Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I had the same problem with the QTE sequences early on.

My main gripe with the game as a gun enthusiast is the entire weapon upgrade logic, or lack thereof. Pistol starts as what looks like a Beretta 92SB, do the "vented port slide" upgrade (which doesn't have a vent on it anyway), and the slide looks like it came from a 1911. I guess they thought this game would be illegal in NY, since the pistols start with seven rounds. Find a Type 100 SMG, "upgrade" it to an AK-47...er, what? Stuff like that.

Aside from needing to stretch my suspension of disbelief for that stuff, the game is pretty fun.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

My main gripe with the game as a gun enthusiast is the entire weapon upgrade logic, or lack thereof. Pistol starts as what looks like a Beretta 92SB, do the "vented port slide" upgrade (which doesn't have a vent on it anyway), and the slide looks like it came from a 1911. I guess they thought this game would be illegal in NY, since the pistols start with seven rounds. Find a Type 100 SMG, "upgrade" it to an AK-47...er, what? Stuff like that.

Aside from needing to stretch my suspension of disbelief for that stuff, the game is pretty fun.

I think the logic behind that was she was upgrading the gun based on parts she finds on the island. So WW2 parts, whatever washed up the shore, etc. Obviously that makes even less sense, but they wanted weapon unlocks.

OptimumSlinky

Nov 3, 2009

Yeah, how a WWII sub-machine gun suddenly transforms into an AK was kind of irritating me. Regarding the pistols, however, she actually gets new one mid-way through from Roth, and his are decidedly more like her original 1911s in the first game.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
wow, did anyone notice that Paris Jackson's picture is in Tomb Raider? When Reyes pulled out the picture?

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
wow, did anyone notice that Paris Jackson's picture is in Tomb Raider? When Reyes pulled out the picture?

I saw the picture. Not really seeing the relevance if it's Paris Jackson.

Finished my playthrough with 88% done after 14 hours. Quite enjoyable.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
How the freak do you use the scope on the rifle? I mean like 4 puts on the silencer; is there a way to actually use the rifle in 'sniper' mode ?

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
How the freak do you use the scope on the rifle? I mean like 4 puts on the silencer; is there a way to actually use the rifle in 'sniper' mode ?

Using keyboard, I think it's shift. Check the controls. On that note, why are you using the rifle? You have a perfectly good bow! :D

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Because in farcry 1; I love snipping from miles away :)

Anyways I'm just about finished so I thought i would enjooy a few snips....
-
anyways shift is defnitly not the key. key mapping doesn't seem to show an option here. Are you sure it is possible to use the scope ?

Using keyboard, I think it's shift. Check the controls. On that note, why are you using the rifle? You have a perfectly good bow! :D

Last edited:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Yeah, how a WWII sub-machine gun suddenly transforms into an AK was kind of irritating me. Regarding the pistols, however, she actually gets new one mid-way through from Roth, and his are decidedly more like her original 1911s in the first game.

How about how half of the structures that she steps on collapse. Or the other characters warping around lightly armed. I guess they are just lucky.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What constitutes the completion percentage ? Picking up the treasures and nicknacks?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Man, I'm slow. I'm at 19 hours, about 78% complete and still not done.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Because in farcry 1; I love snipping from miles away :)

Anyways I'm just about finished so I thought i would enjooy a few snips....
-
anyways shift is defnitly not the key. key mapping doesn't seem to show an option here. Are you sure it is possible to use the scope ?

You don't actually use/see through the scope. Instead, you slightly zoom in on the area, but it's still in over-the-shoulder view. On the controller, it's left or right thumb control click.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Bleh; that Z on the keyboard but it is the same 'zoom' as with the bow. I wanted to snipe like Roft; anyways I'm finished and have no super duper desire to play again. Was only about 85% complete (missed a lot of stuff at the start of the game).

You don't actually use/see through the scope. Instead, you slightly zoom in on the area, but it's still in over-the-shoulder view. On the controller, it's left or right thumb control click.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm still dragging on in crisis 3 I need to finish that first. But I don't find it as fun.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
funny when I searched for the actress of tomb raider's californication scene. It almost feels like lara croft getting slammed!

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I think so. I finished the game at like 88% Went back and got a few more and it keeps going up.

I'll confirm that. Completion is everything. Missions, challenges, collectibles. Not sure about levels or weapon upgrades.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I just got it!

If it's a bad game, if the graphic sucks, if the story is poorly done, or if the chair gives up under me while playing it, then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room.

/godfather:p

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I don't know if I've said this already in this thread, but I highly recommend everyone play this game with the Xbox 360 controller (preferably the wired one, so you don't have to mess with syncing or dedicating a controller to your PC so you don't turn on your 360). Yes, aiming will probably be worse compared to a mouse, but this game was designed with a controller in mind.