Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah, I think you're on your own there. I don't mind the odd QTE here and there (like pressing X to have Lara grab the ledge if she's slipping) but this, "Uh oh! Someone grabbed you! Now wiggle your controller around really fast to escape," stuff is just irritating.

Either give me a cutscene or let me play and choose. Don't mix them.

im over 7 hours into the game and the whole 'wiggle the stick' qte has happened maybe like 5-6 times that i can remember. im with CAP, i have no issues with the very limited use of QTE's.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I'm only about an hour in the game. I'm wondering if you guys had issues with the russian's choke quick time event. Lara died like 20 times before I got the correct buttons to press. I've read that each QTE should show an icon (skull, hand, etc.), but for the choke part, there were no clues which buttons to use at all. I think it actually ended up requiring pressing F twice. o_O

Yeah, this one is what has me so pissed about the QTE's in the game. I finally looked into the keybindings and the vague symbols for the QTE were in the controls. Once I figured that out I finally finished it.

That russian guy choked her ass about 50 times before I got it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Just remembered the one other issue I have with the game. The optional tombs are a complete joke. They are all literally 2 rooms with 1-2 puzzles to solve in the first room and the second room is just for the treasure chest. I don't know about anyone else, when I think of a tomb, I think of a big ass temple/cave or something where I have to do a fair bit of work to get to the end. With these optional ones it takes longer walking to and from them in there snaked out path than it does to actually do it and get the treasure.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
hate QTEs...i got stuck at the russian guy too because I didn't know what key i was supposed to press at first.

and the wolf scramble events suck. they are so hard to see and shoot, especially with the bow.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Just remembered the one other issue I have with the game. The optional tombs are a complete joke. They are all literally 2 rooms with 1-2 puzzles to solve in the first room and the second room is just for the treasure chest. I don't know about anyone else, when I think of a tomb, I think of a big ass temple/cave or something where I have to do a fair bit of work to get to the end. With these optional ones it takes longer walking to and from them in there snaked out path than it does to actually do it and get the treasure.

Yeah, the risk/reward ratio is sad with the tombs. First off, there's something funny when you get to the entrance and the message says "Secret Lost Tomb Found", yet the entrance is out in the open. Second, the reward of about 1500 XP and an amount of salvage seems to be too great considering you only have to manage one puzzle. Hope this is expanded in the next game.

Necc

Feb 15, 2011

Clearly tombs were a second thought in this game, it's more like an interactive action adventure movie with lot of explotions mixed with a little exploration. they took a diffrent approach this time around but ithink it's refreshing and they did a great job.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Clearly tombs were a second thought in this game, it's more like an interactive action adventure movie with lot of explotions mixed with a little exploration. they took a diffrent approach this time around but ithink it's refreshing and they did a great job.

Honestly, it feels like they let the interns do the optional tombs. Don't get me wrong, I love the game (quite a bit actually), but come on, the tombs are a joke and when it is part of your name and the series history they should be a bit more then what they are, outside of Lara the next thing that comes to mind when you say Tomb Raider, is tombs!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't like how in assassins creed 2 and brotherhood, so on those assassins tombs required way too much platforming and stuff to get to the end. They were all similar and got old after sometimes. I still have tomb raider for ps3 to finish I think that one is underworld.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Uh-oh. Apparently, if you're playing the game in fullscreen mode (which I suspect most of you are), you're missing out on some of the graphical effects.

Someone made a gallery of screenshots, comparing fullscreen mode to windowed mode: http://steamcommunity.com/app/203160/discussions/0/846947231090179422/

Interesting. To be honest, missing out of lens flare, water drops on the camera, and some over bloomed fire isn't really missing out imo lol

I like the way a lot of the screenshots look without it better than with it.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yea I really don't think this is goy material. I means it is not so bad as an interactive movie or something along those lines but I enjoyed dishonored >> (finsihed it just before tomb raider came out). At least for me this is a so so game - also i kind of dislike the artificial borders; your not suppose to go that way so the plants push you back :)

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Honestly, it feels like they let the interns do the optional tombs. Don't get me wrong, I love the game (quite a bit actually), but come on, the tombs are a joke and when it is part of your name and the series history they should be a bit more then what they are, outside of Lara the next thing that comes to mind when you say Tomb Raider, is tombs!

I played this for a bit at a friends house and I agree with what you're saying here. The game is ok but the lack of decent puzzles during the tomb exploration is definitely a let down for me as i'm a big fan of the older games precisely for that reason.

I'll prob wait till this one hits $20 or so since I already have Uncharted 3 to play through and satisfy my need for third person action. :)

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Direct2Play has it for $30

http://www.direct2play.com/cart?add&id_product=343&token=ce970159f6370caa73e0d4a3f63f049a

Activates on Steam. I bought BO2 there and had no problems with it.

A lot of people in the for sale forum here are selling it for that price (received it with their new AMD GPU).

Those sites can be real iffy because they are grey market, a lot of times they get russian keys and while there is no difference in the game most the time they can be revoked if SquareEnix wants Steam to do it (they don't have a history of doing it from what I know, but just all fyi for people).

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
A lot of people in the for sale forum here are selling it for that price (received it with their new AMD GPU).

Those sites can be real iffy because they are grey market, a lot of times they get russian keys and while there is no difference in the game most the time they can be revoked if SquareEnix wants Steam to do it (they don't have a history of doing it from what I know, but just all fyi for people).

I think this came up when BO2 was released, and it was determined that this site in particular was a legit site. I dont think I would have bought from there if it wasnt.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I think this came up when BO2 was released, and it was determined that this site in particular was a legit site. I dont think I would have bought from there if it wasnt.

I dunno, especially for a game that was just released 2 days ago, it's setting off all sorts of alarm bells in my head. If it's too good to be true...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It's a great game good thing I bought it. Tomb raider underworld for ps3 was a lot harder. I was stuck in the beginning of the under water part. This one is easier and less exploring but the story and the way it plays is like a movie.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Game keeps getting better. Some great "flee" scenarios. Combat is getting tougher. A little over halfway done, I think, and I've played 12 hours.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree that the tombs are a little disappointing, but I feel that it's made up for the GREAT overworld. The older Tomb Raider games did not have this, and I feel like that's why the Tombs were so great; that's all they had. To me, the overworld is one big Tomb.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
BTW, anyone else think "hmmm...that background music is reminiscent of Serious Sam" when going through Shanty Town?

Sephire

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2011
tumblr_mjbrhimXQw1qm2lgno1_1280.jpg

:wub: