally we don't do cameras, but since we work with other companies we also like to respect the work culture of others...

So we turn the camera on when we're making our presentation and then turn it off immediately after we switch to the next presenter.

But yeah, regardless, I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen 100+ stories of this happening already.

Hoping for gender equality and next up is a female masturbating.